Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Button for Mclaren 2008

• 14-09-2007 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Anyone taking odds? - Alonso will defo jump ship.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

No, I think button's pretty comitted to honda, but I guess it depends on how long his contract runs for. He already made the mistake of worming his way out of a williams drive, at least if he stays with honda, things can only improve. Not that I wouldnt like to see him at mclaren, but might be a bit boring with the 2 british driver there, imagine how bad the itv commentry would get

Still has to be seen if Alonso will be allowed leave mclaren. If he will keep winning races for the team then might put up with the problems. What they could do though is bring in another driver and make alonso sit out the rest of the season, hamilton wins the championship and Alonso gets some punishment. Would be funny, but don't think anybody other than hamilton fans would agree wiith it.

But yeah, don't think Alonso is going anywhere, unless somebody comes in with stupid amounts of money to take him off the team hands

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Quoth yesterday's Popbeetch.
    >> F1 spygate <<
    Fast car merry-go-round

McLaren face more spying allegations today.
    Gossip behind the scenes says Fernando Alonso
    is looking to jump ship at the end of the
    season whatever happens, with a big money
    move to a lesser team, rather than take a
    sabbatical. McLaren are looking at bringing
    in Jenson Button to be the number two
    driver at the end of next season. Delighted to
    get back in a good car, Button is unlikely to
    be any trouble to the McLaren team.

But the really sensational rumour concerns who
    provided the extra evidence which shopped
    McLaren the FIA. Initially fingers were being
    pointed at Alonso but F1 insiders tell us that
    the smart money is on Hamilton Snr, who was
    angry at the team for keeping Lewis in second
    place in the last race. Surely not?
    Hardly the F1 gospel but an interesting yarn nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I seriously doubt Mercedes would be too happy with two British drivers in the team, also I can't see Button moving to a team where he WILL be slower than another British driver.. he'd be shooting himself in the foot. Complete rumour mill I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Denis has said in the past that Alonso is free to leave at the end of this season. Theres talk of Rosberg going to Mclaren, I would really like to see that happen as he seems to be a great driver with a great attitude.

By the way the ITV website says its Denis that has provieded the new info to teh FIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Denis has said in the past that Alonso is free to leave at the end of this season. Theres talk of Rosberg going to Mclaren, I would really like to see that happen as he seems to be a great driver with a great attitude.

By the way the ITV website says its Denis that has provieded the new info to teh FIA.

This would suggest he wouldnt be allowed to leave
    http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/61444

interesting that dennis provided the info to the fia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Button is old hat. Who cares? They should get Trulli if they can. He has brilliant experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Yeah, Rosberg would make sense. The would have to buy his contract but thats no problem.

Hedifield would have gotten the drive but he extend his BMW contact a few weeks ago. BMW will not let him go.

I dont think Jensen would want to be Lewis's teammate. Lewis is too fast for Jensen and would damage his career. That said, Rosberg, and most other top drivers will not be very keen to partner Lewis id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

On Radio 5 Live, Maurice Hamilton mentioned a rumour about Alonso being so desperate to get out of McLaren he is willing to move to a smaller team - his manager was seen coming out of the Red Bull motorhome (allegedly:confused: ...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Can't understand why he is in such a hurray to laeave McLaren as they are still giving him equal status with Lewis despite everything that has gone on. At least at McLaren he would have a good shot at next years championship. Dont think he would have nearly as good a shot at Renault or Red Bull.

If he does go, I think it will be to Renault or toyota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

ferrari are after him to to replace massa apperantly

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~154548.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Ah, silly season. Button in a mclaren when people like rosberg are around? balls. Alonso in a red-bull? Ha! It's all crap that some hack is making up. In other news, I've signed for the 2nd renault seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Maurice Hamilton suggesting that Alonso may go.....hmmm, could it be that Lewis realises that the McLaren is the best seat to be in(except maybe a Ferrari) and that if he could get rid of Alonso and replace him with a less experienced and less successful driver, then Lewis would be the clear number one and could get the team to totally support him, something that shouldn't happen with the world champion in the team alongside him.

Button's whole career has been about promise not about results.

Mercedes would hate two British drivers in the team, not to mention that if Alonso is forced out there could be a backlash in Spain. If Alonso has to go then I think Mercedes would like Rosberg, as he is German born, but whether he has the strength of personality to face down Hamilton, well thats open to debate. Adrian Sutil is also German, but probably he needs another season or two, before he'd be ready for a jump to a front line team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Nah, 2 British drivers would narrow sponsorship options. If Alonso does leave though it would be very interesting to see who would step in there and how they would cope against Lewis. I can't see Rosberg moving there though - an established Hamilton would be too potent a force and Keke's boy has big ambitions of his own. I still hasve my doubts about Rosberg though - Webber tucked him up good-and-proper last year.

How about Mark Webber though? His qualifying ability is good enough to ensure a few sulky temper-tantrums in Camp Hamilton but in a race situation Hamilton would (I think) have the definite edge.

DC? Not a long term solution maybe but I reckon he'd be happy to have the opportunity to end his career in a top car.

A Koveleinen/Alonso swap? Possible if Renault / McLaren were on better terms maybe. Kovy is developing into a great little driver though - that first GP was an anomoly and probably due to the fact he was testing for so long and not racing.

Advertisement