Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upstairs loo

Options
  • 14-09-2007 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

thinking of putting a loo in an attic conversion. the existing loo is to the front of the house and the waste pipe from it goes into a hole in the floor which i presume is goin into the main pipes outside. could i run a 4'' wavin from this hole into the attic space behind the new loo and then tee into it for the downstairs loo or do they have to be on seperate pipes. the pipe for allowing the gasses to escape is cast iron and located further down the outside of the house. if i could use the same outflow pipe for both loos it would save me digging up the pavement outside to tap into the main drain.
    is there a fitting that will allow me to tee straight from the back of the jaxx into the vertical piece of wavin. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Northdublin

Yes you can T into an existing 4" waste, but I can't quite picture your description of the existing setup. Just a thought - how are you going to fill the cistern in the new loo up stairs assuming the storage tank is on the same level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

ok.....from the proposed loo on the upper level the 4 '' waste will exit the back of the jaxx and trough the wall into the attic space left near the eves of the front of the house over the existing bathroom. using a 90 degree bend it will come trough the ceiling in the bathroom and straight down into the existing hole in the floor that the existing jaxx is plumed into. just above the floor level ill put a tee that the new downstairs toilet will plumb into. this will mean that the new downstairs toilet will be further out from the wall than it allready is but the right choice of new toilet should sort that out.
    the problem of filling the cistern upstairs i never gave much thought.......could some sort of a pump be used to counteract the lack of gravity.......the upstairs will be for guests and not used on a daily basis so a noisey pump wont make much differance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

u might consider using a Saniflo loo [ http://www.saniflo.com/ ]which has what is essentially a blender on the outflow and it will allow u use a much smaller pipe: the output can also be pumped upwards.

To answer ur question, yes u can use a tee piece [ http://ie.wavin.com/master/master.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374305452017&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442042591&middleTemplateName=oc_middle_product_detail_I ] on the back of the existing loo and go up into the attic, but u need to ensure u have the correct slope on the horizontal part of the pipe and make sure it is supported sufficiently.

just see ur most recent post: your plan will not look pretty in the downstairs loo

just see ur most recent post: your plan will not look pretty in the downstairs loo

yeah i understand what yer sayin, i plan to box around the pipe with a units either side for storage. these are old cottages and ied imgagine the pipes underground outside are clay or terracotta and would be a nightmare to tee into........i might dig up just outside where i think the existing soil pipe goes out. all i can see on the inside is a hole in the floor so it must go down a fair bit before it tees into the main. thanks for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

if the loo is for infrequent use you could get a small tank similar to the expansion tank used in central heating systems and place it above the cistern. This could be filled by a branch off the rising main.

You seem to be doing all the waste pipe work in door. Does the waste pipe not runn out side from the original toilet. If so join at that point. Exit the attic to join with the main waste outside, otherwise you will have great sounds effects every time some one uses the loo. Unless of course the main waste is in the wall.

• Advertisement

the one and only main waste outlet is in the floor of the bathroom directly behind the only loo.......cause the toilet is to the front of the house putting the pipe on the outside would look a bit manky, but if it meant an easier and queit install it would be worth it. outside oppisite theback of the existing jaxx is a drain cover which contains a 3 way aj, if i could dig down to it and replace the pipes from there all the way back i could put the new pipes for the upstairs and downstairs loos any where. ive yet to take out the old downstairs loo and have a good look but i reckon ill have to dig up the pavement outside if i want it done neatly on the inside. thanks for yer help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Just feed the toilet cistern directly from the mains, if your on a budget it makes things simpler for you.

Is it not possible for you to go outside with the pipe and connect to the external pipe ?
    The description of what you are thinking of doing ,will give you more work than needed.

_Brian_ wrote:
    Just feed the toilet cistern directly from the mains, if your on a budget it makes things simpler for you.

Is it not possible for you to go outside with the pipe and connect to the external pipe ?
    The description of what you are thinking of doing ,will give you more work than needed.

no there is no visable pipe inside or out, just a hole in the floor where the loo is connected.......the loo is on the ground floor and the waste pipe are in the concrete under the house.
    the water mains comes n right behind where i wnat to out the loo upstairs so that wont be difficult fot the plumber to sort out

Do you live in an ex-council house ? ,I know that houses around killbarrick/coolock have the toilets at the front downstairs.

I've seen jobs done alright ,where the pipe was brought down in boxing and brought outside underground.
    Your best bet ,might be to move the position of the toilet downstairs to suit the pipe coming down and alter the original pipe under the ground ,so that it goes up in the corner.That would probably be the least amount of work .

_Brian_ wrote:
    Do you live in an ex-council house ? ,I know that houses around killbarrick/coolock have the toilets at the front downstairs.

I've seen jobs done alright ,where the pipe was brought down in boxing and brought outside underground.
    Your best bet ,might be to move the position of the toilet downstairs to suit the pipe coming down and alter the original pipe under the ground ,so that it goes up in the corner.That would probably be the least amount of work .

yep i reckon yer right. my reason for posting was to make sure that a flushed toilet on the upper level wouldnt have any effect on the downstairs toilet if they are on the same soil pipe, ie the waste from upstairs doesnt end up in the downstairs loo......but i reckon thats what the traps are for

• Advertisement

yep i reckon yer right. my reason for posting was to make sure that a flushed toilet on the upper level wouldnt have any effect on the downstairs toilet if they are on the same soil pipe, ie the waste from upstairs doesnt end up in the downstairs loo......but i reckon thats what the traps are for

I'm not sure you caught what I was saying.

What I meant was that you could dig up your existing connection downstairs ,install a long sweeping bend sticking up in the corner.
    Then tee off for the toilet in the bathroom downstairs above floor level.

The most important thing is to make sure ,that there is a long sweep on the downstairs elbow. Otherwise whatever comes down from the attic will crash in the corner ,if you know what I mean.
    The long sweep is essential.

You'll also need an open vent installed. You might find it easier to break out with a tee upstairs for this.

Advertisement