Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think Vodafone just hit 3.6...AT LAST!

Options
  • 14-09-2007 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Right out here in 3g hyperspace, where the only way to get 3g is to use a signal booster or nail the modem to the chimney...and the field engineers sacrifice laptops to me as a minor deity for being able to get 3g AT ALL...

...I just downloaded a winamp upgrade and got a Getright read of over 105kbps most of the time...

As the connection has been curiously unstable and eccentric for the past few days I think this must be the 3.6 upgrade online?

I have NEVER seen more than about 40kbps download, even in the front of the Dragon, with 5 bars, right UNDER a major Dublin 2 transmitter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I take it it's 105 kB/s (roughly what an eircom 1 Mbit package delivers) you meant to say.

As for that transmitter (the big one near the Central Bank), it's mainly microwave links to other exchanges like Crown Alley and the like, so I doubt they'd use it as a mobile mast. Too many buildings to use nearby for mobile base stations;)

So I doubt that the firmware upgrade or whatever has taken place, but probably some repair work or improvements to the backhaul and routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Trust me, where I live they don't have dirt on a mast without me knowing about it! Let alone actual repair needs. :D

I get 5 bars in the Dragon wherever it comes from...

I checked with Vodaphone today and it is confirmed, the network is being steadily upgraded to 3.6.

I only have Huawei 620 1.8mbps card so all I will get is an increase in speed up to a point, and yes, I DO mean it is running at about what Eircom's 1mb package delivers...for the first time.

3g speed seems to work differently to DSL speed and not be directly comparable.

Pre HSDPA was round 25 kbps, HSDPA was around 45 kbps, this is a serious speed leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

please use a capital B for bytes. b and B are different you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

aare wrote:
    ....out here in 3g hyperspace, where the only way to get 3g is to use a signal booster .....

What is this booster you speak of and where can I get one. The best I have ever managed at home is (GPRS)56KB- this is still better than the dialup I use. If I set the vodafone card to look for 3g only it sees the network but the singal is not strong enough to logon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

How good is the Vodafone broadband in general? Is it reliable and what are the speeds like? Is it just as bad as threee seems to be

• Advertisement

Here is antenna:
    www.g-com.co.uk

Look for the F718, but it only works with pcmcia card. You MIGHT get 3g, I didn't for a while, but I certainly got 3g when phones and usb card still couldn't pick it up.

It's fairly good now, about equivalent of a 1mbps landline...but it can get patchy.

There is also a nice new upgrade (version 9.1) of software for the Huawei e620 nobody told me about http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10_productsupport/laptop_connectivity/10_hsdpa_datacards/30_huawei_hsdpa/10_software/p_software.jsp

Downloading now, so we shall see.

Advertisement