Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door handles

Options
  • 14-09-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I am hoping someone out there in "BoardsLand" will be able to help me with this???

I am a disabled person(wheelchair user to be exact) and I am looking for advice on door handles for opening/closing a house front door. Myself and my father are discussing getting a ramp built at the front of the house(from the bottom of the garden up to the front door).

The front door of the house opens inwards(as normal), and this would create a problem while trying to close it from the outside. I am wondering if anyone can suggest any modifications that may be available??

If anyone has any ideas, can you post them here, or e-mail me at: wheelz97@hotmail.com.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

First thing that springs to mind would be to fit a door closer on the door. Of course you would have to make sure that the return mechanism is set relatively soft so it closes the door over to within grasping distance but will not actually shut it so as to prevent accidentally locking a person out.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SpicyNoodle

The door closer that soundman suggested is a good idea but if thats too much trouble to get around, you could always try some rope. Tie/nail the rope to the front handle/door, pull the rope to close the door behind you. Very basic idea, but might be worth a shot.

P.S. A few of my wheelchair user friends have trouble using those door closers, they can be hard to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The door closer that soundman suggested is a good idea but if thats too much trouble to get around, you could always try some rope. Tie/nail the rope to the front handle/door, pull the rope to close the door behind you. Very basic idea, but might be worth a shot.

P.S. A few of my wheelchair user friends have trouble using those door closers, they can be hard to open.

What I was thinking of, was, getting a handle fitted on the door(near to the hinged side) where I would be able to pull it closed after me, instead of having to reach back in to the original handle and try to move my wheelchair at the same time....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Something similar to the the remote control that will open a garage door?Can something along these lines be obtained? Good luck with your search

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SpicyNoodle

What I was thinking of, was, getting a handle fitted on the door(near to the hinged side) where I would be able to pull it closed after me, instead of having to reach back in to the original handle and try to move my wheelchair at the same time....?

That is probably the easiest way, and most effective. Hope you can sort it out. Do you have contact with the IWA? the may be able to offer some advice to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement