Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fake Taxi on Dawson Street

Options
  • 14-09-2007 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anybody see the pics in todays paper of the Fiat Punto pictured on Dawson Street during the week posing as a taxi? Bad enough trying to pull this stunt off with a PUNTO but the lad doing it had used a cardboard Taxi sign LOL

Unbelievably the guy wasnt charged :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's hard to read the plate. Is it a G reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Apparently it was a bit of a joke/prank. The Herald reported that the Gardaí and the owner of the Punto were laughing at the whole thing.

Also reported was news that from 2010 taxis must be less than 9 years old (2008 for new taxi licences). About time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

But what about the Carinas! Did anyone think how they'd be affected?

colm_mcm wrote:

It'll be traumatic, colm. Mr. Usher will probably have something to say on the matter :D

And then there's all those Mercs with the Nissan diesel engines..................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Mercs with Nissan engines? Pray tell more.

I had a genuine sounding ex-chauffeur drive me home one night in an impecably maintained car. He was complaining about some drivers buying cheap cars in the UK and hiring them out with plates to other drivers. he was talking cars worth sub €2000. Any truth in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ballooba wrote:
    Mercs with Nissan engines? Pray tell more
    A lot of the older MB S500/560s used to have Nissan Patrol 2.8 diesel engines fitted ;).

The Punto taxi pics seem to be on every other motoring thread today so why not here also!

TaxiPunto.jpg

TaxiPunto2.jpg

A lot of the older MB S500/560s used to have Nissan Patrol 2.8 diesel engines fitted ;).

Yep - it was a favourite conversion quite a few years ago and it worked quite well.

Should we read anything into the fact that the Punto taxi is parked outside a whiskey shop? :D

crosstownk wrote:
    Yep - it was a favourite conversion quite a few years ago and it worked quite well.
    There used to be an absolutely immaculate 560SEL taxi near me. I thought it really looked the business until I heard the clatter it made starting on a cold morning with black smoke everywhere! I used to think a Ford Dexta engine was installed by mistake :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Was reported in the HWIST thread already!
    crosstownk wrote:
    And then there's all those Mercs with the Nissan diesel engines..................

They're long gone by now, surely?

Back in the mid 90s when I had to do a lot of travel for work, more often than not did I find myself in one of those on 5AM on a Monday. Rattling like bejaysis, but I felt a lot safer than in a similarly old Japanese tin box!

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:

They're long gone by now, surely?

In fairness I reckon they are all gone...................all that's left is me showing my age :D

crosstownk wrote:
    In fairness I reckon they are all gone...................all that's left is me showing my age :D
    I still a light blue 560 up at the airport now and again but I'm not sure if it's a converted one. I think it's a 1990 (but I won't attempt the model code as I always get them mixed up).

I still a light blue 560 up at the airport now and again but I'm not sure if it's a converted one. I think it's a 1990

Well, his days are numbered now............but at this stage the car isn't costing him a penny - it's served it's purpose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

colm_mcm wrote:

;) they'll find a home!

There is still a 420SE doing the rounds in East Wall, got a lift in it one night not one dash light was on! Also the famous white Merc W123 In Clontarf.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

lol the punto even has an L plate

Back on topic - there used to be a genuine Fiat Punto taxi operating around North Dublin, especially around the Omni SC. Imagine him getting an airport run! :eek:

Years ago, there used to be a Renault 4 taxi operating in Dublin. It had the required 4 doors! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

lots of Punto taxis in Italy.

I was queing for a taxi in an African capital city a few years ago with herself and the baby and buggy etc. and what pulls up but a Fiat Cinquecento! :eek: A Punto would have been heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was queing for a taxi in an African capital city a few years ago with herself and the baby and buggy etc. and what pulls up but a Fiat Cinquecento! :eek: A Punto would have been heaven.

LOL! With a Cinquecento, you win this taxi competition hands down, Wishbone Ash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

you'd know if you were in a modern S, not a sound, diesels sound like tractors when they first start up but once they're warmed up they're fine, still not as smooth as the petrol though.

• Advertisement

nialler wrote:
    you'd know if you were in a modern S, not a sound, diesels sound like tractors when they first start up but once they're warmed up they're fine, still not as smooth as the petrol though.
    We were referring to the petrol MB S-classes that used to have diesel engines (usually Nissan patrol 2.8s) retro fitted, not the normal factory fitted diesel versions! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    LOL! With a Cinquecento, you win this taxi competition hands down, Wishbone Ash :)

I think that award goes to the Tuc Tuc over in Malaysia, etc:

_42661609_tuctuc.jpg

Though probably more practical than a Fiat C*nt-to-get-into (parden my French)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

bazz26 wrote:
    I
    Though probably more practical than a Fiat C*nt-to-get-into (parden my French)

LOL!!!!!:D

I'm keeping that one!

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

This thread make me laugh. The funniest I seen yet on here..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Talking about fiat punto's i passed a fiat punto garda car in youghal, Cork not so long back it was checking for speeding at the side of the road i thought it was a piss take.

Tony255 wrote:
    Talking about fiat punto's i passed a fiat punto garda car in youghal, Cork not so long back it was checking for speeding at the side of the road i thought it was a piss take.
    There's a few Punto patrol cars around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

There's a few Punto patrol cars around Dublin.

There's a Yaris patrol car in Enniskerry (might be changed now, 'twas a while ago that I last saw it) - try chasing someone around the 21 bends in that... :D

Type 17 wrote:
    There's a Yaris patrol car in Enniskerry (might be changed now, 'twas a while ago that I last saw it) - try chasing someone around the 21 bends in that... :D
    The small cars are generally used for "community policing" and not for pursuits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The small cars are generally used for "community policing" and not for pursuits etc.

Of course, but sometimes you see something, and there just isn't time to call for backup - ok, not every Garda car can be a 3-litre V6 or similar, but Yaris/Punto are a step too far in the other direction...1.6 Corolla/Astra should be the minimum sized vehicle for policing work...
    colm_mcm wrote:
    lots of Punto taxis in Italy.

Back on topic, at least the Punto taxis in Italy have real signs :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mazda 121's - the egg-shaped one - were popular as taxi's in Switzerland a few years ago..........most taxi trips are only carrying the driver + 1 passenger, anyhoo..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement