Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ombudsman type yoke?

Options
  • 14-09-2007 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering who you can complain to in DIT about administration etc, because my Summer has been a bit of a nightmare academic wise and nobody in the institution seems to give a toss.

Started with a Summer exam... my results were never put online, I didn't recieve any email. I asked in the modularisation office yoke and they said the exam board hadn't met yet. About two months later exam boards were all well over and I still had no results. I eventually got a response from my course head and apparently my exam had been "overlooked". I was provisionally given a ridiculous mark and told it wasn't confirmed and couldn't be until the lecturer came back from holidays, so that was more of a wait. Then when it was confirmed (not on the website) it said I had failed, but it was months after the re-checks were allowed and I was told it had already been re-checked, but I wasn't brought in on that so I dunno.

So then I had to register late for repeat exams, which wasn't a problem since the post date on the form was well after the deadline.
    I recieved a reciept for the registration for the exams, but I recieved no details about when the exam would take place. I found out from another student when the exam was on, but used to the last minute notification style of DIT I was expecting a letter the day before or something, but none came.

I turned up at the exam with no little sheet and had to explain that I recieved no notification. I had the reciept for the payment as proof that I had actually paid. I (hopefully) remembered my exam number (I assumed it was the same as the Summer) and went about finding my seat. There wasn't one there, so then I had to go ask the supervisors again (who were really nice about the whole thing) and go to the exam. Then when the sign up sheet came around I wasn't on it and I had to explain my situation again.

Now my results should be online, but I've once again recieved no email and the mod website is saying the exam boards haven't met yet. I was only able to access my dit email after 5pm, so I missed ringing the exam office.

Now, I've no idea if I'm meant to be in college on Monday or if I should be out looking for a job or something.

I've recieved no contact from DIT since the reciept in the mail.

My course's results are only published online.

What's the craic like? Do all these admin people just get away with a "ah sure mistakes happen" type attitude while students get screwed?

Having said all that, I know it's not all the people in administration that are messing up, I've experienced really helpful people too.

Opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

None of the results are up on line atm i think in the modelisation site, There only up on the board in my college anyway, if i try check em online I get a error saying exam boards still in progress, which i find ironic as our exam boards sat yesterday :P But this is DIT so i suppose cant expect much comms between admins & students

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭drogbaa

There is an ombudsman, and if you don't get anywehere from talking to them, you should contact him. He's Philip Cohen, there was an articla about him in the Compact. I think he's the head librarian as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

YoYo : My course's results were meant to be out on Friday, they're only available on the website so I would assume they shoud be up. Not all courses/faculties are the same.

Drogbaa : Thanks for that, I'll have a look into it. Glad there is actually someone out there that people have to answer to. Whether I kick up a stink or not might come down to whether or not I'm still in college... don't exactly want to piss off the man incase they forget to post out my degree or something :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Take it to the top. That carry on is not acceptable. I had a similar problem to you but it wasn't as extreme.

Just as an update on this... college has been going on for at least 3 weeks and I've only now recieved my results. I passed, thankfully, but I'm now 3 weeks behind on my course plus they never sent out any of the usual registration forms etc.
    I can see this joke going on for at least another week.

• Advertisement

Well congrats for passing man, I know its a joke what DIT Admin get away with

Good luck

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 metoyou

Im the same... i didnt get an email to tell me my results were online.. i found out on this.. 3 days after they were available.. and still no email..

found out i failed one of 5 and had to gt in touch wit head of computing.. but he was no were to be found for 3 days.. so finally emailed him and he told me to carry it over and start 2nd year asap... and to give it a few days to register... and that was last tuesday..

everyday since then i went in to register and there was still no form for me cept for today.. FINALLY!!..

DIT is actually the worst at everything!

LOL I didnt get the PIN Reminder email either, I just logged into modelisation 1 day and it magically worked :D DIT dont do communication i think

Nick

I literally got one sheet of paper stating my mark, no registration forms or bank stuff, so I imagine that's going to take at least a week etc to sort out if previous form is anything to go by, but at least I now know I'm entitled to be in the course so I'll be attending all my classes regardless... looking forward to explaining it to the lecturers, especially if they're the same as last year.

I didnt get any forms/bank giros either from DIT, i literly rang up registrations, asked for my online pin, went to https://webreg.dit.ie/webreg/web_return.login and registered via credit card there, then handed in printed email confirmation and got registered, think the bank stuffs hassle

Nick

• Advertisement

Cheers man. I knew there was online registration, but again, I've never seen any documentation where it was etc.

Must check that out tomorrow then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Send complaints to president@dit.ie and copy the director for your Faculty on it. You can get the director names on the individal faculty pages on the website. Make sure you include your student number!

Advertisement