Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi in Parnell St.

Options
  • 14-09-2007 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

There is a ramp provided at the supermarket entrance but halfway between the end of the ramp and the entrance to the shop. There are three small metal bollards which you cant squeeze past.The only alternative is to haul the buggy or wheelchair up three steps.As a parent of a child with disabilities this is unacceptable and if i am much mistaken illegal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

JJ wrote:
    halfway between the end of the ramp and the entrance to the shop. There are three small metal bollards which you cant squeeze past.
    Can you just explain this again? Or better still, take a picture and upload it.

It may well be in breach of the Part M building regulations. I wonder if the bollards were added at a late stage? You could try contacting the Building Control officer at Dublin City Council to discuss and/or lodge a formal complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I hope this clears it up:

1387449850_0d29bcd424_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

JJ wrote:
    Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I hope this clears it up:

1387449850_0d29bcd424_m.jpg

As a wheelchair user, and someone with common sense, that looks completely ridiculous!?

The "designer" of that ramp should be brought back to look at it, and given a few slaps for good measure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Would they have put them in to stop people wheeling trollies out of the store?

Very bad design though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Would they have put them in to stop people wheeling trollies out of the store?
    Yes, I'd be a fiver that the bollards were fitted long after the ramp was designed, so the original architect is probably blameless. A word with the shop manager (and give him a copy of the Part M regs) might be enough to encourage them to get it sorted. Mention that you have Joe Duffy on speeddial and 10 friends in wheelchairs ready to come down and check out the ramp just as Joe goes on air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

A stupid ramp in a different way is the one at one of the banks in Terenure where the ramp is perfectly good for getting into and out of the bank with a wheelchair (or baby-buggy, which is my reason for noting it) but blocks wheelchairs (again, or baby-buggies) from going around it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭KilbarrackBlows

Im pritty sure there is some inspector guy you can call about this i dont remember the name of his position but i remember when we got my house renovated for my mother he came around and had to inspect the ramps and everything , anyway you shold ring up lidle and tell them you want one of those bollards removed ! im sure its breaking some type of wheelchair access law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Im pritty sure there is some inspector guy you can call about this i dont remember the name of his position but i remember when we got my house renovated for my mother he came around and had to inspect the ramps and everything , anyway you shold ring up lidle and tell them you want one of those bollards removed ! im sure its breaking some type of wheelchair access law.

This was at the Aldi, not Lidl, on Parnell St. I've been to the Lidl on that street and wheelchair/pram access seems perfectly accessable. Rainy Day mentioned going to the Building Control officer at Dublin City Council. I live near the corpo building so I shouldn't have a problem finding this person.

Advertisement