Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Wooden PC case info/advice thread.

Options
  • 14-09-2007 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

The plan is to build my own wooden case from scratch, and i want it to be as silent as possible (without having to resort to water cooling), as little as resonance as possible and a good airflow
    I'm not planning on building some "special" case, just the same shape as any other case but just a bit bigger probably.
    I'm looking to build a case with a good looking finish, not some cheap plywood look.

Now what i'm asking is any sort of advice u guys can give me about anything i might come across building it.
    I already got some ideas from the internet people who build wooden pc cases but any ideas, suggestions and whatnot u might have are welcome.

I particularly like some advice on soundproofing and minimizing resonance from all the components.

Some ideas:
    - HD's suspended in air using rubber straps or normal strings or whatnot to avoid any resonance.
    - Air intakes on the bottom for plenty of air (so the case is going to be on legs) with/without low noise fans to help it suck it in.
    - "channels" to further improve the airflow in the case, this will require a bit of space i reckon.
    - Use Plexiglas instead of wood what will result in a transparent case (will probably me next project if this wooden 1 proves fun to build )

I'm not planning on building anytime soon (although i have a knack for pushing to get things done when i have some idea in my head), i just want to get organized and get everything i might need before i start building.

I might have 1 or 2 weeks vacation in 3-4 weeks so that might be a good time to start

In the meantime post anything u might think i need to know/consider doing this. :cool:

Here's a quick sketch of the airflow design i'm aiming at, what do u think of the side fans in combination with bottom fans ?
    airflowlo4.th.jpg

Hmm i have the HD's placed vertically in the sketch, does that harm performance in any way ? bad for the disks health ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Sounds like an interesting project, you seem to know where you're going. Suspending disks is always a good idea, it really can make a difference noise wise. I'd say stick with wood, acrylic can be hard to work with and not to mention it's difficult to pull of a clear case and have it look good. Nicely finished wood has a quality feel and look to it, timeless even. I presume by channels you mean some sort of ducting? This could be used to isolate cpu or gpu airflow. I wish you luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ScrooLoose

Here's a quick sketch with a better use of side fans cooling the hd's (which are now in normal horizontal position) and providing air for the CPU cooler.

airflow2ku9.jpg

Thoughts ?

I realize the case is getting quite a bit wider then normal ones but i don't care really, as long as it gets good cooling this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

I'd isolate the cpu completly if possible, maybe have the side intake with a curved duct to the heatsink. What hardware is going inside? Depending on the HD's you might not need active cooling on them at all, just some ventilation.

Well i pretty much finished the design except for the front and side panels :rolleyes: , i think it looks good (as a concept on paper anyway)

ubercasero7.th.jpg

The 80mm fan at the GPU is going to be a bit "above" the GPU from this angle, plenty of room for that anyway since the case is going to be a fair bit wider then normal cases (22cm?) i will prolly hit the 30cm mark
    not really happy about the palcement for the 120mm fan behind the CPU cooler, it's going to be lowered a bit prolly, we will see if thats possible once i actually begin constructing.

The DvD tray will be a tricky 1 to get right i think + button.... i dont want to see the whole thing just the tray and the button.

Not sure how i will mount the HD's in the bottom yet, i was thinking of suspending them somehow but with 3 HD's (2x 500gb and 1x 150gb raptor) thats going to be tricky.
    I do want to minimize resonance from them so something with rubber sounds good, think that will be deceided once i get to it at building.

As for the side panels.... i don't think i'll ad windows in it, i do want to do something with leds there.... prolly my initials or my interweb nickname on both sides.

As for case color.... I'm all ears for idea's .... i'm thinking in a Black and white glossy paint theme of some kind w'll see :cool:

Theres also going to be a switch somewhere to turn the fan leds off.... maybe in the front somewhere, plenty of space anyway.
    Haven t decided on led color yet also, i think blue for the fans and then red for whatever i am going to do with the side panels.

Whaddayathink!? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

looks good, may i ask why your going for amd?

• Advertisement

Because thats the gear i allready have :)
    Allready a year old now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

why are you making it so big? Why not make it as small as possible. Also that thing is going to be far from silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

This is a link to a guy who built a wooden case and theres loads of people on the forum doing similar things so give them a read

Link

It looks great and best of luck:D

Advertisement