Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25 and havent a clue

• 14-09-2007 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Im moving out of the city to Meath but i work smack bang in the city centre.
    I have never drivin a bike and im thinking about buying something to get thru traffic,parking etc.
    My question is what kinda bike and would it need to be a big cc as i will be driving 70miles a day.
    Would i get insurance on a 250?would that be big enough?
    Oh im 6,2 and 80kgs

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I did 60km a day on a 125 and I wouldn't recommend it. If you are new to this however you will be on a restricted licence which won't let you drive most 250's. You will be restricted to a machine of power 25kW (33bhp) OR power to weight ratio 0.16kW/kg.

Alternatively you can get some bikes like a bandit 600 factory restricted. Non factory restricted bikes aren't legal. You would want to take it easy on a 600 as a beginner though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

best to get a few lessons 1st. they will show you if a bikes for you, also they are about 3 hours long so it will be an example of how you will be on a bike for a distance

Never heard of non factory restricted bikes being illegal, as far as i know most bikes can be restricted in a shop and it will cover you, ive never been refused insurance on 1 and whenever ive been stopped by the gardai, nothing was ever said

If I was you (your height weight etc) i would go for something like a transalp, they are fairly cheap, bullet proof and can be restricted and are very comfortable and not to powerful

Your insurance on almost anything will be thru the roof but there is no harm in trying, AON are on 1890777555, there is no harm in trying, they offer an assesment scheme where you get discounts for passing certain grades, you are examined by an instructer/trainer

Join 1 of the biker sites and youll probably get a few good answers (biker.ie, irishbikerforum.ie) and they can point you more in the direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Go for the bike OP.
    I'm just back in Dublin city centre from Navan and there were huge tailbacks. It was great getting to filter past all the cars :D

Since you're 25, insurance will be somwhat affordable, much better than if you were 24.

I wouldn't rule out a 125, a Varadero 125 might do the job but a 250 and above would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mjedl

Sit on as many bikes as you can find and see what you feel comfortable on,its meant to be pleasant experience well to a certain point anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

...If I was you (your height weight etc) i would go for something like a transalp, they are fairly cheap, bullet proof and can be restricted and are very comfortable and not to powerful

Spot on. If you can find one, the Transalp 400 would be a good option. It's got the same engine as the Bros, and is considered bullet proof. Also it has a power output of about 33 Bhp and is considered "learner legal", so no need to get it restricted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement