Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone think the new Hilton hotel is an ugly building?

Options
  • 14-09-2007 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭

I think the new Hilton Hotel at Sarsfield Bridge looks so 1970's. It reminds me of Liberty Hall in Dublin.
    I consider it one of the ugliest new buildings in Limerick City. The colour is a sickly beige or light brown and it's outline is comprised of a lot of irregular angular lines without any overall shape or theme. Lots of bland glass and dull overall appearance. Likewise the apartments being completed overlooking the Shannon behind the hotel.
    By contast, the new Marriot Hotel on Bedford Row is, I think, a very smart attractive, eye-catching building with bold modern looks.

Any other opinions?

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Not really. Nothing spectacular about it, but is much better than the old jurys!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

it doesn't compare to the clarion (or come anywhere close to its architectural prowess) but i wouldn't call it an ugly building. i think that it is very understated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I was disappointed with it when I saw it , thought we had some nice buildings in Limerick for a change and was expecting this to add to them , but it does nothing for the city in general or that side of the river in particular .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I wouldn't call it ugly, nor would I call it amazing, its good...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If you are looking for the proper definition of ugly, they try the pile of bricks they call Mount Kennett. now that is ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Whenever I see Paris walking into the City centre from her new hotel, my mind goes completely off architecture .... ;)

mind you ..... :rolleyes:

I haven't seen her doing the walk yet ...... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

I won't prenend to be an expert on architecture, the outside is not the most stunning sight I have ever seen the rooms inside are great. However what is Tippman comparing this to in Tipp. Town?
    as another poster said its an improvement on old jury's ( IMO ) and better than the pile of rubble that would be there now when Jury's pulled out of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I can't compare it to anything in Tipp Town but compared with the Clarion, the new Marriot or even the Castletroy Park Hotel, the Hilton is, I think, a wasted opportunity to create a stunning landmark building in a central location.

I've tried hard to see some beauty in it's design and shape but it's drab, drab, drab. Look at the lovely reflective glass in that new building up at the roundabout at Shannon Bridge...... now that's an imposing elegant, modern shape that really enhances the city's new emerging skyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

You like the clarion tippman? Most people on this board would disagree with you and say thats its a unfinished dull looking building.

Doctors differ patients die.. maybe its all subjective to personal tastes.. anyway
    I stand by my post and other posts advocating its an improvement on Jury's or the rubble that would be there now ( or the Lidl superquinn dunnes )
    p.s TippMan what is in your own opinion the best bld in Limerick and the best in Tipp. I can only honestly review by inside of pubs and the service level.. some-times the ugly building on the outside gives the best service( ** or is that pubs? I get a little confused sometimes):D

• Advertisement

Well, I agree the Hilton is indeed better than what it replaced but that's not hard for it!

I think possibly my favourite Limerick building (old) is the Courthouse:

http://www.jpms.utvinternet.com/Courthouse.JPG

and one of my favourites (new) is Arthur's Quay

http://www.limerickcorp.ie/media/Media,1299,en.JPG

Tipp Town? I haven't been there in ages and I'm not from there anyway, so I don't know it's architectural features.

sorry I thought the tip mn bit indicated origin. ( sorry 4 the fckn presumption on my part there. ** altered goes unusually red and craves the OP's indulgance)

I am from Tipperary, but not Tipperary Town. Grew up on a farm in North Tipperary, far from any town, actually!

No offence taken!

ahh Cheers 4 that, did'nt mean any offence using d nokia on WLAN in bar,
    promise to go home soon in orderly fashion. whats the worst blding in Limerick?
    I really have no eye 4 architecture of buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I happen to like the Hilton tbh! I really like the glass with the sandy marble.

Arthurs Quay??? are you joking me? ok it's not an eyesore...but it ain't what i'd call eye candy either.
    Mind you the Clarion isn't that impressive either!
    I think Riverpoint is our best with the marriott complex coming a close second!
    Well done Fordmount!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's okay.

I like the incorporation of the blue light theme.
    Especially the way it reflects off the Shannon from certain angles.

The building could have been a hell of a lot worse, and while it's nothing spectacular, it doesn't detract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The fact of the matter is that the Hilton is very cheap and cheerful looking. It would be fine as a cheap motorway stop-over hotel - but the Limerick Planning Office must have either been bribed or else just thrown all their standards out the window in order to let such a cynically cheap design preside over such an important focal point and prominent location in Limerick City. Its a well known fact that the Planning Office is staffed by morons though.

- In stark contrast, the Mariott is absolutely fantastic looking; someody should drop by the the planning Office and explain if they have a week or two to spare :rolleyes:

*P.S. To answer Altered121 Brown Thomas is by far the ugliest eye-sore in Europe - not to mind Limerick !!!

I think Riverpoint is our best with the marriott complex coming a close second!
    Well done Fordmount!!!

Poxyshamrock,

I'm with you on that....... the above mentioned are indeed the best two new buildings IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

I agree that the Limerick Hilton only looks OK from the outside. It's bizarre-it looks like granite and glass-that finish must have cost a fortune. I would have chosen something more striking if I was doing the choosing! BUT the one thing that the Hilton has that I found to be UNBELIEVABLE was the view from the roof.

I was there for a work do a few weeks ago. It was in the evening and we were in the 6th floor function room which has all glass walls and a balcony all around it. We had a lovely clear night and so we got to see the sunset over the west of the city, and then all the stars were out and we could see all the lights of the taller buildings of the city, and King John's castle and Johns Church/Cathedral all lit up. There's also lighting down at the riverbank-fairylights and water and bridge lights. To my knowledge the Hilton has the only spot where you can be up that high on that side of the river and get the beautiful urban view.

As you can see I was VERY impressed. So, the Hilton is not much to look at, but absolutely gorgeous to look out of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I agree that the Limerick Hilton only looks OK from the outside. It's bizarre-it looks like granite and glass-that finish must have cost a fortune. I would have chosen something more striking if I was doing the choosing! BUT the one thing that the Hilton has that I found to be UNBELIEVABLE was the view from the roof.

I was there for a work do a few weeks ago. It was in the evening and we were in the 6th floor function room which has all glass walls and a balcony all around it. We had a lovely clear night and so we got to see the sunset over the west of the city, and then all the stars were out and we could see all the lights of the taller buildings of the city, and King John's castle and Johns Church/Cathedral all lit up. There's also lighting down at the riverbank-fairylights and water and bridge lights. To my knowledge the Hilton has the only spot where you can be up that high on that side of the river and get the beautiful urban view.

As you can see I was VERY impressed. So, the Hilton is not much to look at, but absolutely gorgeous to look out of!

and not a camera phone in sight .... :p

I was driving along the riverside about 500 years ago .... spotted a Munster Rugby shirt hanging out to dry .... what did I do .... stopped .... took a photo with my 501 year old phone ..... and posted it here of course .... :D

I guess we are going to have to rely on our Billy once again to get a $$$$$$$$ photo of the Hilton view at night ..... :p

mcrrc9.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement