Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo 3 ad - yay or nay?

• 15-09-2007 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

So what do we think, super cool or pretentious crap?

Halo 3 ad - yay or nay? 16 votes

This is how all game ads should be made
    0% 0 votes
    Bloated piece of crap
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Load of hype - but at the same time, I'm a sucker for all that. And just thinking about it - who is this ad aimed at? Most people who see and understand this ad will likely be planning on buying halo 3 anyway.

It's "hyping" the game for the fans rather than marketing it to a larger demographic - without any game footage it's unlikely to attract that many new fans to halo.

Wish it had been a bit longer though - not sure about the accent of the spartan old man - sounded eastern european/german and felt like the whole thing was parodying WWII verterans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I liked the ad, but I can't pick one of the poll options. I don't think all game ads should be done like that, but I don't think it was a pretentious piece of crap either. I think that in the instance of a release like Halo 3 which, regardless of what you think of the franchise as a worthy FPS, is going to be one of the biggest entertainment events of 2007, the series of live action ads they've got going on are really good for building up to the release date.

I preferred the "Starry Night" ad that was out before this one though, with the two kids lying in the grass. That ad rocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanish Guitar

Heres a link to the ad for anybody who hasn't seen it.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/halo-3/halo-3-videos/530253

If you let the second video run, you'll get a 'mock making of' documentary.

I personally prefer the second video.

I do like the ad tho. Beats the old 'representative of game' CGI nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's ****e, and that's not just me saying that cause i dislike the halo series but a lot of video games ad's are terrible these days.

they use techniques like this, or *not actual game footage* i'm a potential customer i want to see what i actually am playing, not some ****e like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Psh, I'm not really looking forward to this that much. I reckon it won't top bioshock. Yes it will be fun and great to play but i have a feeling the single player won't exactly be groundbreaking.

As for the ad, well I think the 'Believe' thing is a little pretentious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bioshock and halo3 are way two different games.

halo is basically if it moves shoot it, bioshock you do a lot more, plasmids/hacking/different types of ammo etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I like it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I voted for bloated pile of crap. Is that what they'll be showing on the TV? I'm looking forward for the game but if I wasn't a previous Halo fan that wouldn't convert me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

thought it wasn't great. didn't do much for the game at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Wtf?

I really liked the one with the capsized warthog.

That's just retarded though.

edit: Just watched the mockumentary on the creation of the 'art piece' in the trailer.

MMmmmm.... I'm not so negative now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

I wanted to vote for "the way trailers should be done" but that pretty much sums up the "Call Of Duty 4 -Perks" trailer. That one rocked. All gameplay too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I like it, it goes well with some of the other Halo stuff, great for Halo fans, and maybe a little puzzling for everyone else, but if they are wondering what the hell the ad is about, they are more likley to go looking to see what it is for, which I assume is more effective then someone seeing a Halo ad and thinking to themselves ''pfh halo crap''

EDIT: I posted a link to some other vids in the Halo section LINKY The bottom one is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I have BioShock 3 weeks now, didn't put it in the machine yet. So I'm grand for the while, when I have time to start playing it I've something to keep me ocupied and its a long game I hear. I won't be needing Halo until Christmas, as I have that to keep me under the roof, I've lots of stuff to do in October and Christmas time is right after that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What absolute rot. By far the worst ad I've seen since that Gears of War advert.

What's wrong with actually showing the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I actually like it, which is surprising given my dislike for all things Halo:p

/edit
    good old consolevania are on the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Nailz wrote:
    I have BioShock 3 weeks now, didn't put it in the machine yet. So I'm grand for the while, when I have time to start playing it I've something to keep me ocupied and its a long game I hear. I won't be needing Halo until Christmas, as I have that to keep me under the roof, I've lots of stuff to do in October and Christmas time is right after that.

You've had Bioshock for 3 weeks and havn't played it?!?!

You must have nerves of steel. I salute you!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nutmeg

I think it's a pretty clever viral advert. I don't think this one will be airing on TV either as I believe it's the first part of a five part viral marketing project for the Marketplace and the Internet, mainly aimed at Halo fans just to build more hype.

The TV adverts will be more game focused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I loved the 2nd vid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Most people I speak to disagree with this when i say that I thought the ads were ****e thought the starry night one was much better and why no gameplay footage???:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement