Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

query about house side gates

Options
  • 15-09-2007 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

we have a detached house and need to get gates either side of it, we dont mind wrought iron or wood, whichever is easier to keep and cheapest longterm. one side of the house is aproximate 5 feet and the other side is 3-4 foot.
    we have been quoted 990 for wrought iron which I must admit I thought was a bit excessive, Anyone any idea how much these should cost before I agree ot not? is that a fair price?

would appreciate any advice thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

i wouldnt pay that for side gates in my own home. they must be huge or very thick. i think that is too excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Also seems very expensive to me. If you want to try for a quote for wooden gates try abwood (www.abwood.ie) as they are very reasonable. We bought 2x8ft gates, 2 smaller side panels, 1 lge 7ft panel and pedestrian gate from them for less that the price you've been quoted! I've no affiliation to the company I am just a satisfied customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

minxmad wrote:
    we have a detached house and need to get gates either side of it, we dont mind wrought iron or wood, whichever is easier to keep and cheapest longterm. one side of the house is aproximate 5 feet and the other side is 3-4 foot.
    we have been quoted 990 for wrought iron which I must admit I thought was a bit excessive, Anyone any idea how much these should cost before I agree ot not? is that a fair price?

would appreciate any advice thanks

Its not clear if that is supply only or supply and fit: also the cost will be a function of the detail in the design and also the height, so cant comment on price.

If going WI, make sure it is hot dip galvanised, well worth the extra money: u will have to wait a while before u can paint them for the Galvo to weather a bit.
    Beware if if they come painted and they tell you they have been galvod
    Depending on the value/aspect of you house I dont thing a softwood door is the answer, I would go hardwood with a sadolin [spelling] finish NOT Varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

ircoha wrote:
    If going WI, make sure it is hot dip galvanised, well worth the extra money: u will have to wait a while before u can paint them for the Galvo to weather a bit.
    Beware if if they come painted and they tell you they have been galvod

Galvanise is usually etched before painting.

My tip would be to galvanise and then powder coat the gates. I've done that before and it looks the business. Plus the powder coating lasts for years

Advertisement