Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going wireless - suggestions please

Options
  • 15-09-2007 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Smart Telecom are my current BB provider, I'm looking to go wireless, can someone recommend a compatible wireless router which could replace my current Aolynk DR814Q (arsed if I'm paying €140 to Smart for their standard issue !!)

All suggs welcome

Mr Woods

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cheapest is €25 , see.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055013272

last 3 or 4 pages only .

and then ask how to configure it in the smart support forums , no big deal just a few settings on one page, you configure the router by accessing the web page http:\\192.168.1.254\ when its plugged into your pc with a network cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

Thanks Sponge bob, knowing my luck the Eircom thing won't work out :), so if it doesn't...what are the alternatives ? :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I never did manage to get the Eircom/Netopia router to work with Smart. Though that one is a different model.

I often hear good reports on the Netgear SG834G, though that didn't work out for me either. Crap quality phoneline caused the router to constantly disconnect, so now I've just bridged the Aolynk to a cheapo Sweex router.

That said, I seem to be one of few who have issues with Netgear, and my line is rather crap. Argos sometimes do an offer of this router with a free USB wifi dongle.

Thanks byte, keep 'em coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭mrflash

I have netgear, and its the best router i have ever had.

• Advertisement

@ Byte assuming worst case senario, I don't get the €25 deal in PC world, is that Netgear DG834G compatibile with Smart i.e were your problems solely related to a s**t phone line or may it have been something other issue ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you can put the aolynx in bridging mode so the aolynx does the phyical connect ( AS IT DOES NOW) but the one behind it does the pppoe or pppoa login

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you can put the aolynx in bridging mode so the aolynx does the phyical connect ( AS IT DOES NOW) but the one behind it does the pppoe or pppoa login
    #

Yes, that's what I do now.

@ Mr Woods: As I said, the issues were just my diabolical line. The router is ADSL2+ so will work with Smart. Somebody else now has the router I had, and don't have any issues with it (Eircom DSL).

Thanks for the replies :)

Advertisement