Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

designing the ultimate flier

• 15-09-2007 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

I am getting ready to launch a pretty substantial venture which will have its main appeal to a Dublin suburb. I think that door-to-door leaflets are the way to go to get the message out to the people in this area.

Any thoughts on how to make the flier work well?

For example, if I make it A4, are people more likely to see it and maybe read it?

What level of response should I realistically expect? What proportion of these things is even read?

Also, what about distributing fridge magnets? Do these work well?

Is there any company with particular experience of doing this type of marketing? I will be doing quite a bit of this in the next year (maybe 5 or 10 drops) so I could probably do with help.

Best,

Antoin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

For example, if I make it A4, are people more likely to see it and maybe read it?

What level of response should I realistically expect? What proportion of these things is even read?

Has to be visually attractive and get the message across in the title / main message ...

Most flyers people will scrap ... my experience ... no I don't have any stats its just what I've seen people do ...

A gimic like a money off voucher .. people might hang onto ... 10% or something ... thought depending on the product I find it can be more appealing to hear 5 € off ... which might well be 10% but ... it makes me go .. cool 5 € off ...

Fridge magnets I personally find quite cool ... we've only ever gotten one through the letterbox ... it was a calendar ... with some firms name on it ... out with ye olde stanley .. snip snip .. and I've now got a non branded fridgemagnet calendar ... though if it was something I'd be interested in .. I'd probably throw the fridge magnet onto the fridge ...

I've only ever designed the one flyer .. and was quite proud of that ... about 10000 copies made for distribution in the UK ... and it was a double sided A4 ... I've no idea if it was a success or not

Personally I find A4 .. too big ... and unless I'm truely interested in it I'll scrap it ... whereas a nice small flyer with a catching graphic / title ... will grab my attention ... I'll probably end up scrapping it .. but .. it caught my attention and I might remember the name ...

A quick google threw up ... http://www.partyflyer.com/start.htm which seems to have a LOT of examples ... might be good for some ideas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I am getting ready to launch a pretty substantial venture which will have its main appeal to a Dublin suburb. I think that door-to-door leaflets are the way to go to get the message out to the people in this area.

Is there any company with particular experience of doing this type of marketing? I will be doing quite a bit of this in the next year (maybe 5 or 10 drops) so I could probably do with help.

Best,

Antoin.

The conversion rate is generally accepted to be around the 3 % level but a lot depends on the suitability of the product for this type of marketing, eg capital goods would be unsuitable or also gimmicky discounted schemes for major services etc.

Although this form of marketing is now firmly associated with junk mail, and given the pervasive nature and advantages of online marketing and websites must substantially undermine the potential benefits that might accrue.

Most examples I see are in connection with junk food, crappy beauty care products/services and low entry services that are full of cowboys.

IMHO, potential to do more brand damage than generate sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

So how would you reach a specific geographical area? (5 or so electoral divisions, about 15000 houses)

Do you really think I'd get 3 percent? 3 percent would be a marvellous conversion rate. I would get 30 customers for spending only 70 euros on fliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭Tav

I think fridge magnet is very cool idea. This would be very original and could grab my attention!
    And again it's very practical ;)

Tav wrote:
    I think fridge magnet is very cool idea. This would be very original and could grab my attention!
    And again it's very practical ;)

Yeah ... if Dominos or another delivery crowd had a fridge magnet I'd probably throw it on the fridge ... your number is there ... your loog or something is there and every time I go to the fridge I see .. Dominos ... so when I'm wondering what I can eat .... and I see that and the number handy I can just call ...

I've only ordered 3 or 4 times from Dominos ... but I'd say a fridge magnet could have increased the number of times :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Skull_Collector

There is lots of sites that do fridge magents. There a great little marketing tool in my opinion. You can pick them up fairly cheap nowadays with good quality. I'll pm you a few companies if you interested.

Discounts on flyers always work too.

Best of luck!

There is lots of sites that do fridge magents. There a great little marketing tool in my opinion. You can pick them up fairly cheap nowadays with good quality. I'll pm you a few companies if you interested.

Best of luck!

I'd be interested in knowing a few of the companies as I may be doing something similar shortly .. sub 100 units ... just as a gimick for a few customers I have so they can keep me in their minds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Best of luck!

i vaguely recollect a recent radio report concerning some newly discovered health issues concerning (and I kid you not!) the use of fridge magnets.

I cannot remember the details but it might be worth enquiring about.

i vaguely recollect a recent radio report concerning some newly discovered health issues concerning (and I kid you not!) the use of fridge magnets.

I cannot remember the details but it might be worth enquiring about.

Bloody hell ... I read your message thinking you're a bit .. er .. touched :D ... and then I did a quick check online ... I'd never thought about pacemakers

Link to BBC news article here ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6160731.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 attica2k

My magnets are coming down (lol)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Skull_Collector

Very strong magnets made from neodymium-iron-boron, which are shiny and silver in colour, have only recently become available.

But because of their high magnetic field strength and low production costs, they are being used in computer hard drives, headphones and hi-fi speakers, as well as toys, jewellery and even clothes.

Seems its not only fridge magnets..
    Wouldnt worry me too much. People can find something wrong with everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

How about fancy looking pens with your details on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Wheres the best place to get cheap fridge magnets, not from ireland but abroad as ireland is overpriced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 --Wacker--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭rusnakova

Hello,

IMHO, the most important thing, even more important than the medium you choose is the Message. You need to create a powerful message that will grasp their attention and they will say "Yes, I really, really want this!"

Now I don't know what you are selling, however, try to think of the needs, wants and pains your potential customers might have at the moment in relation to your product. Secondly, think how your product answers to these needs, wants and pains and then put these benefits into clear messages.

People will love it! Just don't start like: "We are a new company in your neighbourhood... We started 2 weeks ago and we are the best and we are offering you.." - speak about what really matters to them!

Finally, targeting is great and you are probably doing a right thing, not to go futher than just your area - the same thing did Brodi Sweeney when he started his O'Briens Sandwiches...

Simona Rusnakova

Advertisement