Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 mobile broadband problem

Options
  • 15-09-2007 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Just got this the last day, seems to be working fine but having a DNS problem, cant connect to google or gmail which is very annoying. anything I can do on my end to fix that?

also, is there a thread comapring the merits of the different Operators mobile broadband products?

Thanks

V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Just been helping out a friend with O2 problems like yours. It would seem that they are having serious issues with Google and any website with Google related content (syndication, adverts etc.).

We tried several browsers (IE7, Firefox and Opera) on Windows Vista Ultimate and I'd say it was 50/50 as to websites opening correctly. Terrible delays, parts of the pages missing or no response at all.

So we connected to a local WiFi hotspot and got through to all the pages no problems.

He phoned O2 and they confirmed that they had numerous calls and are looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

Can not connect to certain gmail sites or sites using google ad's been slowed to down to a crawl.

I switch to OpenDNS but the problem remains. If you look down the threads BT where also affect by this. So it's a rooting issue that will probably effect other serves as and when they update.

I change my host file to block the most effected gmail adserves to allow me to access boards and other sites.

You can route them as below to a know working DNS for google or block them by using 127.0.0.1 this still won't let you sign in to web-based Gmail. but it will speed up other sites. Drop the # (I put this back in to see if the problem had been resolved yet) You should still be able to get to e-mail if you have enabled pop access to gmail previously.

#208.69.34.230 www.google-analytics.com
    #208.69.34.230 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
    #208.69.34.230 partner.googleadservices.com
    #208.69.34.230 news.google.com
    #208.69.34.230 www.google.com
    #208.69.34.230 www.google.ie
    #208.69.34.230 mail.google.com
    #208.69.34.230 blogsearch.google.com
    #208.69.34.230 www.gmail.com

If you change your host file don't forget to comment out these lines are delete them when the problem get's resolved.

Regards,
    John

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hmmmm.
    all the bad talk about 3G(1,800+ relpies!!) and I've never had problems with any of this sites.
    And it's half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Sorry for not getting back sooner - thanks for that fix John - it works great.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 johnd

The O2 Broadband issue mentioned above is still continuing ... I signed up Friday last and this has been going on since .. its very annoying.

John - thanks so much for posting the above fix. I am on Windows Vista and using Firefox, I believe I updated the HOSTS correctly but still the issue is happening. Probably some silly Vista setting, any advice gratefully received ... or even better have O2 fix the darn problem !!

BTW ... So far for me ... Microsoft Vista is a giant leap backwards !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

can someone explain in greater detail how to implement the fix above?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

valor wrote:
    can someone explain in greater detail how to implement the fix above?

For me too-its very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

Did a quick yahoo search for host file blocking sites vista.

Top link brought up this site hope that helps.
    Will post more details on how to do this sort of fix.
    Please note this still won't let you log in to gmail or google reader.

It's just to prevent Google's adverts from slowing down your connection to your favorite sites.

More tools and info from List of list
    My favorite host editor used to be Hostess (but that was on older windows 98 machine),
    Mostly now use Kubuntu (Linux) and you can edit your hosts from :

"system settings - network settings - under domain name system - admin mode"

Regards,

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 johnd

corkie wrote:
    Did a quick yahoo search for host file blocking sites vista.

Top link brought up this site hope that helps.
    Will post more details on how to do this sort of fix.
    Please note this still won't let you log in to gmail or google reader.

It's just to prevent Google's adverts from slowing down your connection to your favorite sites.

More tools and info from List of list
    My favorite host editor used to be Hostess (but that was on older windows 98 machine),
    Mostly now use Kubuntu (Linux) and you can edit your hosts from :

"system settings - network settings - under domain name system - admin mode"

Regards,

John

John I am in your debt, thank you . I used Hostess to find and update my hosts files and it finally worked ! At least most websites seem to be working again.

These proxy or whatever issues that O2 are having are terrible and have been going on since I signed up on Saturday last !

My email is suffering terribly with this constant timeouts on the O2 network, if I need to download more than 3 or 4 emails the connection constantly re-starts and my client keeps retrying. I even had to switch back to my dialup to get my email ! Aghhhhhhh

I also see 2 or three other posts related to this issue on the boards in the last few days.

C'mon O2 get this sorted !

Advertisement