Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beside Revolution??

• 15-09-2007 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Does anyone know what's going into the now demolished site beside Revolution, where Wiley's used to be.

Rumours i've heard is that Flash from Rev's is gonna buy it and maybe have Revolution stretched across the bottom floor, while the first floor would be a night club. Would be great tho if we had another nightclub in competition against Ruby's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I remember hearing a while ago that Revolution is knocking through the wall upstairs and extending the upstairs bar, but plans have prob changed since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I heard that its going to be a retail unit on the ground floor with apartments above, but you know what this town's like when it comes to rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What used to be on the ground floor between Revolution and Wyleys? I've completely forgotten what was there before the building became unsafe during the development of Revolution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For some reason, I thought it was that new take away that opened beside it was extending? Not to sure wat gave me that idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Eddie Rocketts used to be there for awhile wasn't it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sarahsez

trishw78 wrote:
    Eddie Rocketts used to be there for awhile wasn't it
    i thought eddie rocketts was where revolution is nw??? or im prob jus mind bogled as there was so much dwn there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Eddie Rocketts was in the same building as Revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

eddie rockets was half revolution with jolly barber then flash got both and jolly moved up a door lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

was talking to flash last night -
    said he is trying to lease 1/2 of first floor of new building to have a self contained comedy club on fri and sat ngihts
    and SPAR will be on ground floor - 24hours job!
    we really need another night club in town -
    pissed of with attitude of Rubys door staff

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

yeh 2 right the door men in rubys can be D**kheads at the best of times,would be nice 2 see a new night club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

Guys, even if Flash was to open a nightclub it wouldnt really make any difference as i believe Tweedy is involved with Flash anyway.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paudy

guys if you want a nightclub start a petition and give it to flash, or just stop goin to rubys, revolution opens till 2am fri and saturday, but all the sheep still go to rubys and pay the admission and then complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

paudy wrote: »
    guys if you want a nightclub start a petition and give it to flash, or just stop goin to rubys, revolution opens till 2am fri and saturday, but all the sheep still go to rubys and pay the admission and then complain about it.
    ye and they don,t bloody sell red bull in any of tweedys bars only this cheap ****e called burn and boy feck does it burn the stomach out of ya

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paudy

could there be a new nightclub on thw way??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

No. Flash is after buying somewhere out in Tramore (a nightclub?) apparently, so I wouldn't expect him to do anything major in the city. I also heard the rumour of a 24 hour Spar/Centra so here's hoping. Also I wouldn't worry too much about that Burn stuff ;)

heard flash is taking 1st floor of new building beside revolution and hes turning all of up stairs into a nightclub - wont be too big but select and classy - staff there says it will open in sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

an extra nightclub in waterford would be great....24hour spar, great idea, wedges after the disco, yes boi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

heard flash is taking 1st floor of new building beside revolution and hes turning all of up stairs into a nightclub - wont be too big but select and classy - staff there says it will open in sept

I hope in the name of Jesus it will be a 25 years & up club. Us people of this vintage are not catered for in Waterford atoll. Not all of us are working in big factories were you can meet women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

Itr doesn't matter what new things come to waterford.......deise people will still complain. Nothing is good enough for ya. You complain about bob tweedy yet they provide 2 night clubs and 3 quality bars in the town and are also trying to renovate them to make them better for the town. A new club comes to waterford and you go to it for a few weeks and then don't bother anymore so it has to close...and then you come online to give out about the clubs.

I go to masons and muldoons the odd time but to be honest I'm gone passed the age of queueing up to go to a club so I'll go to revolution's late bar, or Mason's late bar where at least they play some decent old 90s tunes when all the teeny boppers have crossed the road. To be honest...I miss the old stand and Flare and Flo motion and all of those. You have to feel for the kazbars, fletchers, masons etc..they often try new things to bring the people in but it aint easy.

As for calling club goers sheep....they're no more sheep as those cliques that go into geoffs all the time and think they're some sort of arty cool people when anytime I go in there all I get is a stink of pretention.

And If anyone for a second think's that I'm biased towards Revolution or kazbar or tweedy etc....well I aint.......I miss Axis Mundi in its hey day...I'm not a forum type of punter but I respect what they do up there/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

I hope in the name of Jesus it will be a 25 years & up club. Us people of this vintage are not catered for in Waterford atoll. Not all of us are working in big factories were you can meet women.

but any place that goes for an older type crowd always fails, because people in a slightly older age bracket dont go out often enough. Look at the Jazbar (? name? was where Rubys is now), Axis Mundi when it opened, and more recently look at Harveys, refused students and student types when opened but now caters for them mid week.

Places start with great expectations and then realise this is waterford.

• Advertisement

MrLuke wrote: »
    but any place that goes for an older type crowd always fails, because people in a slightly older age bracket dont go out often enough. Look at the Jazbar (? name? was where Rubys is now), Axis Mundi when it opened, and more recently look at Harveys, refused students and student types when opened but now caters for them mid week.

Exactly.

id say fair dues to masons, revolution and kazbar for opening late -
    and at great cost - 280 a night for late license - solicitors fees and court fees on top of it - extra for door staff and bar staff - AND NO COVER CHARGE !!
    i miss axis and bowery - loved the place - nice friendly places - with quiet area if u didnt want to be in the thick of things - us older guy need somewhere else like that!!! if flash is opening a club - lets ask him for an over 25's policy or area
    who agrees?

MrLuke wrote: »

It only has to be over 25’s on Saturday’s, that would be enough.

.......... if flash is opening a club - lets ask him for an over 25's policy or area
    who agrees?

You can count me in.

Aye...you'll all agree...and then never drink in the place. All talk an action, that's your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

It only has to be over 25’s on Saturday’s, that would be enough.

So what about the under 25's that frequent it the other nights? They won't be allowed to go in on a Saturday night? Why should they be barred for being a certain age group on the busiest night of the week?

AFAIK younger drinkers drink more drinks, more often and more expensive ones at that. If I was in that business I know what market I'd be after.

These people who want under 25 bars etc are the people that 48 weeks of the year sit in and watch casualty, have a chinese and watch their DVDs. They then go out and realise how old and fat they're getting compared to others. Don't let the young attractive people in!!!!!!

The bar that goes over 25s in Waterford is the bar that closes in 3 month's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Have to agree with you there,most people in their thirtys drink in the suburbs and only come into town now and again.

Any pub that tried to cater for the "older crowd" in the city centre would die a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

theres good and bad points to having a young crowd

1: they drink and spend a lot more
    2:they are a lot more messy,more chances of them fighting

but the the profit far out weights the cost,speaking from exsperiance so most pubs aim for the young crowd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

theres good and bad points to having a young crowd

1: they drink and spend a lot more
    2:they are a lot more messy,more chances of them fighting

but the the profit far out weights the cost,speaking from exsperiance so most pubs aim for the young crowd

There is no problem with most pubs and clubs aimed at the younger crowd, i.e. under 25. But there is a market for pubs and clubs aimed at over 25's, no question.

There is huge amount of over-25's that hit the town every weekend. The difference is they are more choosey, less likely to notice when a new club or pub opens, harder to please, and so on. You have to actually make an effort to tempt them, as opposed to just open the doors and expect people to come in and get hammered.

Restaurants make the effort and the restaurant trade is doing very well because of it. Are over-25's going to leave a classy restaurant in town to go into a loud and packed Muldoons or Ruby's Lounge or wherever. Maybe, maybe not. Harvey's is a den of drunken students at the weekend that is completely packed out and pretty unpleasant to move around in.

If an effort was made to open a classier place, people would go. But if a pub or club owner goes down that road, they should realise that as soon as they make the place nasty in any way to top it up with students and kids, your crowd are gone straight away.

Other cities and towns manage to make money out of the old and young, there is no reason why things should be any different in Waterford if there was any kind of imagination or more players in the nightclub market.

Advertisement