Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beside Revolution??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

Ok...so let's say someone decides to open a "classy" over 25 establishment.

At the moment people complain when -

They're not allowed in with age cards.

They're not allowed in wearing a hoodie.

They're turned away for being drunk.

Turned away for being a traveller.

Prices are too high

Music is too crap.

Before I go on I'd be starting to think twice about opening any kind of club, nevermind an over 25s club. An over 25s club would only do business on a friday and saturday....and not a whole lot on the friday to be honest. Waterford is not big enough to sustain an over 25s bar, simple as that. The people that are on here complaining about prices etc are the people that don't go out too often...they want the bar....but they'll only go in once or twice a month. Not a big incentive to open now is it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

tubey wrote: »
    Ok...so let's say someone decides to open a "classy" over 25 establishment.

At the moment people complain when -

They're not allowed in with age cards.

They're not allowed in wearing a hoodie.

They're turned away for being drunk.

Turned away for being a traveller.

Prices are too high

Music is too crap.

Before I go on I'd be starting to think twice about opening any kind of club, nevermind an over 25s club. An over 25s club would only do business on a friday and saturday....and not a whole lot on the friday to be honest. Waterford is not big enough to sustain an over 25s bar, simple as that. The people that are on here complaining about prices etc are the people that don't go out too often...they want the bar....but they'll only go in once or twice a month. Not a big incentive to open now is it..

Waterford is easily big enough to support an over 25s bar, or at least a predominantly over 25's bar. Ruby's Lounge and Woodman are often mainly over 25 as it is. Harvey's is on some nights. Electric Avenue can have a big over 25's element. Probably the Kazbar as well. The crowd is there as it is, it's just spread out among a number of places, and yeah, lots of people stay at home because they view the town as a place where kids and students get drunk and start fights (as they probably did themselves a few years earlier).

If there is a problem here, it's that the city centre has a certain reputation, and the older crowd have a certain view of it, and we have too few players in the late night pub and nightclub market. So things change slowly.

There's also this miserable attitude among Waterford people that nothing is possible and that attitude becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Other towns and cities in Ireland can manage it, so can Waterford. Bars do not have to be huge at any rate. The city centre could do with more smaller places to give people some choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

I saw a sign up for Battle Of The Business somewhere recently. I think it was for MAsons. I have no idea when it's starting but I bet ya it won't work. It's a great idea and I did it in Wexford a few times (on a monday night) but this town just doesn't like new ventures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

merlante wrote: »
    Bars do not have to be huge at any rate. The city centre could do with more smaller places to give people some choice.

I definitely agree in principle, and I'd love to see it but look at Fletcher's. A pretty nice bar, not too big, with a good selection of drinks at reasonable prices and it does almost no business. It's a terrible pity because they really put in a good effort especially with the bands. Depressing as it is, maybe tubey's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Adyx wrote: »
    I definitely agree in principle, and I'd love to see it but look at Fletcher's. A pretty nice bar, not too big, with a good selection of drinks at reasonable prices and it does almost no business. It's a terrible pity because they really put in a good effort especially with the bands. Depressing as it is, maybe tubey's right.

I'll tell you something about Fletchers. It is a good idea, but good intentions don't a good pub make. It actually has to be a good pub. It has a funny shape to the place and the seating is not comfortable. I can't really see the place doing well, not because people don't appreciate a good idea, but because I don't think it's very well designed.

As a counter example, Ruby's Lounge is well designed. Geoffs is very well 'designed' (if you could call it that). Compare Geoffs to Fletchers and tell me why people would want to switch, except to catch the bands.

A lot of people say the Bowery was a great and now it's gone, and typical Waterford, great ideas never work, etc., etc., etc.

But the fact is, the Bowery wasn't well designed either. There was no comfort for the older crowd and it was too far from Tweedy town to attract the younger crowd. Ruby's on the other hand is a much better setup.

The other thing you have to combat is this mentality that the city centre is just for students and young people getting plastered and puking on the street and fighting after the clubs. It's this perception that will keep people drinking out of town. The right strategy, if a strategy was possible in Waterford, might be to cluster restaurants, classy bars and a comfortable club together in a different part of the city centre than Tweedy town. That might do it. It wouldn't take much really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Agh! I hated The Bowery :mad:Im sorry but merlante is right. It was terribly designed. Personally I would rather go to Fletcher's than Geoff's. As someone said earlier there is a slight air of pretentiousness there. That's just me though and I really like live music. To be honest there isn't any pub in Waterford that really does it for me :(

Ruby Lounge is ok but the toilet situation is ridiculous. Unavoidable maybe but ridiculous.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any more developments elsewhere in the city, not with McCann and the Gardai on the case.
    If only Merlins hadn't turned into Oxygen. Ah well, we'll see how Muldoons/Oxygen are after the refurbishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paudy

geoffs got pretentuos all of a sudden, it used to be very laid back but now is pretty awful. as for the bowery it was a great venue just people couldnt be arsed walking 5 mins down the road and then have to walk back to get chips and taxi. People are saying we need an over 25 pub/club in waterford but it is already there. The young folk all leave revolution like sheep at 12/12.30 to go and pay into rubys(idiots)leaving a nice select crowd and a good atmosphere and the djs will play music to suit the crowd. I've had many a great night there when no one bumped into me i didnt have to queue for the toilet no one robbed my drink the doorstaff talk to you rather than down to you and nobody gets sick on or around you and no admission fee. what more can you ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Someone said that over 25's have nowhere to go...but then named out the places where they go :confused: 4 or 5 places were named could over 25's not be happy with those places....why do ye feel the need to have a separate place just for ye?.....night clubs are generally accepted to be a young persons thing anyway and they get boring very quickly....I'm 20 and fed up of them...I prefer late bars lately like the kazbar and EA......so why should ye have your own pub/club? enlighten me please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

paudy wrote: »
    geoffs got pretentuos all of a sudden, it used to be very laid back but now is pretty awful. as for the bowery it was a great venue just people couldnt be arsed walking 5 mins down the road and then have to walk back to get chips and taxi. People are saying we need an over 25 pub/club in waterford but it is already there. The young folk all leave revolution like sheep at 12/12.30 to go and pay into rubys(idiots)leaving a nice select crowd and a good atmosphere and the djs will play music to suit the crowd. I've had many a great night there when no one bumped into me i didnt have to queue for the toilet no one robbed my drink the doorstaff talk to you rather than down to you and nobody gets sick on or around you and no admission fee. what more can you ask for.

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sonky353

Its true everyone will complain about all Tweedys Nightclubs but still pay to get in and pay extremely high prices for drink that wont change. I go 2 college in Cork and the price of drinks is unbelievably cheaper compared 2 Waterford....I had a few friends from Cork down who also were SHOCKED at the price of drink in not only clubs but pubs!!!

We definitely need another club for competition for Tweedy!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 paudy

somthing fishy goin on beside revo, ive heard flash is opening a club upstairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Isn't it amazing that no-one actually knows what's definetly going in there yet. Just rumours and suggestions...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

iseegirls wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing that no-one actually knows what's definetly going in there yet. Just rumours and suggestions...

these are the 2 planning applications for the site

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=06267
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=0898

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is a big sign on the scafolding saying that its Centra..

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

saw that meself, also the indian take away beside it has an application on it, i forget what it was now though:rolleyes:

Advertisement