Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB alternatives

Options
  • 15-09-2007 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Currently i have 1mb eircom home starter, it has a 10gb cap but i cant live with that, i called eircom but since i am on the end of the line they dont have the option to upgrade me to 2mb, they wouldnt even upgrade me to 2mb and just give me the 20gb download limit when i spoke to one of the "higher up",
    SO my question is, does anyone know any GOOD alternative companys that give a higher cap, i have allready been charged for going 20gb over my limit last month, so i NEED to change

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

IBB DSL have similar prices, but no cap. Great service too

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

That's odd. I would have thought they'd jump at the chance to get more money from a customer. It's worth another shot -- hopefully you won't get the same person.

What are your line stats like? Your router should be able to give you these.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

i rang and asked for a different operator, 4 times
    then i asked for their manager, but again, "Sorry but we can not increase your limit or upgrade you to 2mb and leave you on 1mb even if you sign paperwork and agree"
    Yet they made me sign 3 differnet piecies of paperwork because i am the LAST house on the exchange that can get broadband (and the onlyone who cant get airwire.ie wireless broadband as our house is in a hole.)
    im going to call irish broadband tomorrow and see will they move me over

edit: here are stats
    Speed
    1024/128 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    63/31 dB
    edit2:
    more stats :p
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 9.50 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 7000 44

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

2Shae wrote:
    i rang and asked for a different operator, 4 times
    then i asked for their manager, but again, "Sorry but we can not increase your limit or upgrade you to 2mb and leave you on 1mb even if you sign paperwork and agree"
    Yet they made me sign 3 differnet piecies of paperwork because i am the LAST house on the exchange that can get broadband (and the onlyone who cant get airwire.ie wireless broadband as our house is in a hole.)
    im going to call irish broadband tomorrow and see will they move me over

edit: here are stats
    Speed
    1024/128 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    63/31 dB
    edit2:
    more stats :p
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 9.50 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 7000 44

Your line stats are dire particularly as you are only in the 1Mb - if Eircom upgrade you you would have endless disconnects and really would be doing you no favour.

told u i was on the END of the line, the house next to me cant get it,
    at 9:29 every nite my router disconnects. my torrent box logs these and is always on but its always 9:29 in the eve. which is very weird....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

How far away can decent DSL be had ? If you knew someone around there you could set up your own link to it ( i know you are "down in a hole " can you see anything ?)

if the 20ft trees were not behind the house i would have amazing wireless from airewire.ie

Lol@ "amazing wireless" .... anyway how far are the trees from the house ( vital this bit .....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

2Shae wrote:
    i have allready been charged for going 20gb over my limit last month, so i NEED to change

I am surprised no one has questioned this as it is the first time I have read , on here , of someone being charged for going over the cap by eircom . Having said that I probably don't browse through here often enough , so going by the statement above , are there many more instances of people being charged ?

Yip , i've seen a "you owe us XXX.XXe , but that wont apply if you upgrade"

• Advertisement

jonski wrote:
    I am surprised no one has questioned this as it is the first time I have read , on here , of someone being charged for going over the cap by eircom . Having said that I probably don't browse through here often enough , so going by the statement above , are there many more instances of people being charged ?

Jonski people bring up the subject with monotonous regularity as if they almost a wish for Eircom to start charging so that they can bash them over something else! For example:

http://w
    ww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055150892

Having said that if Eircom were charging on any sort of widespread basis boards would be full of it I am sure - and also if someone has already downloaded 50g with only half the month gone by it is difficult to see how Eircom will not be forced into charging for such abuse of a cap - no one will convince me that these are 50g of legitimate linux distros!

dub45 wrote:
    Having said that if Eircom were charging on any sort of widespread basis boards would be full of it I am sure -

Thats what I figured
    and also if someone has already downloaded 50g with only half the month gone by it is difficult to see how Eircom will not be forced into charging for such abuse of a cap - no one will convince me that these are 50g of legitimate linux distros!

Agreed ,although there are now 3 of us using it in my house ( at the same time ), Daughter never gets off bebo , msn and Youtube , son is on bebo msn Youtube and gaming( patches mappacks and demos) , and I am on gaming and streaming either trailers of football or rugby and we are tipping off the 20 gig mark on most months

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jonski wrote:
    we are tipping off the 20 gig mark on most months

Is Smart not available in parts of Limerick? Switch to them, cheaper, faster speeds and no cap.

spurious wrote:
    Is Smart not available in parts of Limerick? Switch to them, cheaper, faster speeds and no cap.

They are , I am reluctant to change providers though as I am getting very good and stable pings on Eircom and have been doing so for the last 3 years .

jonski wrote:

Agreed ,although there are now 3 of us using it in my house ( at the same time ), Daughter never gets off bebo , msn and Youtube , son is on bebo msn Youtube and gaming( patches mappacks and demos) , and I am on gaming and streaming either trailers of football or rugby and we are tipping off the 20 gig mark on most months

Bandwidth has become/is becoming a major issue for isps everywhere not just in Ireland. If you look at the stuff that has become commonplace even since the introduction of dsl here - the youtubes, bebo, uploading pics etc etc it is a completely different picture particularly the upload side of things. Not so long ago the only thing that most people 'uploaded' was an email or two.

You should really think about Smart particularly as the porting thing is becoming less of an issue although your family obviously will not forgive you for any downtime!

dub45 wrote:
    You should really think about Smart particularly as the porting thing is becoming less of an issue although your family obviously will not forgive you for any downtime!

Family ? the problem with downtime would be with me , they can do stuff like ...go to school and stuff , what about me ? when do I get some consideration ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I may be behind in all of this (as until recently I was living in Dungarvan with 9MB Cable BB :D) but aren't all DSL users due a fairly big boost in their Speed/Bandwidth shortly?

I may be behind in all of this (as until recently I was living in Dungarvan with 9MB Cable BB :D) but aren't all DSL users due a fairly big boost in their Speed/Bandwidth shortly?

What do you base this on? There is no point stating this type of thing unless you back it up.

I think that speeds have probably gone as far as they are likely to go for the time being given the state of the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

It's all what you hear, really. A lot of towns are still riddled with BB-related road works with the promise that their DSL will be better in the future.

I have nothing to back it up and I just wanted to seee if there was anyone who was in the know; to back it up.

Apologies. :D

Advertisement