Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question On 'picture Noise'

Options
  • 15-09-2007 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have recently put a Samsung LCD 40 inch LE40R8 on my wall. I had to use a 3 metre scart which I picked up in power city for 5 0r 6 euro. I seem to be getting a lot of picture noise when the TV is showing a scene with a lot of white in it and there seems to be a background buzz in general. The buzz sound disappears when i mute the TV but not when I mute the NTL Digital box. It also doesn't seem to be present on the DVD signal.
    Am i right in assuming it might be related to the quality / length of the scart? Or has it something to do with my NTL Digital box?
    Any help appreciated.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

this could be a lot of things, but I would say its the video signal coupling into the audio cables on the scart lead. Crosstalk like this is common on poor scart leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellowhill

Yea, thanks for the reply. makes sense. I'm going to try a new scart and see.
    Anyone got any suggestions as to the best place to pick up a decent 3 metre scart of good quality. I've heard of the Monster range that DID are pushing but I think a standard length is 99 euro!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,279 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

wouldnt pay a lot for a new scart unless I knew it was the problem

if you use the same scart with dvd player do you get the same problems, that would show if the scart is the issue. Sounds like it could alos be the ntl box, if it has video and audio phono sockets trying them instead of the scart, would be another option.

if you do want to get a better quality scart, probably buying online is the cheapest option. i wouldnt go for the cheapest scart. but i also wouldnt go for something that costs a hundred bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellowhill

Thanks. Yea I use the same type of scart from the DVD to the TV (though obviuosly the DVD and the NTL digital box go into two different scart sockets on the TV). I bought the two of them at the same time. And i have no problems with 'Picture Noise' or buzz with the DVD player whenever i play something.
    Might try the audio/phono sockets option as well to rule out the scart issue. Cheers.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

just one thing to consider there. the video out of a DVD player is generally better that most other devices with good stable video blacker than black even:). the video out on cable boxes and FTA boxes and the like can vary between manufactures. the Video out of the scart and the phono are generally not buffered so its the same output, by using phono leads the screening is individual on each of the cables thereby that will most lightly solve the problem,but only because the cable is screened but you will loose your scart control, RGB, widescreen selection switching etc.
    a good 3m lead can be picked up for around 15-20 Euro, you can generally tell them from poor leads by their diameter a good lead is around 20mm.

the box could still be faulty, but your scart lead sounds poor either way, so with that in mind its probably no harm to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I have a similar problem on a Hitachi 32 inch but I have purple interference appearing on screen but only on DVD and cable box.Standard aeriel signal does not seem to have a problem.
    Would this be the same issue or something else?
    Any ideas welcome because I have tried everything and next stop is back to shop with it..

Advertisement