Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colin McRae's Helicopter Crashes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Doesn't look to good at all.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Heard that on Sky.

Doesn't look promising. They say that two people were on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

looks really bad, the way they're talking on skynew :(
    this seems to confirm the worst
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Sky News are reporting that 4 people have died in this crash, and that Colin McCrae was on board.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

The Times online is reporting that both Colin and his 5 year old son were killed, as were another passenger and child, it seems.

If this is true, I'm absolutely devastated. I was a massive fan of Colin's and followed him right from the early 90's when he started making his mark in the British Rally Championship in the Rothmans Subaru Legacy. Also, the fact that his son was involved is just heartbreaking.

My heart goes out to his wife and daughter, his father Jimmy, brother Alister and the rest of his family and friends. :(

God, first Bertie and Mark Fisher and now this. What is it with rally drivers and these fatal helicopter crashes, I wonder! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Yet another rallying master has left us.
    Thoughts go out to the McRae family.

It's sad that we've lost some top people in national and international rallying through events outside the sport itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

This is very upsetting news of the worst kind.I heard the headline on radio 4 and then they mentioned his son and their friends. I was always held pretty much spell bound by him and he really got me going. Watching him beating the **** out of a car to try and fix it with whatever he could lay his hands on will always be the image that springs to mind. My sincere condolebnces go out to his wife, daughter Hollie and the rest of his family.

I'm still hoping against hope that he hasn't been killed but it's looking less and less likely anyone survived the crash from the news reports coming out. :(

Here's a couple of videos of how I'll remember him best.

Spectacular to watch but also incredibly fast. And it also just goes to show his "never say die" attitude...... he's rolls the car completely and yet he still keeps on going! Fantastic! :D And the logo on the side of the car sums him up perfectly....... No Fear!

Great tribute and great memories of a great man!

He didn't even need a helicopter to fly. Just give him a rally car and the Bunnings jumps in Australia and he'd give you all the flying you'd want! :D

Just look at that slide at 4.08. Poetry in motion! And as for the finish, well, what can you say? Colin always, ALWAYS did the best donuts! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

sad day in the world of motorsport its lost another one of it greats :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

has this been confirmed as yet. Suppose here is to wishful thinking and its not him.

Deepest respects to his family and friends, a true legend has left the pits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Body hasn't been identified but his manager said he was in the helicopter and its been too long unconfirmed for him to just turn up.

they say the crash was so bad, they were not sure how many was in the helicopter.
    Identification is to take place today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It has now been confirmed that Colin and his son Johnny aged 5 have been killed along with a 37 year old and another child aged 6.

Truely sad news for the family and for the Rallying world.

The Rallying world has lost a legend and the McRae Family have lost a father and son.

May they RIP

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Very sad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Terrible news. Always one of my favourite rally drivers and I loved the rally games.

Sad day for motorsport and as usual it seems break night speeds in a car never get them, how many racing drivers have died in plane/helicopter crashes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Very sad family tragedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

R.I.P Colin and Johnny McRae

Such an awful tradegy...:(

saw him race in the champions of champions in Telde Gran Canaria back in 98.

Final went down to the McRae bothers, Colin and Allister. What a weekend that was. Truly a remarkable driver.

RIP

• Advertisement

My God, talk about your bizarre coincidences.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/6997784.stm

The boss has a helicopter crash of his own the day after one of his former employees dies in a helicopter crash himself.

Colin McRae

Richard Burns

Bertie Fisher......

all drove Prodrive-prepared equipment at some stage.

What the hell is going on? It's almost like Prodrive or anyone associated with them is jinked or something! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Shocking tragedy indeed and deepest sympathy to his family and friends. While rally enthusiasts will have missed him since he stopped competing in WRC, they will miss him on an entirely different level. Ar a dheis Dé go raibh a h-ainm. (I guess wherever they are, himself, Burnsy and Fisher can truly have a race of champions to end all races).

While the Prodrive thing is a morbid coincidence, so many people have driven Prodrive cars that it can be little more. I guess their cars are expensive, so driven by wealthy people, who are more likely to buy and fly their own helicopters.

nice to see valintino rossi dedicating his win to colin after sundays moto gp race in portugal

still cant believe it though may the four of them R.I.P :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Yeah the news has really touched all types of motorsport. On Martin Brundles' grid walk I saw someone holding a sign saying "Slainte Colin" and others at the start of the Moto GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Very sad news. RIP Colin. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sad the way both of the British WRC winners are both gone and both still young.
    I flew with one of the guys that helped train Colin McRae and he mentioned how good his reactions were and how he could anticapate what the heli was about to do.
    By all acounts he was a very nice guy and in no way pretentious.
    RIP.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

****, only now heard. Knew the chopper crashed but ****.

RIP.

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Ah man what a sad time for motorsport. A true legend lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Bobby04

What are peoples thoughts on the fact that Colin was in advanced negotiations for a return to the WRC next year? Team unknown, but one could speculate who might be a suitable replacement for Gronholm at Ford!! Sadly, we'll never get to see it, but imagine Colin back in a very competitive Focus, without active diffs which went somewhat against his tail out driving style, and with another chance to claim the second world championship we all know he so much deserved. Alas...

RIP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement