Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

McRae's Helicopter Crashes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It has now been confirmed that Colin and his son Johnny aged 5 have been killed along with a 37 year old and another child aged 6.

Truely sad news for the family and for the Rallying world.

The Rallying world has lost a legend and the McRae Family have lost a father and son.

May they RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RIP to Colin and the others involved. Tragic!

Will sadly be missed. He put motor rallying (and Subaru) on the map as far I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Hard luck to him and his family. Apparantly 4 people died. May they RIP.
    An absolute legend of a driver. Between him and Richard Burns, the WRC scene have lost 2 of their absolute finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Helicopters seem to go down an awfull lot. I dont think I'd ever consider using one to commute (if I was in the financial position to be able to). Maybe an odd trip but using one regularly seems to be pushing your luck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Very saddened to read this. May they all R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

R.I.P to Colin, Johnny and the other two victims. My thoughts are with his wife and daughter and all those affected. A terrible tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

tragic, we have lost a true hero and inspiration to all who dream of success in the motorsport industry, my thoughts and prayers are with the remaining members of his family and friends

RIP to Colin, Johnny, and the other two souls who perished, you will be sorely missed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ah Christ, that is terrible, poor McCrae family.

RIP A true legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Shocking news. Scottish legend, rally legend.
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

my sporting hero,i still can't believe this has happened,im absolutely devastated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

Rally new zealand, trail of dust behind and a subaru 20ft in the air.... Thats how i will remenber a true legend. R.I.P The greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Is it me or is this fishy David richards colin mcrae's former boss at prodrive and his wife have also been involved in a helicopter crash and thankfully has walked away

apparently they were returning from the belgian grand prix
    http://motoring.reuters.co.uk/reuters/vocmain.jsp?lnk=101&id=2389

RIP Colin true legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Valantino Rossi payed a very touching homage to collin mcrae dedicating his win this weekend. A true legend in the world of sport. He will be sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Jesus what a shocker alrite really sad. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

This has really gotten to me, Colin was the person that 1st sparked my interest in rallying, i was tired of looking at cars looping around a track with very little of what you could call real action, then i saw colin performing on TV in the WRC one day and i was hooked.

Iv laid awake the last two nights thinking of him and his family and the families of the others who perished...

To me, it almost feels like a personal loss for some reason... He had so much passion yet always seemed like a guy you could walk up to and chat away as if he were from across the road.

Words cant express...

Know how you feel Bendihorse. It's strange someone that you may never have met can have such a huge impact. Really can't stop thinking about it, hasn't sunk in at all. Such a tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

to me Collin was the Ayrton Senna of rallying, utterly undeniable brilliance touched with moments of madness that showed he truly tethered on the edge of genius.

Collin truely had it in his blood too, I remember my Dad bringing me to see Jimmy in the Circuit of Ireland driving a Manta 400, he thought his son well and I am truely sad for him his wife the wife of Colin and everyone involved.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

This is truely a tragedy for all concerned !

Such a waste of lives !

It feels rather sureal for me as I heard about the news whilst on holidays in Spain where last year I took a book all about Colin McRae to read !!

I loved to watch Jimmy McRae too, and when Colin arrived on the scene it changed rallying forever, especially in the Subarus.

I have a distinct memeory of Colin, in the early days driving the Legacy 4 Cam, where all the other drivers came over this long fast brow into a tight left
    turn. All the others deccelerated on the brow and approached cautiously, took the bend and accelerated out. Colin arrived at what seemed like an insane speed, still accelerating, he locked it up, went from one side of the road to the other, sideways, arrived at the bend all crossed up and broadside, and layed rubber down in a big arc as he blasted through.

It was so fast, so different, everyones jaw just dropped. He must have gained 5 seconds in that one corner alone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Yeah a true legend, I have a great memory of him from Rallymasters in Punchestown. I was at the railing beside the track and he came charging up in the Focus, locked the e-brake and performed a perfect 360 right where I was standing. Literally a foot away. I'll never forget it. He had about two feet clearance between both railings!

He flew in to Punchestown that day in the Squirrel too...

Truely Tragic loss.

RIP

mcrmq1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Bendihorse wrote:
    To me, it almost feels like a personal loss for some reason... He had so much passion yet always seemed like a guy you could walk up to and chat away as if he were from across the road.
    QUOTE]

I can remember Richard Burns being on Top Gear and saying that Colin was so down to earth and he would far rather get a curry chip from a greasy spoon than sit down for a proper meal!

Shame he died when he had so much left to give to the sport and to his family. Like Bertie Fisher who grabbed me and pulled me into the world of Irish rallying, Colin will always have a place in my heart as the man who introduced me to the magical world of WRC!!R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Heh, I found this image on another forum that I frequent:

colin_mcrae_helicopter.jpg

A bit of bad taste, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Max_Damage wrote:

A bit of bad taste, eh?

jesus some asshole must of made that because any with a right mind could not of come to moke the dead especially a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Oh don't worry, there's plenty of sick bastards out there, some lunatic put a disgusting message on Colin's website the other night, couldn't believe what I was reading but whoever wrote it needs medical help.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Max_Damage wrote:

A bit of bad taste, eh?
    Some day those knackers will lose someone close to them. Hopefully someone makes fun of it to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Terrible tragedy. I wish all the strength to all of his family to deal with this loss

For gods sake thats just stupid what sick idiot would take the time to make that image

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That IS sick !

Can someone remove it please, I find it offensive to be honest !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Was that the actual helicopter he was flying?What are the mods at leaving that up there?

Hey MarkN can you post the message that that idiot put up and where we can find it (the link in other words) so we can give this fella a bit of "advice"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

Bendihorse wrote:
    This has really gotten to me, Colin was the person that 1st sparked my interest in rallying, i was tired of looking at cars looping around a track with very little of what you could call real action, then i saw colin performing on TV in the WRC one day and i was hooked.

Iv laid awake the last two nights thinking of him and his family and the families of the others who perished...

Words cant express...

Bendi : I could'nt have put it better myself .
    I've also laid awake ,and there's not really an hour that passes without me thinking about the loss .

I remember in Secondary school , 1,2,3rd year - Id be in my room studying , whilst really studying eurosport with the wrc on .
    I also seen him at rallymasters and got my copy of his book autographed by him.
    What bugs me is , the fact he was mad in a car , and he died in a bloody heli.
    If he died in a car crash doing 120 , you'd say well colin lived by the sword and he died by the sword.
    Also the fact he was so close to home is sickening.

R.I.P Colin , and Johnny and 2 others that died .
    God give there family's strength :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Was that the actual helicopter he was flying?

Eh no. There was nothing left of his helicopter. Picture should be removed tbh. Don't know why you posted it Max if you reckon it's bad taste also. You're only doing some gobshíte a favour by spreading it around.

For anyone that doesn't get WRC podcasts you can checkout this site and in the black box just scroll down to podcast No.62. A nice tribute to Colin from the people that knew him best.

Advertisement