Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title:

Options
  • 15-09-2007 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey, I'm a repeat student and I've decided to take up applied maths. I've heard you only have to do about six topics on the course to be almost guaranteed a full paper next june. Any advice on what the handiest topics are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

[I'm going to assume you're talking about the Honours Paper]The 6 most common topics covered are: Accelerated Linear Motion (Q1), Relative Velocity (Q2), Particles (Q3), Newton's Laws and Connected Particles (Q4), Impacts and Collisions (Q5) and Ordinary Differential Equations (Q10).
    It's really a very bad idea to only do 6 topics - almost all students do at least 1 other topic for obvious reasons. I, myself, did 3 other topics, but that was mostly because I quite liked the subject. The most common optional topics are Circular and Simple Harmonic Motion (Q6) and Statics (Q7). The other 2 questions aren't really done that often, especially Rigid Body Rotation (Q8).

When I did applied maths in 2002 we covered 6 subjects in 6th year, but (annoyingly) they threw a question from Simple Harmonic Motion onto the start of Impacts & Collisions. So it isn't guaranteed that you only need to cover 6 questions.

Advertisement