Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud sounds like gunfire in the distance.

Options
  • 15-09-2007 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone living the North side of Dublin hear those loud bangs coming from the distance. It sounds like heavy guns firing. Are the army doing any live fire training tonight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Yes I can, I'm a bit closer to it, D3, and its fireworks, its been going on a long time now, wonder what its for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I thought it was the army training in Gormanstown. Thought it funny that I could hear that from this far away.

Those are some serious fireworks, the dogs are going ballistic around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Can anyone living the North side of Dublin hear those loud bangs coming from the distance. It sounds like heavy guns firing. Are the army doing any live fire training tonight?

Yes, we're bombing Stormont.

The war has begun, lets stampede the women and rape te cattle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I was jogging on the Clontarf promenade last night and you could clearly see the firework display.

Looks good too, so it wasn't skangers messing although it's almost that time of the year again :mad:

I don't know the exact location or what it was for though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Looked like it over near Ringsend or the docks. Quite impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I thought it was the army training in Gormanstown. Thought it funny that I could hear that from this far away.

The Army don't use anything heavy out in Gormanstown.

Dub13 wrote:
    The Army don't use anything heavy out in Gormanstown.

I saw in the paper a week ago that they are doing live fire training in the coming weeks of the anti aircraft guns on the Gormanstown range. It was a general notice to the public.

I would class the bofars anti aircraft guns as heavy.

So would I.

I was talking about on a daily bases nothing heavy is used.Even if it was you woul be doing well do hear it in D3.

Dub13 wrote:
    So would I.

I was talking about on a daily bases nothing heavy is used.Even if it was you woul be doing well do hear it in D3.

I am in the D13 area, and I was thinking it very strange to be able to hear it at that distance if it was an exercise. That plus I don't think they do night time firing of those guns, could be wrong.

I am also in Dublin 13 and what ever it was I heard it as well,I actually taught it was thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Those are some serious fireworks, the dogs are going ballistic around here.

Hah, nice pun! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I saw in the paper a week ago that they are doing live fire training in the coming weeks of the anti aircraft guns on the Gormanstown range. It was a general notice to the public.

More of a medium class AA isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Doubt it was gunfire. Living in the southside of Dublin. I could occasionally hear the boom of artillery fire when the wind was in the right direction. Probably the Glen of Imaal or maybe Kilbride range.

I remember being in Gormanston when the 2nd AA were firing at the Cessnas, sorry the drogues. You could barely hear them in the camp.

In Galway, you can hear automatic gunfire all over the city. No it's not visiting Limerick and Dublin gangsters fighting it out but the range at Renmore barracks. In Renmore itself it really is quite extradonarily loud. You'd think you were in Baghdad sometimes. I wonder how much longer they can have an army firing range in what is effectively a well to do suburb of Galway these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

cp251 wrote:
    Doubt it was gunfire. Living in the southside of Dublin. I could occasionally hear the boom of artillery fire when the wind was in the right direction. Probably the Glen of Imaal or maybe Kilbride range.

I remember being in Gormanston when the 2nd AA were firing at the Cessnas, sorry the drogues. You could barely hear them in the camp.

In Galway, you can hear automatic gunfire all over the city. No it's not visiting Limerick and Dublin gangsters fighting it out but the range at Renmore barracks. In Renmore itself it really is quite extradonarily loud. You'd think you were in Baghdad sometimes. I wonder how much longer they can have an army firing range in what is effectively a well to do suburb of Galway these days.

The Artillery range is in the Glen of Imaal, I severely doubt you can hear firing from there in Dublin.

2AD have fired upon the Cessna in the past.

There is no range in Renmore. Oranmore is the nearest, and you can't hear that in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

I've never heard gunfire from Renmore in Galway and I live in the Docks, so I can see the Barracks from my apartment. The range is, as mentioned in a previous post, in Oranmore - you can see it from the train just before you pass the old station in Oranmore (now part of a waste disposal plant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

The boys up in Gormanston are at it again this morning. Sounds pretty heavy aswell - I noticed that the Irish Air Force's F16 (i.e: A Cessna or whatever) was doing a few fly-bys too....

Monasette wrote:
    I've never heard gunfire from Renmore in Galway and I live in the Docks, so I can see the Barracks from my apartment. The range is, as mentioned in a previous post, in Oranmore - you can see it from the train just before you pass the old station in Oranmore (now part of a waste disposal plant).

You're kidding. I've heard gunfire out as far as Ballybrit. In Renmore itself it is very obvious to say the least. My wife is a Galwegian and she grew up overlooking Lough Atalia. She heard the sound of shooting all her life.

I don't think it's a full size range but it's there all right.

As for Dublin, I doubt I could hear the Glen of Imaal but I did hear distant fire from bigger guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Drax wrote:
    The boys up in Gormanston are at it again this morning. Sounds pretty heavy aswell - I noticed that the Irish Air Force's F16 (i.e: A Cessna or whatever) was doing a few fly-bys too....

An AC Cessna tows the target drogue.

You can barely hear 9mm ranges from the barrack gate.

I've heard the sound of shooting both in Renmore near the barracks, from the Dublin road, Mervue and Ballybrit. It happens regularly.

• Advertisement

cp251 wrote:
    I've heard the sound of shooting both in Renmore near the barracks, from the Dublin road, Mervue and Ballybrit. It happens regularly.

You have some excellent ears. Are you a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mairt wrote:
    Yes, we're bombing Stormont.

The war has begun, lets stampede the women and rape te cattle :D
    F**king A! Where do we sign up / get our cache of arms?

testicle wrote:
    You have some excellent ears. Are you a dog?

There is no need to be insulting. :mad: You obviously don't know what you're talking about and you're beginning to look foolish. If you know anyone who is from Galway or lives near Renmore or anyone that served in Renmore barracks. Ask them. There is a warning sign on the beach and is listed among the firing ranges in use by the army.

cp251 wrote:
    There is no need to be insulting. :mad: You obviously don't know what you're talking about and you're beginning to look foolish. If you know anyone who is from Galway or lives near Renmore or anyone that served in Renmore barracks. Ask them. There is a warning sign on the beach and is listed among the firing ranges in use by the army.

A few posts back, you could hear "automatic gunfire" all over the city. A few posts later, you could only hear "gunfire" in Ballybrit, and Lough Atalia. Now you tell us you can only hear them in Renmore. Who's telling porkies now? What you probably heard in Ballybrit is the range in Oranmore, as it is a lot closer than Renmore.

There is a range in Dún Ui Mhaoliosa, like most other barracks, for sub calibre and simulation shooting, but there is no earthly way in hell that you will hear "automatic gunfire" from it. Even if you are inside it.The poor pitch and putters would have a heart attack!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

I'll be up in the barracks next Thursday at a lecture, so I'll ask the guys then.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Sorry Testicle, but cp251 is right !! The sound from the firing range can be heard in Mervue and further on a regular basis. If conditions are right.
    It is some thing we have grown up with and take for granted. It
    is for small arms only. It must be a bit unnerving for visitors I guess.

Advertisement