Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turtle sick-advice needed asap.

Options
  • 15-09-2007 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

My map turtle seems lethargic and seems to have bubbley eyes, its like his eyes are closed over-he's trying to eat but cant see-i,ve tried hand feeding him but its not working to great-any advice on what i can do short term before i get him to the vets-anyone think they know whats wrong with him? his friend and 2 terrapins are fine,,

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sounds like a fungal eye infection, but impossible to tell without photo evidence. Are you using aquarium salts in the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

you can try turtle eye drops,,, what are you treating the water with that the turtle is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

for us to help we are going to need more information,

age, size of aquarium, water temps., does he have uvb light and a uva basking light?, and water quality.

do you think it could possably be due to water condtions? maps are very sensitive to water conditions and the water need to be crystal clear and clean all the time.

get him to a vet but if you need to wait we can't help with no info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Could be a vitamin A deficiency, which causes swollen eyes...are you giving him any vitamin supplements, and if so, are they in date and being administered at the right amount? Also what are you feeding him? Secondary infections can also occur with a vit A deficiency too, it's worth getting him checked out asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

its a turtle eye infection caused by stress which leads to the the turtle immune system getting weak. then the fungus attacks. try adding some common salt (make sure there is no baking agents!) add 1 tea spoon per 2 gallons of water do more water changes than usual. if that doesnt work then exo terra make a turtle eye drop that should help. if it still not cleared up bring him to the vet. hope he gets better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

take it to the vet> hope fully they can help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

How's the turtle?

Advertisement