Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Robinson

Options
  • 15-09-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

What is the general Spurs supporter opinion of Robinson? I've been watching him the last few weeks and I have to say, his positioning for long range shots is terrible. The Nani goal in the Utd game is case in point. He was hanging aroudn the edge of the 6 yard box and actually stepped another yard or so further out as he shot. It left loads of space for the ball to get up over and back down into the goal.

The Fabregas goal today was another I thought he should have been a couple of yard sfurther back in.

He just seems to leave so much space for a high shot to go over him. He's getting beaten by shots that are going in a yard under the bar, where as if hes close to the line its a simple catch or tap over.

His general keeping has been poor lately (the first goal today) but that can be down to form and will most likely come good. Positioning is something ingrained in you when your serving your time as a keeper and much harder to put right.

Havnt checked but have Spurs a decent no2 that could be given a couple of games.

Would hate to see him leave permenantly but I think Carson would be a very good buy for Spurs. I really think he'll be a top notch keeper but I dont think Rafa is going to give him his shot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

he has been letting in long range shots for all his life
    anyone remember bolton last season when he let one in from the half way line?

id like a new manager and a new keeper please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

It's not his starting positions it's his inability to move his feet, he has lead in his boots. Shots that most keepers take a step or 2 towards before diving Robbo just dives for from his standing position, so he lets in more long range shots than he should.

This is also responsible for his inability to deal with crosses. Not a chance in hell he would be in any of the top 4 teams, Wenger knew what he was doing those years ago when before he came to Spurs Robbo went to Arsenal for Wenger to look at him and was rejected because of his lack of athleticism.

We'd get a lot more points with another keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Having been at the game!!
    Guessed free kick would end in score - Robbo rooted to line.
    Then 2 long range shots (powerfullly struck ) beats him too.

Today however our strikers left us down Berba twice - 1 on 1 and header and Bent 2 opps in last 15 minutes. What a shocking waste of money!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

I only saw the game on MOTD and to be fair to Robinson he pulled off a couple of good saves and our defence is so poor he is lacking in confidence, Kaboul was very bad today and to turn his back on a Fabregas instead of closing him down was real amateur stuff, for the first goal nobody challenged for the ball and it was left to Robinson to mop up, as for l'Ars* they played well because they were let play we didn't close them down, once again we lose the ball in attack and we're punished for basic errors, I'm still very p****d off and I'm surrounded by "Scum" supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

[QUOTE=

id like a new manager and a new keeper please.[/QUOTE]

I thought Cerny did quite well in pre-season games. Would it not be an idea to play him in the next game or two seeing as Robinson seems to be totally lacking in confidence at present?

All in all, a bad weekend......that is, until Kerry beat Cork in the All Ireland Final!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to be fair to Robinson he pulled off a couple of good saves .

one on one, and reaction saves, id put paul robinson as the best in the premier with given and cech. i think there is little in the difference between them.

we actually give awy very few goals in the 6 yrad box, unless from a set piece.

however, the amount of goals that we let in through set pieces and through long range shots is just stupid. every game we just have the opposition taking shots form outside the area. why? becuase robinson is crap at long range shots.

i agree, lets get cerny in. he deserves the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I was behind the goal that ars were playin in to in 2nd half and the minute they got free kick i thought goal...robinson is making these mistakes week in week out..Cerny deserves a chance. i don't understand why Jol leaves it so late to make changes...Bent got 9 mins on the field!!!...why oh why did we not spend that money we bought him for on 2 half descent midfielders????

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

ruiseal wrote:
    All in all, a bad weekend......that is, until Kerry beat Cork in the All Ireland Final!

I was there too. Long journey home - could have left with 30 minutes to go. What a shambles of a week-end - if Georgia had a back i would have 3 bad results!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

I agree about Robinson. it's time for a change. how about that lad Ainsworth we bought from Blunderland? surely he's worth a chance in goal...

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Since and including last season, Robinson has conceded 14 goals from outside the box in the PL, 3 more than the next highest pair (Carson and Schwarzer)

Shocking statistic.

His positioning is awful, and by all accounts he cannot be coached (or refuses to address the problem). I cannot understand why Jol continues with him in goal, he will never work on this deficiency in his game as long as he knows he's guaranteed the #1 shirt. I've seen enough of Cerny to suggest he should get his chance.

Diablo, the lad you're thinking of is Ben Alnwick, I've not seen anything of him so can't comment on whether he's up to the task.

p.s. I agree with hotspur re. his agility, but I think that simply compounds the positioning errors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement