Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Surfboard

Options
  • 15-09-2007 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Just started my GreenBoard, BioFoam blank from homeblown, just did the pre-shaping today.

Just cut the outline and rasped back to the line, feels different-very different from PU foam, even though its 50% MDF.

No shots as yet, will post when I get the film developed, also did not get any electronic footage, but did get some super8 (have 3 cassettes left) - will develop and tranfer when I win the lottery.

Moving to a proper shapers bay on the 23rd so hope to get some electronic footage there - then post here.

Glassing will be done with bio-resin from sustainable composites UK, Leashplug is cornstarch and cloth will be bamboo - both from Brian at Greenlight Pa.

- think its the first of this type in Europe.

Its going to be a 7'2 maybe Magic Carpet or Bonzer or Hybryd of the two, probably go with the Bonzer bottom - bit nervous, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I want it to be a good all-rounder, but also a technology demonstrator - wont be using a vaccum bag, so if we can do a greenboard, any backyard shaper can.

I want to put in a log central fin with quad side fins- 4WFS if I can get some here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Cool, be sure to keep us updated :tup:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

When I get it done I will put an article up in irishsurfer.com

Also hoping to do a vid podcast for worldsurfradio.com

Tested a UV activated BioReisin on a patch, did not take.

I did have a UV light etc. and did it with recommended timings etc.
    I know it works with regular glass, and other natural fabric options that might work are linen or muslin

Will give it another shot with the bioreisin, but I am looking at another reisin product that may be suitable.

Another question is are the biofoam blanks yellow - no - but in the past they were more susceptable to UV/Yellowing.

I am informed that the new blanks are better formulated and more resistant to UV, but, again, we will see how it holds up.

Also, if the new reisin works, I will be using it on the hollow wood kit

Will update end of month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭volker 991

You need to put a barrier between the patchwork and and the bio resin as the bioresin will react with the mdf.

I'll be very interested in your updates as am interested in doing something like this myself.

I don't see a problem using the new two part bio-resin on the blank as it will be an epoxy type. MDF should be able to handle it, but I will do another test patch first.
    Main concern at the moment will be to do the test patch, and should we vacuum bag the fecker first time out.
    Ideally it should be a system that a back yard shaper could use, and not everyone can bag a board-bit tricky at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement