Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice on overclocking my C2QX and RAM

Options
  • 15-09-2007 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok sad to say, i've never been an Intel overclocker. So hopefully by the end of this thread i'll be proficient in Intel overclocking. :D

I've been looking through the BIOS and while I recognise a lot of the values, some of them I don't.

Like this BIOS screen for example:

bios-system-clocks-bottom-big.jpg

Is there anything aside from the CPU multiplier that I need to be concerned with when overclocking?

and then this one:

bios-cpu-config-big.jpg

What should I have enabled and disabled?

and finally:

bios-fsb-memory-big.jpg

My RAM is reading as SLI-Ready. I confirmed this on the Mushkin forums. What is the difference between linked and unlinked, is one option more stable than the other? As when I have them linked and the ratio set to auto it makes no difference? Is there performance hits from having them unlinked?

Also why is the FSB multiplied by 4?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can't see any bios screen pics m8, i'm sure ya meant 2 upload some. Post some pics m8, dunno where 2 start

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Turn off all the CPU Features for a start :)

Like Eist? Speed Step? Virtualisation (unless you use it) C1E? I think thats them all.

I havent looked into C2D overclocking much myself.. It was never as exciting as the Athlon 64 overclocking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

^ Yep I'm not familiar with your bios features but if speedstep is one definately disable it.

All it usually takes to begin with is upping the FSB.. With my Q6600 I just disabled the neccessary CPU features and went straight to raising the FSB. And your QX is clocked higher at stock so I can imagine you'll make it to at least 3.2GHz before needing extra volts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Intel overclocking is a nightmare. To many bloody options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Fixed images...

Anything got any information on what settings I should be changing when overclocking for the "HT Multiplier" and "spread spectrum settings"

Is the HT multiplier the same as the one on AMD mobos? i.e. is it the FSB multiplied by whatever the multi is?

• Advertisement

I always leave the spread spectrums alone, they dont seem to have anything to do with overclocking.

also why is the FSB multiplied by 4? I can't make sense of it because both the RAM and CPU seem to be ignoring this multiplying of the CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

if you go really high fsb youl need to drop the htt multipliers.

disable all cpu functions. if your c2qx is on aircooling dont except to be getting very high overclocks, mine could only get to 2.9ghz 24hour stable (same mobo aswell).
    you will need to put a bit of vcore into it to hit that also.

L31mr0d wrote:
    also why is the FSB multiplied by 4? I can't make sense of it because both the RAM and CPU seem to be ignoring this multiplying of the CPU?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruple_data_rate

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Anti wrote:
    I always leave the spread spectrums alone, they dont seem to have anything to do with overclocking.

No no anti! We must always, always set spread spectrum to "Disable" if we want to overclock our system! Else we will have a very unstable system.
    It has to do with the electromagnetic pulses/frequences (EMI)

Check some links here:
    http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=133
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum

• Advertisement

In the 1st bios screenie, set pci to 100-103mhz & disable all spread spectrums.

2nd screen, disable all, inc thermal control if your brave enough.

3rd screen, set your memory from auto to 533mhz, set timings 2 something loose like 5-5-5-15, this should have your memory running on a divider, because your fsb will be 266. leave on the 533mhz divider until you find your highest fsb & your memory will run @ the smallest divider (which will be 1:1). When you find your highest fsb, add a little voltage to your ram & move to 667mhz, this will run your ram faster than your fsb. Then slowly tighten timings 1 by 1 & run a 15 loop of test 5(bout 15mins) & a 10 loop test of test 6(bout an hour) in memtest. You can always test again later for longer.

I've overclocked a few boards with similar bios settings, & this is how i'd go about it.

Good luck m8

Pog

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

unseen wrote:
    No no anti! We must always, always set spread spectrum to "Disable" if we want to overclock our system! Else we will have a very unstable system.
    It has to do with the electromagnetic pulses/frequences (EMI)

Check some links here:
    http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=133
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum
    QFT, always disable spread spectrum.

Ok so I disable all spread spectrums including HT, SPP, MCP and SATA? Is that correct?

Also what is the "execute disable bit" and "virtualization technology"?

EDIT: btw, when i'm asking what something is, i'm asking it in relation to overclocking and stability. i.e. what values should I set for "execute disable bit" that will make my system more overclockable and stable.

L31mr0d wrote:
    Ok so I disable all spread spectrums including HT, SPP, MCP and SATA? Is that correct?

EDIT: btw, when i'm asking what something is, i'm asking it in relation to overclocking and stability. i.e. what values should I set for "execute disable bit" that will make my system more overclockable and stable.

disable them, they aparently can cause more heat which will obviously affect overclocking, disable all cpu functions on that screen

gline wrote:
    disable them, they aparently can cause more heat which will obviously affect overclocking, disable all cpu functions on that screen

:rolleyes: What he said, disable them all

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

L31mr0d wrote:

Execute disable bit is a security feature- it stops some buffer overflow attacks, virtualization technology enables hardware extensions for virtualization software. They won't effect overclocking so you can leave them enabled if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

Anti wrote:
    Intel overclocking is a nightmare. To many bloody options.

As opposed to using a DFI and AMD system which is what?? A walk in the park?:rolleyes: Intel is really easy to OC. Disable C1E, Eist and and power management related features. Find max fsb, then up the multi along with the voltages if needed and tighten up the latencies and subs making sure all temps are normal (less than 80c)....Couldn't be easier.

Bigchrome wrote:
    As opposed to using a DFI and AMD system which is what?? A walk in the park?:rolleyes: Intel is really easy to OC. Disable C1E, Eist and and power management related features. Find max fsb, then up the multi along with the voltages if needed and tighten up the latencies and subs making sure all temps are normal (less than 80c)....Couldn't be easier.

Thats true alright :)

But atleast i understood all the features of the dfi board with a opty, but these bloody intel cpu's are a nightmare. And dont forget i had been using a AMD chip since my jiuhb 1800+. But starting to get the hang of it now. Even though i am limited to 2.812ghz :/

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Anti you just need a P35 and i'm sure it'll be a breeze getting 3GHz and above...

There is just no high level of skill required if you got a P35 under your quad! If there was I would be no higher 3ghz right now:D And probably moaning about crashes here and there...

heh true, im actually pretty happy with a 100% stable pc for once lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Anti wrote:
    heh true, im actually pretty happy with a 100% stable pc for once lol.
    Hehe, I'd agree with you there. A stable pc is very nice. I run stock everything and only rev up for the benchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

i just read your post and i see you only have one core enabled ??

set your FSB to 1200 and the multi to 11 for 3300 mhz.
    also check the ram voltage it will be set to 1.85v on auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

there is mena be a new bios out for the evga that is mena give lots more headroom on the fsb wall and the overall overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

awhir wrote:
    there is mena be a new bios out for the evga that is mena give lots more headroom on the fsb wall and the overall overclock.

Its no. 31 I flashed it last week CPU temp went down a little but its mainly for people with GO stepping .

Advertisement