Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish/Uk speed cams

Options
  • 16-09-2007 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Got flashed in the UK this morning just outside Birmingham in my Irish car, am I facing points?

Have the DVLA managed to work out the points with the privates operating here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

no they havent

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

so im guessing its the same with UK/Northern cars over here so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

BRM wrote:
    so im guessing its the same with UK/Northern cars over here so?

UK & Northern cars caught in the Republic , Do not get Pionts

Northern Cars In the Republic & the UK do not get pionts

Republic cars in the UK & the North do not get pionts

Ergo you dont get pionts worst case is a fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

In current legislation you will not get points but that is set to change as the uk/irish system interwines

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Zambia232 wrote:

Aren't they keeping the points due to NI/UK registered cars caught offending here and when the systems merge they will then be applied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Zambia232 wrote:

Last time I checked Northern Ireland was in the UK... Would of assumed they had all the one system

Guess I was wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

1huge1 wrote:
    Guess I was wrong

Happens to the best of us.

Yes its hard to believe , but true. And I have heard nothing about a collection of pionts to be applied at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

I guess it wont take long to change that with the new private run cameras going up around the country.

The UK is full of them, some sat Nav systems have the fixed camera hotspots on them, it might be worth investing in one for the future, I was never into these laser jammers people talk about too much uncertainty about the legality of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Currently there is no interchange of points between the UK/NI and the RoI, but the two countries' governments are trying to get it together to make it stick in both places (all of the EU is working on this too, as there are huge issues on the continent with all of the land borders).

Currently there is no interchange of points at all, coming soon (2008) there will be a tie up for drivers banned (get banned in UK/NI or RoI and you're banned in the other place too, so no driving on a UK licence while your Irish one is suspended). This is easy, as you're either banned or not banned.

Later on, there will be interchange of points, but the systems will have to change - speeding in UK means 3 points out of a possible 12, whereas over here it means 2/4 points. Other countries in the EU have different systems again, eg: in Italy, your licence starts off with 12 points, which are removed as you are convicted of driving offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

1huge1 wrote:
    Last time I checked Northern Ireland was in the UK... Would of assumed they had all the one system

Guess I was wrong

Yes the UK does include Northern Ireland under its main government, but both mainland Britain (ENG, SCO, WAL) and Northern Ireland have separate departments in charge of motoring (DVLA and the DVLNI respectively), and separate Police Forces too. They have a link to exchange details of motoring offences in place for a while now, but once upon a time they were totally separate...

Once the UK/Ireland points system goes live (next year i think) then any Irish or UK driver will get points in any of the UK or Ireland so all 3 systems will be linked.

Once this happens then the rest of Western Europe should fall in line one by one, but not sure there are any plans for Eastern Europe to follow...

Don't like the fact you can get up to 4 points for speeding in Ireland and only 3 in the UK though... should be the same all over Europe for all points before they all link up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

r0nn13 wrote:
    Yes the UK does include Northern Ireland under its main government, but both mainland Britain (ENG, SCO, WAL) and Northern Ireland have separate departments in charge of motoring (DVLA and the DVLNI respectively), and separate Police Forces too. They have a link to exchange details of motoring offences in place for a while now, but once upon a time they were totally separate...
    There is still no automatic compatibility for points. If a NI driver is caught speeding inthe UK it is a court appearance, and the reverse is also true. it is possible to apply for a new counterpart for you license which allows you to "avail" (their choice of word) of the penalty point system.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

r0nn13 wrote:

Once the UK/Ireland points system goes live (next year i think) then any Irish or UK driver will get points in any of the UK or Ireland so all 3 systems will be linked.

Once this happens then the rest of Western Europe should fall in line one by one, but not sure there are any plans for Eastern Europe to follow...

Don't like the fact you can get up to 4 points for speeding in Ireland and only 3 in the UK though... should be the same all over Europe for all points before they all link up...

Thanks for clearing that up

I'm sure with the way the EU is making us all under one system they will have the same points for driving offence's in a few years

Advertisement