Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage girl hit by car in Clontarf, I witnessed it

Options
  • 16-09-2007 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Around 11pm last night (Saturday), I was waiting to cross the end of the Malahide road to go to Spar. There were a trio (at least) of teenage girls in the middle of the pedestrian island in the middle of the road facing me. We passed each other crossing the road going in opposite directions.

I'm not sure if the girl in question was part of this group or another group because there were quite a few groups of girls in the area heading towards the nightclub in the Westwood club.

Anyway I had crossed the Malahide road and was heading for Spar when I heard a scream. I turned around to see a car (which was heading towards town) braking after going through the lights outside and a teenage girl being flung off the car onto the road

I raced into Spar and yelled "call an ambulance, a girl's after being hit by a car'.

I then ran out to see a group of people gathered around the girl, one of her friends was jumping up and down, a bit hysterical, but no where near as hysterical as the driver of the car, who was sitting in front of the car with her head in her hands.

I crossed the road near to the scene of the accident. The police arrived within 5-10 minutes, followed by the fire bridage and shortly followed by an ambulance.

One of the girl's friends said that she (the girl) thought the pedestrian light was green and had run out onto the road. I later heard she had dropped her phone crossing the road and had run back to get it not realising that the traffic light had turned from red to green straight into the path of the car.

The driver's side of the windshield was cracked and dented from the impact.

The girl was conscious and seemed to be talking to the paramedics. She was fitted with a neckbrace and an oxygen mask put on her before she was loaded into the ambulance. A truck came and the car involved in the accident was loaded onto it.

I gave my details to the police and may be called to make a statement in the future.

When I left the police were still talking to the driver.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Witnessing an accident is always frightening. At least that driver stopped though, unlike the guy last weekend who hit two kids on Amiens Street and kept on going.

When I saw where you were talking about, I thought it was going to be the Spar side of the Malahide road junction as it is a nightmare for pedestrians to cross, but the girls had already cleared that bit by the sound of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I saw the news alert on breakingnews etc about a hit and run in clontarf, did you see the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There are some who would dispute if that area is Clontarf and call it Marino but that doesn't realy matter.

Sounds like the pedestrians fault so. Hope the girl is ok and the driver is compensated if it wasn't their fault.

I think there are traffic cameras in the area so they might be used here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

spurious wrote:
    At least that driver stopped though, unlike the guy last weekend who hit two kids on Amiens Street and kept on going.

Exactly. The same thing on Edenmore Drive happened a couple of weeks back knocking over a 6 year old girl and breaking her leg(s). :( :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

micmclo wrote:
    Sounds like the pedestrians fault so. Hope the girl is ok and the driver is compensated if it wasn't their fault.

I don't think drivers get compensated in situations like this,its my understanding the pedestrians always have the right of way even if they do silly things like this.

But I could be wrong as I am no expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

micmclo wrote:
    the driver is compensated

Who would pay this compensation?:confused: Is it the pedestrian? (perhaps partly for for damaging the car with her body?) Her relatives? Or the council? Or the car manufacturer? The people who made the bloody traffic lights?
    Seems like everytime there is an accident now something is badly wrong with the world if no one can be immediately fingered to stump up some "compensation".:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

When I read the thread title I thought the OP had gotten the location wrong.

I was going down the local spar on Parnell Street/Cumberland Street last night, and there was a car stopped on Parnell Street, with a girl (I think) on the ground in front of a stopped car. There were Gardai standing around, and a girl kneeling down beside the girl on the ground.

I went into the shop, and when I came out, an ambulance was coming down Hill Street and turning on to the scene. Thing is though, there were no lights or sirens. That's bad isn't it?

I really hope they're both okay..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I saw the news alert on breakingnews etc about a hit and run in clontarf, did you see the car?

Definately wasn't a hit and run that I saw. The driver braked, the girl was thrown off, I ran to the shop for the ambulance, came back out and the driver was in hysterics in front of the car. From the state of her I definately think she's gonna need counselling, she was in a worse state that the girl's friends!

Advertisement