Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College clothes help!

• 16-09-2007 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Heya guys im starting college on wednesday and it only hit me the other day that it might be a good idea to buy some new clothes the only problem is i dont have a clue what to wear!!Like i went shopping yesterday and managed to get a pair of cream trousers and a blue jumper from penneys.Like i want to wear fashionable clothes but not overly so ,i just really dont know where to start!

Could anyone please suggest some basic wadrobe staples for me?Im going shopping tommrow so anyhelp would be much appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A/s/l?

Just wear whatever you like, tbh
    noone will notice that much
    Unless you're wearing short skirts in winter and looking cold, please don't do that

-speaking as a girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Im a girl ,17 years old 5ft6 and a size 12/14 if thats any help.i live in dublin too so have easy access to town ,dundrum and the square

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wear what you like and what you're comfortable in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

it's college, not a fashion show:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 amandakola

well seeing as nobody actually offered any advice apart from the unhelpful "wear anything", if you're looking for some good college staples id suggest a couple good pair of jeans (dont ask me what brand, i despise jeans shopping although i do quite like topshops jeans). maybe a pair of black skinny jeans, and then blue, looser comfy jeans. topshop also have in their 'jersey' section they best polo tshirts in the world. it's cheap, thy have it in a billion colours, it has a great shape (and keeps it... ive had a black one for well over a year and my friend has them in a couple colours too.. it's just a great tee!) so you should get a couple of those. cardigans are great for college too, i always think because you can mix them with different tees and vests and not feel like you're wearing the same thing every day, and they also stop you from freezing your ass off without having to carry a big jacket around all day, which pisses me off. h&m have some i want right now, as do urban outfitters. if you like to wear skirts/dresses then stock up on some nice tights so you can wear them on those cold/hairy leg days too, and it's always nice to get a new coat for goin back to college i think too! but when i was at college i pretty much bought plain things like that, cos i pretty much slept in every day and just liked to be able to throw any thing on. you can always pick up nice scarves/bits of jewellery and the like throughout the year to jazz things up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

A pair of Ugg boots would be good, with skinny jeans and maybe some long length t shirts.
    A good bag to carry books and notes, maybe a large leather shoulder bag, although I used a Jansport bag.
    Maybe a nice cropped jacket for when it gets colder.

I'd wait til you've been in college a week or two and see what the other girls are wearing. If you see something nice, then look for something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I know of people who wear pyjamas in to college. They live on campus and are giant faggots mind you. Anyway, you can wear anything you like at college. Anything at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Aything but uggs, those long tshirt things or skinny jeans.
    No short skirts either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

No short skirts either.

That's my whole wardrobe!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mine too!

Bitch ain't geetin' in on my style
    *clicks fingers*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

No short skirts either.

Ditch the Uggs and go for some nice ankle boots to wear with skinny jeans instead ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Ah not female unfortunately :D

So I would say wear nothing at all!! :D

But you are going to Maynooth arent you?

Ah one thing I would say to get is alot of hoddies & few umbrellas because Maynooth is a very cold & wet place (I think it get more rain then anywhere else:D). All the clubs(well disco bars) in Maynooth dont really care about dress code so you will get in with anything like a football jersey ect but most people dress up.

Most girls wear the O'Niells, a hoddie and unlike D4 girls they dont wear dubes. Also alot of them wear them Ugg boots (I just cant understand y tho)

Also you will be moving in between buildings (also remember north & south campus) and for some odd reason the footpaths take the longest way you can take and walking across the grass is a bad idea(my new white shoes were not so white after a walk in the grass) because of the rain. Like I was walking back to my on campus apartment from the Callan building by the time I was in the Arts Block I was soaked and the thing is the building are a 30 sec walk away from each other.

1 other note if you are getting the train the path from the station heading into the town (Maynooth not Dublin) is gravel so what I really saying is if you wear jeans/pants that come down over your shoes will result in you having wet pants from the knee down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

what ppl wear in college depends on the college. nuig for example seems quite fashionable compared to some ITs. just what me and my cousins have noticed. no idea why though. its really up to you. you see some girls totally change their look like a teeny bobber (top shop pink tops/oneils bottoms and uggs) i knew in secondary school suddenly became little miss rock star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Pythia wrote:
    A pair of Ugg boots would be good, with skinny jeans and maybe some long length t shirts.
    I like you Pythia but you're being naughty. Ugg boots are INDOOR SHOES. If I see you outdoors wearing ugg boots you had better hope I do not have liquid in my hands :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

In college I tend to live in jeans and pumps.I have all the pumps in Penneys in all the different colours.
    For tops, I really would wait to see what the college is like, for instance our college is always really warm so usually a plain tshirt and a light cardie are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Novelty/college hoodies and jeans ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

If you're going to Maynooth, I just graduated from there, and can tell you it is the wettest muckiest place in the world!!! A good pair of CAT boots wouldn't go amiss. Converse are the worst, your feet will get soaked. I always wore hoodies and jeans too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Not to hijack this thread but on the male side of things, Dubes, white Nikes and what I like to refer to as hamburgler t-shirt/tops are all the rage in UCD apparently or so my dad joked the other night (he was on the no. 10 bus).

In his words "you'll have to get yourself some trendy w*nker gear for college."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Who cares what you wear, if you think that you have to impress everyone new withg your clothes i feel sorry for you. the change in clothes isn't as big in the school -> college lepa as it is from the college -> office leap.

When the weather is bad in Galway (every second day :p) i always see girls wearing skimpy crap when every guy is wearing a big heavy jumper and a coat, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

GDM wrote:
    In his words "you'll have to get yourself some trendy w*nker gear for college."

I laughed out loud at that. I have obviously become an aul fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

um dont really know what to say but thanks guys for all the um advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

I can only give advice based on Maynooth, but here goes. Boots. For your own sake, a pair of waterproof boots. CATs, even those girly wellies if you want to be trendy, but you're going to be miserable if you have wet feet.

After that, wear whatever you feel like. Most people wear jeans and hoodies or jumpers to class, and then a jacket or coat if it's cold, but I've seen people wear mad long hippy skirts, shawls, the weirdest things...

To be honest, lots of people just throw on the first clean thing they see. You've got nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I think too many people are putting down the majority of people's "wear what you feel like" point. It's completely true. Colleges are big enough places that everyone fits in, if you're trying to dress uber trendy and your hearts not in it then what's the point?
    Certain colleges have certain styles that prevail... I've found Trinity to be very stylish and semi-formal/smart at times (to the point where people no longer look interestingly differant), whereas DIT is generally a load of middle of the road type styles, tracksuits, jeans, runners, with the occasional idiot wearing short skirts etc in winter.

As a rule of thumb IMHO : Don't look like you're trying too hard.
    You'll be going out partying so much in college that you'll have plenty of oppurtunities to get glammed up and shine.

I personally find nothing more pointless then high heels in college, people occasionally wore them in TCD and with those cobblestones they're obviously willing to get injured for their fashion. I tend to dismiss such people without much thought.

Some nice accessories (sp?) are great as conversation starters though, and set one jeans and hoodie wearer apart from the rest :)

You'll find girls will try harder to look trendy around college and most in doing so make themselves stand out for the wrong reasons (as was pointed out to me yesterday).
    Wear whatever the hell you feel comfortable in, if you like it you cares what anyone else thinks.

Fella's can and do wear pretty much anything and nobody cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

No short skirts either.

long t-shirts and skinny jeans = hawt!:D

As long as you can work the skinny jeans... there was a girl in my class once upon a time who insisted on wearing skinny jeans. She wasn't overweight, but her body type really didn't lend itself to such a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

not when every single one of them says "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX"

who the fudge is frankie?

Cremo wrote:

Call me crazy, but I think it's a reference to the "relax don't do it" song :|

• Advertisement

I'm Frankie.

Do they all wear that t-shirt? I've only seen one or two of them. A more entertaining way to pass the day is to see what ultra cool bands they have on their ipods. Bless. They probably don't even know who Frankie Goes To Hollywood were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Bex81

Just go for jeans. If Maynooth is that wet, get a good pair of soft, flat(ish) leather boots that you can walk in comfortably and keep your feet dry. Dependin on how cold the lecture halls etc it may be wise to invest in some cool hoodies and nice cardies.

Cremo wrote:

Seen lodsa those tees in Urban Outfitters in America.Neon Yellow for the win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I've been noticing those stupid tees all over college so far this year! They all say either 'Frankie says Relax' or 'Don't be jealous'.

My college outfits are limited to whatever is closest to my bed, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Nude is the new black.

What's the verdict on novelty t-shirts? I saw one yesterday that said "I have the body of a God, shame it's Buddha".

• Advertisement

Novelty t-shirts... for those people who need a t-shirt to make them seem fun and witty. Generally avoid unless it actually means something to you me thinks.

Novelty t-shirts... for those people who need a t-shirt to make them seem fun and witty. Generally avoid unless it actually means something to you me thinks.

I was thinking of getting one or two of these (I'll post the links and not the pics just to be safe).
    http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a812/a812_thumb.jpg
    http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a559/a559_thumb.jpg
    http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a546/a546_thumb.jpg
    http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a329/a329_thumb.jpg

GDM wrote:
    What's the verdict on novelty t-shirts? I saw one yesterday that said "I have the body of a God, shame it's Buddha".

Buddha is not a god, and the chinese laughing buddha isn't the buddha... :confused:
    Novelty tshirts are ok, as long as they make sense...

Advertisement