Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Big Difference with Auto/Manual fuel wise?

Options
  • 16-09-2007 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭

After getting an Accord (Manual) for a day/night from a dealer to test driver I liked the car,only hitch was the centre arm rest kept hitting off my elbow when changing gears. I was wondering does an Auto use more petrol than manual drive? They have Accords which have auto but you can switch to triptronic on the gear stick....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Old rule of thumb was that autos do about 10% less MPG.

Modern autoboxes are probably a bit better.

Can you not just fold up the arm-rest on the manual Accord? Maybe only use it for motorway-type driving?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

mad m wrote:
    After getting an Accord (Manual) for a day/night from a dealer to test driver I liked the car,only hitch was the centre arm rest kept hitting off my elbow when changing gears. I was wondering does an Auto use more petrol than manual drive? They have Accords which have auto but you can switch to triptronic on the gear stick....

i have an accord auto, and went from manual diesel to auto petrol.

the accord auto has a sequential auto box and is five speed, it has tiptronic too. it is a great car to drive in auto.. put it this way, with my accord auto, 2.0 i am getting somewhere the same MPG as someone driving a new corolla 1.4 petrol!! manual :D

my car does on average over the full tank of fuel between 31-35 mpg..

on an average motorway spin of 24 miles i get 7.0L / 100 KM (40mpg).

my car is the s type with sports suspension, larger wheels, etc and the book figures give my car lower mpg than the standard accord.

the auto box is more relaxing drive.. in terms of fuel, it is not bad at all..
    i dont notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I doubt if an Autobox will ever be more economical than a person who drives a manual sedately. They are more complicated, and despite advances, still have a greater power absorption than a simple direct drive manual gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The VAG DSG autobox is supposed* to achieve a marginal increase in MPG over a the manual - when driven normally at least. Its also quicker too.

* according to their own website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

With a torque convertor locked at motorway speeds it should be the same as a manual.
    latest CVTs and Merc's new 7 speed should be more economical than a manual.
    7 speeds in a Auto box is about optimum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Some of the new BMWs with their efficient Dynamics Technology are more economical with the Slushbox(according to the EU mpg tests).

To answer the OPs question, it depends on the car, the driver, the type of driving being done to it, the way its driven.

But usually Autos are a small bit less efficient than a Manual. Most new cars have a marginal mpg penalty for using an Auto, before Automatics had a heavier mpg penalty than they do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

With city driving a manual will be a little better. On the open road, an auto will be more or less the same as a manual. Autos 'slip' due to the torque convertor, which usually results in higher l/100km. Tiptronic or not, an auto will usually be heavier than a manual.

Also bear in mind that autos are harder on brake pads due to less engine braking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

The VAG DSG autobox is supposed* to achieve a marginal increase in MPG over a the manual - when driven normally at least. Its also quicker too.

* according to their own website

The DSG is semi-automatic and nothing like a torque convertor auto gearbox. It's a manual gearbox with a computer controlled clutch, or clutches (it has two - allowing very quick shifts up or down). This result is a lighter (weighing not much more than a manual) and more efficient gearbox. Toyota's MMT and others are similiar though few other than DSG have the advantage of dual clutches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've driven a few VAG DSG and never paid much attention to l/100km, but from a performance point of view they are excellent - so responsive in 'manual' mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What most people said. I'd expect a new auto Honda Accord to use about 5% more petrol than the equivalent manual for an average drive / driver

• Advertisement
Advertisement