Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiste - Global Warming/Climate Change

Options
  • 16-09-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I got thrown in at the deep end this week big time. We got a new Irish teacher who gave us a 600 word essay on climate change due for Monday. We tried to tell him we had never done an essay on it before and had no notes or anything to refer to but he took them as excuses.

I tried skoool.ie but there was nothing, my Irish book was useless.. Are there any other websites with phrases or whatever? I'm really stuck, i'd be lucky to get one page written at this stage.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I got a government information leaflet about environment issues, which I believe included climate change the other day. It was both in english and irish which was handy enough. Then I lost it.

Phrases.. well you could use your dictionary to translate terms. You could probably stick together an essay using simple enough language anyway. "There are too many cars on the roads." "Too many forests are being cut down.." and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 anything goes

One of the revision books (I think it's shortcuts to sucess, not sure though) is really good for phrases for the aiste. There's some great general ones that if you learn off you can apply to practically any aiste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I always felt when reading Irish essays with a load of general phrases and idioms in them that they seemed realy contrived and devoid of substance.

Approach the essay like you'd approach an English essay and use your dictionary to find words you don't know. If a phrase you know happens to fit in a certain place, use it, otherwise don't be cramming all these phrases into essays.

Course, that said, depending on the corrector, you could be greatly rewarded or penalised for overusing general phrases.

In any case, just make some good points without waffling and don't make silly grammatical errors and you should get a B at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

600 words is what's expected of you in HL LC. What I always found helped me was writing up a plan first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Do a brainstorm. Actually, that topic came up on this year's Irish paper, so don't kill yourself writing it. Things to talk about would be ice melting, sea temperatures rising emm An Inconvenient Truth and large factories. Pad it out, one topic per paragraph. 600 words is nothing, you'll find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement