Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Options (RDS)

Options
  • 16-09-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

So the Higher Options is on this week in the RDS.

Are all schools going to it? What day?

When you go will you stick out the day and go to the different lectures or will you skive off at an opportunity for a half day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My school's going on thursday. I imagine I'll go to anything interesting, but after that, day off school. : D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Coco88

my schools going thursday as well . we should be there around 3pm and for the rest of the day yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The lecture was pretty useless. Just grab prospectuses, but not too many obviously, they're so heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

It's really bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I went there last year and I found it pretty good. Make sure to take info bout anything you find remotely interesting and ask loads of questions. Also, the killer for me was that I arrived ONE minute late for the UCAS lecture and they wouldn't let me in. They closed the doors and wouldn't be convinced to open them. Just remember this, cos I really wanted to attend the UCAS lecture. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

screw the lectures and prospectuses!!!

it's all about the free pens!! :):)

then again i still dont know what i want to do and went last year so you might wanna pay some attention

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

^ Yes! And the skoool stand gives away 3-colour highlighters. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya our 6th year college councelor told us about it but since were in Limerick he wouldn't bother getting a buis to go to dublin
    so out of a year of 120 only 10 are going (myself included)
    getting the train to heuston early on thursday morning
    no teacher or nothing should be a great day

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Mine's headin' in thursday too. Get in 'round 9:30, visit four or five stands, maybe a lecture or two then off for a pint in Bruxies. Sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

The high points of this last year were definitely the stress ball from American College Dublin, and the yoyo from UCD. The rest was crap. It was only useful for finding out the dates of the open days without having to bother to go online etc....yes I'm that lazy. Also I fould out about the maths/physics departments' open day in TCD. I couldn't find that anywhere else.Lucky I went I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

im going with my friend as weve the day off school..

free pens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

lemansky wrote:
    The high points of this last year were definitely the stress ball from American College Dublin, and the yoyo from UCD. The rest was crap. It was only useful for finding out the dates of the open days without having to bother to go online etc....yes I'm that lazy. Also I fould out about the maths/physics departments' open day in TCD. I couldn't find that anywhere else.Lucky I went I suppose.

And then you go and do science in maynooth- *tear*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭alan_simon

Does any one know if they have tickets at the door? just my school is pretty small and havent organised any thing, but i wouldn't mind going to it. I know they sell tickets (8 euro a pop i think) but would they actually have any at the door on the day? I can go any day this week, so if one day is notoriously empty i'd love to know

cheers, alan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I believe the official line is that you have to prebook, but I'd say they'll have tickets at the door. You're giving them money, why woudln't they. : p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

only 8 or so of us going with no teacher so ours career's adivsor gave a teacher slip to one of us to buy tickets for people who don't have them
    not sure exactly how its going to work but I don't have a ticket so i'm just hoping they can get it, either that or go to some pub and with one of my mates and wait till the 8pm train back to limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Xhristy wrote:

About the only upside tbh:(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

dan719 wrote:
    And then you go and do science in maynooth- *tear*

You have to be strong at times like this:D

In retrospect, cycling to the RDS and back was a terrible, terrible idea.

That or the picking up of 10 prospectuses.

At least I'm now thoroughly confused about what I want to do in college, so I guess it did its job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Did anyone notice if you could buy tickets at the door?

Thinking of heading in tomorrow for a day off school...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

i was there today (thursday)
    i think skoool were a bit silly.

i mean free pens and sticky notes was asking for trouble.
    i did find the amount of newspapers on the ground around ucd and dcu a bit funny though.

got my info and was done at 11. wasnt going till 1pm so i sat in talks with my mates for a while.

i didnt know what to do in collage, after today i think i might do the commerce thing in ucd (455)

not really a free pen day. i save the ploughing for my pen hunting.(they normally have other cool stuff too)

anyone else think those plastic irish times bags cut the hands off you? mine hands are killing me after carrying that ting around all day

I just put the prospectuses in my schoolbag and kept the smaller leaflets in the plastic bag.

We had to be there at 10 so I was done really quickly.. almost went to the Science/IT lecture but it looked to be about Pharmacy and stuff so left before it started. Was meant to wait until 2 for the Art/Design/Photography one but I wasn't gonna wait around for two hours doing nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

i was there for the science talk and yeah she made it into a pharmacy talk.
    didn't bother me though. sat at the back with my mate not like i had anything better to be doing though.

the hospitality talk was the most entertaining i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

In and out in 40 minutes, 4 prospectus and to my absolute despair - NO FREE PENS. :mad: I didn't see the skoool stand I guess.
    I did see the army though. *swoons* :D

The nautical people (not army) were giving out free 4-coloured pens. I got an Athlone IT pen as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Got myself a skoool.ie pen, notepad and three-way highlighter! CAO pen and a qualifax ruler.

Good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

i was there for the science talk and yeah she made it into a pharmacy talk.
    didn't bother me though. sat at the back with my mate not like i had anything better to be doing though.

Science Talk
    "Does anyone know how to make alcohol?" *cough* My girlfriend: "Fermentation" *dirty looks in our direction....*
    I thought the talk was quite boring, and I noticed the doors were closed....

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Got myself a skoool.ie pen, notepad and three-way highlighter! CAO pen and a qualifax ruler.

Good day.

3 way highlighter is useless!! Although the notepad kicks ass...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

BULLER wrote:
    3 way highlighter is useless!! Although the notepad kicks ass...
    There were notepads as well?! I guess I should have stuck around a bit longer...

Advertisement