Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken Key - Can't get in.

Options
  • 16-09-2007 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

The 'unlock' botten on the key to my Mother's 03 Nissan Micra has stopped working - I presume it is out of battery. The problem is, I borrowed it to drop up to my brother's and am now locked out. Is there anything I can do to get in, or am I screwed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

use the key in the door!!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

anto-t wrote:
    use the key in the door!!!!

What a brillliant idea, well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

XJR wrote:
    What a brillliant idea, well done !
    kids these days huh!! prob wouldent even know how to turn on the tv with out a remote...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Is this guy for real??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Yeah good one folks, anyway it seems the immobiliser isn't working properly. I got in fine ;) but the car keeps making a clicking sound - like a relay switching repeatedly. Anyway when I turn the key nothing happens. Any more ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like the starter is faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Is it making the clicking sound when you turn the starter ? Is the sound loud ?
    If so it could be the battery is low .(or starter is faulty as above or (unlikely) engine seized))

What happens in the solenoid ( does 2 jobs, engages the starter motor with the engine and acts as a relay for the motor itself) closes when you turn the key ( you dont normally hear it cos of noise of starter) , then the starter motor activates , but the battery hasn't enough juice to turn the motor
    The voltage falls below whats needed to hold the solenoid in , so the solenoid relaxs , disconnecting the starter motor.
    Now with no real load on the battery the voltage rises again and the solenoid closes once again , starting the whole thing all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Hmmmm, I think that could be it. I'll see if anyone's got jump leads. BTW, I don't know much about cars, and it was one of those concealed heyholes. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Make sure you connect the jump leads the prioper way and not the incorrect way in which most people do it.
    Check your manual or use this:
    1. connect the red/+ lead from the good car to the same on the dead car.
    2. connect the black/- of the good car to the engine block of the sick car.
    3. start the good car, then start the dead car
    4. once everything sounds ok, disconnect in the reverse order from above.
    5. take sick car for a good 30min drive and leave non essential electrics off (radio, fan, demister, etc.)

Connect them properly as doing it the wrong way can fry the ECU!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does the immobleiser not turn off with the central locking? ie open with the key in the door and your just in but the immob is still armed? i mean if you had an alarm on it it wouldnt disarm just because you turn the key in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the 'clicking' noise happens while the key is turned to the start position, then it's a flat car battery. Jump start the car and you'll be ok. A faulty immobiliser won't cause a clicking noise.

Advertisement