Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target scopes

Options
  • 16-09-2007 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I have a .22lr rifle with a hunting scope. How much would I have to save up if I wanted a scope that is suitable for target shooting? I wouldn't be going for something that is top of the range just one that's fairly decent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

tuxy wrote:
    Hey, I have a .22lr rifle with a hunting scope. How much would I have to save up if I wanted a scope that is suitable for target shooting? I wouldn't be going for something that is top of the range just one that's fairly decent.

What you got, it might do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I forget the name will check it later and get back to you. It dosn't have the clarity to see where exactly I am placing the bullets from 50 metres away. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 NUTTA1

I am in the same boat at the moment! I have a different rifle but at my range last week I got some good advise.

When buying a scope spend as much as u can and u will have it for life !

Get the correct scope magnifications for its intended purpose I know a fella with a great big gun shooting from two hundred and can hardly see the target board let alone the hole.

I was told that swift are just as good as the thousand euro scopes but only half the price !

I wonder if anyone here has come across/used them and what do they think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

go stateside if you know anyone going there or coming back. great prices.
    www.eriflescopes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

tuxy wrote:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-iii-riflescopes/vx-iii-6-5-20x40mm-efr-target/

This is a great scope for a rimfire rifle and for some one wanting to hunt and do a bit of target shooting.

The lower magnification is important for hunting and the higher magnification combined with target knobs do the job when shooting targets.

If you feel the scope is too big for your rifle, then you can go for a 3-9x33 Rimfire scpe from Leupold, however no target knobs but the biggest advantage the adjustable objective.

If you look at www.midsouthshooterssupply.com they are about the best value you can get, Premier Recticle however will provide a customised Leupold at a reasonable price, for example if the 2.5-20 x 40 is too big, then Premier will add target knobs to the rimfire scope and change the recticle if you prefer a dot instead of Duplex.

One final thing to consider, what rifle do you use for hunting? This would really be important because there is no point in putting a Ferrari engine in a Skoda.

If your rifle will not measure up to the performance of a target scope then this is no point in spending too much money.

Swift/Tasco would be the better choice, some of Tasco scopes have the same target knobs and ajustable objectives but 1/4 the price of a Leupold.

Value for money and not having to spend more than 500 Euro, Leupold can't be beat.

• Advertisement

NUTTA1 wrote:
    I am in the same boat at the moment! I have a different rifle but at my range last week I got some good advise.

When buying a scope spend as much as u can and u will have it for life !

Get the correct scope magnifications for its intended purpose I know a fella with a great big gun shooting from two hundred and can hardly see the target board let alone the hole.

I was told that swift are just as good as the thousand euro scopes but only half the price !

I wonder if anyone here has come across/used them and what do they think ?

Swift, rubbish ! my opinion and a load of my mates will testify to same !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks DJKH that's the kind of info I was looking for.
    Btw my rifle is a CZ 452 - 2E, I think this is a fairly decent rifle that would just need a better scope for target shooting. Am I right?

tuxy wrote:
    Btw my rifle is a CZ 452 - 2E, I think this is a fairly decent rifle that would just need a better scope for target shooting. Am I right?

nothing wrong with CZ's

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

tuxy wrote:

In or around 1993 Tim Inman from South Africa won the NRA National Silhouette Championships with a CZ that had fired at least 200,000 rounds, nothing wrong with it, a Leupold would do well on it, best you can afford is the motto.

Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

clarity shouldn't be an isuue at .22lr ranges really,what sort of magnification has it got?
    Bryan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

I have a burris Signature Select 6-24x44 for sale

Advertisement