Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure if im gay? how do i knw?

Options
  • 16-09-2007 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why do you think you might be gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

If you get a boner when you kiss a guy, or if you watch two guys getting it on and get a boner, then there is a fair chance.

Going back some years, I described myself as being far more interested in Justin Timberlake than Britney.

TBH, if you are asking this question, there must be a possibility, based on my and other friends experience - i.e. you don't ask if you are gay unless you are. But others may have a more conservative opinion on this.

Try this site http://www.gayswitchboard.ie where you can ring their switchboard and talk to someone completely confidentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Oh sweet jesus what a load of crap. Most people will question their sexuality at some stage in their life. If you've never taken a good hard look at it, then how do you know what you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Boston wrote:
    Oh sweet jesus what a load of crap. Most people will question their sexuality at some stage in their life. If you've never taken a good hard look at it, then how do you know what you are?

Do you think?

Ive heard this said, but there was never any doubt with me. Girls gave boners but wreck my head

Guys are.. well better friends, bont do nothin for me in the boner department..

Ive never been curious.

But yes i have heard at a certain age teens do sometimes get confused..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

snyper wrote:
    Do you think?

Ive heard this said, but there was never any doubt with me. Girls gave boners but wreck my head

Ive never been curious.

I'd rather hump a good lookin' guy that an ugly woman anyday.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote:
    Do you think?

Ive never been curious.

The fact that you've sat back and thought about how you feel sexually towards both genders is exactly what I mean by questioning. Most males will, at some point, sit down and question exactly how they feel towards other males. I can't really comment on women.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Justomad, I felt I had to help you out on this one.
    If you have gay thoughts in your head, it definitely does not mean 100% that you could be gay. I think its normal for a fella to be curious about the opposite sex, sure you may like both and be Bi but you could also be going through an experimental phase like I did.

Honestly, I thought I was gay at one time myself. I was young, I was curious, I tried things out with men. It was fine however I could never see myself in a longterm relationship with a men. For me, I knew I wasnt gay but I needed to try it out to make sure. Some people may think I'm contradicting myself but whatever. Listen just do whats in your heart, if you do turn out to be gay then good luck but be wise around men as they only want one thing, as its probably what you want also, but thats none of my business.

Ask yourself, when your walking down the street, are you looking at womens breasts or mens ass's or their big arms. Do it as a self test, the ones your look at more is more than likely who you lean to.

Also ask yourself, do you ever want to have children, or do you want a life on the 'scene' until your 45 years old or whatever. Theres alot of soul searching you need to do. I just wish someone had of been there to give me advice when I was 15 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

trevorku wrote: »
    Justomad, I felt I had to help you out on this one.
    If you have gay thoughts in your head, it definitely does not mean 100% that you could be gay. I think its normal for a fella to be curious about the opposite sex, sure you may like both and be Bi but you could also be going through an experimental phase like I did.

Honestly, I thought I was gay at one time myself. I was young, I was curious, I tried things out with men. It was fine however I could never see myself in a longterm relationship with a men. For me, I knew I wasnt gay but I needed to try it out to make sure. Some people may think I'm contradicting myself but whatever. Listen just do whats in your heart, if you do turn out to be gay then good luck but be wise around men as they only want one thing, as its probably what you want also, but thats none of my business.

Ask yourself, when your walking down the street, are you looking at womens breasts or mens ass's or their big arms. Do it as a self test, the ones your look at more is more than likely who you lean to.

Also ask yourself, do you ever want to have children, or do you want a life on the 'scene' until your 45 years old or whatever. Theres alot of soul searching you need to do. I just wish someone had of been there to give me advice when I was 15 :(

Wow what a negative image you have of gay men!!
    Sounds like your soul searching didn't search deep enough into the good aspects of gay life, I feel pity for you.

Yes, its not like I spent 24 years trying to come to terms with it not to mention numerous other issues which made it even more difficult for me... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

Also ask yourself, do you ever want to have children, or do you want a life on the 'scene' until your 45 years old or whatever.

These are NOT the only options. I don't go on the scene and I'm gay. The scene is NOT the be all and end all of gay life, and I know plenty of healthy, happy people who either don't or rarely go out on the scene at all.

Also, being gay, bi or whatever does not preclude you from having children. You are what you are. There is so much more to life than the bloody scene. Being gay is not about sex and drinking, it is about being yourself.

That comment really pissed me off. You may as well have said "Do you want to be normal or do you want to be a whore?" I mean, really!

• Advertisement

markw999 wrote: »
    These are NOT the only options. I don't go on the scene and I'm gay. The scene is NOT the be all and end all of gay life, and I know plenty of healthy, happy people who either don't or rarely go out on the scene at all.

Also, being gay, bi or whatever does not preclude you from having children. You are what you are. There is so much more to life than the bloody scene. Being gay is not about sex and drinking, it is about being yourself.

That comment really pissed me off. You may as well have said "Do you want to be normal or do you want to be a whore?" I mean, really!

Hear hear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Well said.

Exactly. If being gay/bi meant to scene, then the Dublin scene would be 10 times the size it is. I never go to gay bars as the majority are just not fun.

I'm not going to bother getting into some petty argument for all those people who want 'drama' which I expected. I only posted for the eyes of the young lad who started the thread, I just hope he makes the right choice.

P.S. Its ridiculous to snare at one person for their opinion, its a forum where people are supposed to be able to express free opinions, and not be hackled by people whom dont agree with one persons view, each to their own guys.

its a discussion forum, if you put forward an opinion people are entitled to challenge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

The hubby said he has a friend who actually decided to be gay, one day he announced in the pub, I can't get a woman so Im turning gay. He has been gay ever since so maybe you should make up your mind too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

The hubby said he has a friend who actually decided to be gay, one day he announced in the pub, I can't get a woman so Im turning gay. He has been gay ever since so maybe you should make up your mind too

Your hubby sounds like the quintessential village idiot, no offence intended...never mind what he heard the guy 'supposedly' say...where's the fcuking Pub? Sounds like a tavern straight out of a Flann O'Brien novel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

they were playing a football match in portlaoise, he stood up in front of everyone and announced his intentions, and fair dues to him he never looked back, or looked at women for that matter since hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

well then perhaps he was just never that interested in the first place...i mean come on! u dont just wake up one day and magically ur gay!! that just doesnt happen!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You don't just decide to be gay. That implies a decision, which it is not. He could decide to pursue men but it would not make him gay or change the fundamental wired attraction to the same/opposite sex that we have.
    You can't decide to be gay, only to act towards a gay life style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 InOffice

Judomad wrote: »

I say have sex first, ask questions later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

InOffice wrote: »
    I say have sex first, ask questions later.

rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Judomad wrote: »

Do you find men attractive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Do you think that c unts are gross and c.ocks are great?
    Do you fancy men?

Jesus it isn't rocket science.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

Do you think that c unts are gross and c.ocks are great?
    Do you fancy men?

Jesus it isn't rocket science.

MM

give him a break,he is confused.he wants advice and help not critisism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 teemm

LOL, That's a good one. It may well be true but of course you can't decide to be gay so he obviously was gay all along and used a slightly odd way of coming out to his friends. He may well have been suppressing it for years but finally surrendered to the inevitable. At least he didn't get married and then realise he had made a big mistake. Far too many gay men get married.

As for you Judomad, perhaps if you explained why you are not sure. Maybe someone can help better instead of being facetious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Just asking that question: Am I gay.. means you're gay. Enjoy the ride.

ateam wrote: »
    Just asking that question: Am I gay.. means you're gay. Enjoy the ride.

You're obviously looking for someone to call you a heterosexual. How can you know what you are if you've never asked yourself the tough questions? Most people will question there sexuality at some point in there life, it doesn't mean their gay, if it did homosexuals would be in the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Boston wrote: »
    You're obviously looking for someone to call you a heterosexual. How can you know what you are if you've never asked yourself the tough questions? Most people will question there sexuality at some point in there life, it doesn't mean their gay, if it did homosexuals would be in the majority.

Na it's petty simple when ya think about it. If your gay it comes natural like if your straight. Just certain areas of society and certain people make it more complicated than it should be. I never questioned if I was straight.

ateam wrote: »
    Na it's petty simple when ya think about it.

Who do you think has thought about it more, me or you?
    If your gay it comes natural like if your straight. Just certain areas of society and certain people make it more complicated than it should be. I never questioned if I was straight.

Sexuality doesn't come naturally (as in easily) to a lot of people. I know many who wrestle will heterosexual issues in the same way I know many who find it difficult to come to terms with homosexuality. You may have never questions your sexuality but more then likely means you're just too young to have fully grasped it.

Its odd for me when I encounter people like yourself with such a closed mindset, that your experience with your own sexuality reflects in anyway what others experience is extremely arrogant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement