Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing motherboard

Options
  • 16-09-2007 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

my motherboard has gone kaput andi was wondering if this one would work the same and take all the gear inside my old one as i dont want to go the major upgrade route just yet!
    thanks lads or lasses!
    Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah that should work however even though it is the same chipset you might end up having to re-install windows XP.

If you want to try and avoid that here are a few tips;
    * Backup all your data first
    * Uninstall all drivers that you can (graphics, chipset audio anything)
    * Make sure the NVIDIA chipset drivers are uninstalled particularly the SATA/IDE drivers & that they are seen as standard dual channel IDE controllers

Now power off and install the motherboard then cross your fingers, if all goes well it should be an easy switch and then reinstall drivers for various devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

i was gonna do a full install of windows anyway, i have a seprate drive for the os! :D

quick follow up question... will this chip work on this board? itl be a bit of an upgrade anyway! :)

thanks,
    Richie

Yeah that will work no problem.

just seen this and am intregued... would this work ar is it 2 processors? iom not 100% sure!
    thanks yet again!

Yes that will also work though you will want to update the bios first before installing the CPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

banbutcher wrote:
    just seen this and am intregued... would this work ar is it 2 processors? iom not 100% sure!
    thanks yet again!
    /pimp

I'm actually just about to put an amd 4200 x2 (with a large HSF) and an abit an8 32x up for sale if you are interested

RuggieBear wrote:
    /pimp

I'm actually just about to put an amd 4200 x2 (with a large HSF) and an abit an8 32x up for sale if you are interested
    ive already got the motheroard, but i might get back to ya on the processor! cheers ruggie!

8T8: if i got tha chip, how do i update the bios without installing the chip first? do i use my old one first?

sorry for all the questions!, thanks

banbutcher wrote:
    ive already got the motheroard, but i might get back to ya on the processor! cheers ruggie!

8T8: if i got tha chip, how do i update the bios without installing the chip first? do i use my old one first?

sorry for all the questions!, thanks

Yes update the bios with the old CPU in it then swap out the old CPU for the new one.

That said the motherboard should still work or may already have the Athlon 64 X2 CPU ID in it so it may be for nothing but better safe then sorry finding out you have to swap CPU's just to flash the bios.

alright this will be hopefuly be one of my last questions... will this cpu work in this motherboard! or if not what would be the best chip to put in it??
    thanks again folks,
    Richie

Advertisement