Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic bin, ufh and fermentation

Options
  • 16-09-2007 4:00pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    We have a plastic bin in our utility room for our domestic waste, only 2 in the house so it takes a week maybe 2 to fill a black bag.
    We have UFH, now the problem we have is that even after 2 days there is a stinker of a smell, because the UFH is heating the bin and fermenting the food in the bin.
    we don';t want to have to empty the bin every 2 days.

IS there are heat reflector something I could place in the bottom of the bins to stop the heat.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Use a bin liner if you don't already and get a can of febreze. The other thing you could try is one of those dishwasher thinghys that get rid of odours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sit the bin on something non conductive:confused: ,small slab ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Using bin bags already. Have a smelly thing on the wall behind it, just really wondering if someone cud suggest a heat deflector solution or something.

I may have to raise the bin but this is a pain in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You could get a tile ,glue four stones onto bottom ,each corner.
    Sit the bin on it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maybe get a greencone composter and use that for the food scraps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

CJhaughey wrote:
    Maybe get a greencone composter and use that for the food scraps?
    ^ Best idea by a long shot. No point in hiding the smell with a fragrance, it's still going to be there.
    After that, look at raising the bin like previously suggested and use some of that thermal foil (for behind radiators) to reflect some of the heat away from under the tile.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The thermal foil jobbie could do the trick, I must just build a cabinet for it to raise it and close it off altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Maybe a lump of polystyrene too?

That too, I suppose I just need a barrier of some sort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

Build a platform / box to put it on (same size as a tile ?) say 4" high

Tile it for hygine purposes ? but stuff the interior of the platform with rockwool before putting the base on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Might be more convenient to put the riser on the base of the bin or even inside the bin. i'd say the important thing is to provide a ventilation gap (to convect away as much heat as possible and to avoid conduction) and some sort of insulation to stop radiant heat.

Advertisement