Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books?

Options
  • 16-09-2007 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Hey, does anyone know if we require books for every subject?
    I presume that if I need them, can they be obtained easily from the Library?
    For example, do I need books for DT211/1 C programming, Networking etc, or does the lecture notes suffice?
    Are the lecture notes just supplements?
    Bit confused here, please help:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Lecturers will let you know if you need a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I've only ever owned two books for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Imho don't buy any books unless you think you are struggling in a subject. Even then, the library has most if not all of the lecturer recommended books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Check the amount of copies of the book in the library. I know people who went through the whole year using library books... but that also meant the books were in short supply for everyone else in the class.

Also maybe look at books and see whether they're good referance material or not. If it's a novel or something that you'll only read maybe twice and then never need it again in your career, then don't get it, but if it's a German grammar book that you might always have to refer to, then maybe pick that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

what the hell is a book ?

...............oh right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book

thank god for wikipedia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

...try using wikipedia as a reference in college and you'll get laughed out of the place.

I learnt that from wikipedia :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 neal1234

if ur gonna buy books id defo go second hand- new books cost too much... check out the boards round colleges to find any books

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

i have never been expected to buy any books. i am in final year and have bought two books so far, one which like yourself i thought i had to buy and bought it in a rush and the second was a book that the lecturer literally took all his notes from so it would be stupid not to. basically from my experience you can obtain all you want from the library

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andrewjdoyle

Books, aren't they in the library?

Seriously though, Frankiestylee is right. Some books are worth owning, and some you'll only need to read once.

Should the Students' Union orgainse a second hand book shop? Or maybe just organise a stall. Just pick a day and publicise it, and let people meet up and buy/sell/swap books. There seems to be a lot of people looking for something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 K8T.21

Yeah defo hold out before buying books. Once you get into the course you'll know yourself if you could do with one or two. The library is pretty good though and if you take good notes in your lectures you'll be sorted.

However, if anyone does need books i have a few too sell!!! (yes when i was an innocent first year nobody told me i didnt need books!) I did DT021 if anyone needs books......

• Advertisement
Advertisement