Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diabetes, Mental Effects

• 16-09-2007 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure ive posted here before but i've been diagnosed Type 1 for maybe 18 months now, held off on visiting a doctor for a year or more previous to that, very slow onset.

Anyway, I've signed up for college again but have worries that i'm not going to be able to do any of the work.
    My memory is terrible, words in particular, i sometimes freeze up in conversation and cant get the words out; i know what i want to say but it just doesnt happen.
    My reading speed has dropped drastically, and i usually forget any details by the time i finish the page and have to start again.
    More worrying for me is my inability to figure things out, i get confused easily and then stressed out because of it.

Have the rest of you gone through this? Does it go away? Is there any permanent damage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not a doctor (though Dr Indy is a regular here).

I'm not aware of any linkage proven or otherwise between diabetes and mental function beyond the effects of having terrible control of ones suger levels (high sugers can cause rather fuzzy/tired thinking, while too low sugar levels can have detrimental effects with confusion and uncertainty).

How old are you?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Hows your mood been? Have you handled the diagnosis well or do you think it has been a struggle coping with insulin and regular blood checks every single day? It can be very hard when someone young has a disease that few other people seem to have and to also carry the label and worries of the possible later effects of diabetes - which is always a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Diabetes doesnt really bother me too much, once i got over the initial shock of giving up all the nice food.
    This dumbing down is worrying me though, i'm into the latter half of my twenties and while i'm not old my previous plans were screwed up (no diabetics allowed) so i need to get through this college course to get back on track.
    My sugar levels arent great, i want to get a pump but i've been told i shouldn't get one yet.
    Of course none of it really matters if there's permanent damage.

Advertisement