Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic theft

Options
  • 16-09-2007 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

My best mate just rang to tell me his brand new Honda Civic saloon was stolen from his drive last night.29,000 worth gone.Blue colour with a full leather interior.Best looking Civic to date in my opinion.North county Dublin area. Broke in through a downstairs window and took the keys which he left downstairs by accident after having a couple of pints.Pity he did'nt hear them as im sure things would of been different seeing as he's a semi pro kickboxer with a serious dislike for all things scummy!
    Im a believer in Karma and think nothing good will ever become of the little tramps and am sure they will all die screaming.
    Never fcuk with another mans automobile.
    :mad: :mad:
    It would be great if it turned up but alas:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Is he insured if its stolen with its keys?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He would be insured as it was the result of a burgulary and not neglignce.
    Incidentally he is probably better off having left the keys downstairs. Had they come upstairs they may have decided to wake him with a hammer or whatever!
    As its brand new the insurance will give him a brand new one of the same spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

kbannon wrote:
    He would be insured as it was the result of a burgulary and not neglignce.
    Incidentally he is probably better off having left the keys downstairs. Had they come upstairs they may have decided to wake him with a hammer or whatever!
    As its brand new the insurance will give him a brand new one of the same spec.
    I know there is a debate about bringing your keys to bed with you or leaving them out, but im in the camp of giving no quarter.I can understand people not wanting to put themselves at risk.Its only a car and all that.
    Glad to hear the insurance will give him what he deserves,although i'll believe it when i see it.Hope your right

Just to add another twist to the story,it's not the first time this has happened to him.Had another Honda stolen on him about a year ago under very similar circumstances.Bad luck or what ?
    Lightning does strike twice .:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

What a bunch of twats. Sincerely hope they die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Im told there is a clear difference in the law with respect to stealing keys from the house..
    • if the scummer steals keys from downstairs, it's burglary
    • If the scummer go upstairs in the house, it's automatically aggravated burglary and carries a much heavier sentence is found guilty..

many dumbass, repeat offenders know the difference between the two and are often reluctant to go upstairs to look for keys....

the pro's im sure would go upstairs or anywhere to get the required keys..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know there is a debate about bringing your keys to bed with you or leaving them out, but im in the camp of giving no quarter.I can understand people not wanting to put themselves at risk.Its only a car and all that.
    I used to be of that mindset also until neighbours of my inlaws went through this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/2834191.stm.
    His life is over!!!

Really sorry to read that about your friend.Hope there is something positive to come out of that situation.Its all too little too late im sure.
    Where's all this ever gonna end ?

People going around murdering each other for a fcukin car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Im told there is a clear difference in the law with respect to stealing keys from the house..
    • If the scummer go upstairs in the house, it's automatically aggravated burglary and carries a much heavier sentence is found guilty..

many dumbass, repeat offenders know the difference between the two and are often reluctant to go upstairs to look for keys....

the pro's im sure would go upstairs or anywhere to get the required keys..

I assume it would be the same in a single storey dwelling if it was taken from the bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Pure scum :(

Was it the 1.8 petrol or the hybrid?

A good point indeed, I must find out.. my best mate is a Garda and deals with this stuff all the time.
    Jumpy wrote:
    I assume it would be the same in a single storey dwelling if it was taken from the bedroom?

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote:
    Pure scum :(

Was it the 1.8 petrol or the hybrid?

1.8 petrol.Really nice car.Such a shame.No sign of it yet.
    He paid almost 2k for a really nice looking leather interior.
    Im hurtin and it's not even mine:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Bástards,shame he didn't hear them. He could've gone all Chuck Norris on the scumbags.

Any chance of a picture(not your friends of course) of the exact model and a reg no. It could be sitting up outside apartments etc with the original plates still on it. Long shot I know but the more people you have keeping an eye out...etc...etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Scum, pure and simple. Makes my blood boil. :mad: :mad: It happened to me a few years back. I beefed up security to the nth degree after that I can tell you. It does work if you do it right too. I could give you the keys of my car and you would still have a hard time moving it and even if you did it would conk out down the road. I'm not so sure how you could fit it into a brand new car and not void the warranty though. That's the problem.
    Just to add another twist to the story,it's not the first time this has happened to him.Had another Honda stolen on him about a year ago under very similar circumstances.Bad luck or what ?
    Lightning does strike twice .:mad:
    Yes it does. I remember reading before that if you're burgled or have a car stolen once the chances of a repeat performance often by the same worthless scum are much higher. Psychological I suppose, the first time's more difficult as they're not sure what's what, the second time is far easier.

I second what The tax man suggested. It may be in some underground car park. A friend got his Audi TT back that way when an eagle eyed pensioner spotted that it didn't belong there. Though that's usually done when they think the car may have a tracker in it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

That would be wrong. Aggravated burglary is where the burglar has a firearm or explosive in his possession while committing the offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maidhc wrote:
    That would be wrong. Aggravated burglary is where the burglar has a firearm or explosive in his possession while committing the offence.

But... if they whacked you one with the hammer it would be GBH or ABH surely?

Well I'm no law expert so i can't argue the semantics.
    maidhc wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote:
    But... if they whacked you one with the hammer it would be GBH or ABH surely?

It would of course. The aggravating factor in aggravated burglary is having an offensive weapon... e.g. it need not be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, did your mate not have a house alarm?

The best deterrent is to get a dog. Our dog stays in the house at night and growls at me if I come into the room when it's dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I can only say i am genuinely sorry for your mates bad luck. I drive a nice exotic sportsbike. I keep it in an alarmed garage. Two weeks or so back... i was on the stillorgan dual carriageway and noticed I was being followed home by a white transit and some dodgy looking lads in a Beemer 5 series.
    For what its worth i dont normally speed on the bike. I drive relatively sanely.. or at least i try to. Anyway... having gotten as far as templeogue and still seeing the same cars follow me, i went through a housing estate and noticed the same guys behind me. So i went up to the m50. again same guys in car and van. So as soon as i hit the m50 i opened the throttle and left them for dust. I pulled off again at dundrum and rang the gardai. The white van had been seen in the sandyford area after a spate of bike thefts.
    Its a very very sad state of affairs when you work your butt off trying to earn and pay for something nice like a car or a bike and some scum piece of crap trys to rob you of it.
    The thing is... I've done martial arts for a bit. However no amount of martial arts will do you any good if somebody attacks you with a gun, boiling water, syringe etc... Better off not doing the macho **** (lets be honest we all think we're jason bourne) and just give them what they want. I know a lad that had boiling water (they took the pot and boiled it in his own kitched and then went up to the bedroom) thrown over him. He was told, give us your keys or your missus will get the other pot of water. Sad thing is with our lack of prisons, these guys will be in and out in no time.

edit: not sure if any body saw the late late last friday. It was heart breaking to hear so many victims of violent crime. If anything would convince you not to resist some of those stories would.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The best deterrent is to get a dog. Our dog stays in the house at night and growls at me if I come into the room when it's dark.
    I agree with the dog part. Have a big hairy toothy cantankerous one myself. Even small dogs will alert you. I've read a couple of times that a dog is the biggest deterrent to scum.
    I drive a nice exotic sportsbike. I keep it in an alarmed garage. Two weeks or so back... i was on the stillorgan dual carriageway and noticed I was being followed home by a white transit and some dodgy looking lads in a Beemer 5 series......
    Bloody hell.:eek: Sadly not the first I've heard of that sorta thing.
    Its a very very sad state of affairs when you work your butt off trying to earn and pay for something nice like a car or a bike and some scum piece of crap trys to rob you of it.
    Very true. Jesus I do hate scum like that and that's all they are scum. I remember an old thread here where a chap had his only mode of transport, his micra stolen. A micra for fúck sake. Makes my blood boil. I'm not aggresive by nature but I don't like to think what I would do if.....
    The thing is... I've done martial arts for a bit. However no amount of martial arts will do you any good if somebody attacks you with a gun, boiling water, syringe etc... Better off not doing the macho **** (lets be honest we all think we're jason bourne) and just give them what they want.
    So true. I remember watching a programme on burglary, fighting back etc on the BBC and they interviewed a guy who was one of the martial arts instructors for the SAS. Had been in the regiment for over ten years and he got surprised and mugged going home one night. Now special forces guys could put you or I in hospital with a careless flick of their eyebrows and he trains them FFS! What hope have ordinary people. His advice was to try and get out of the situation any way possible. In any case even if you made James Bond look like a wuss and beat the living crap out of them, the repercussions to you, your family would not be worth thinking about and that's beyond how the law would regard you.
    Sad thing is with our lack of prisons, these guys will be in and out in no time.
    Yea they have little to lose and a lot to gain.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

If you physicaly injure your attacker by your means of self defense technically he could sue you for it. It's a little silly really when you think about it. But the victim becomes the bad guy in alot of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

If you physicaly injure your attacker by your means of self defense technically he could sue you for it. It's a little silly really when you think about it. But the victim becomes the bad guy in alot of circumstances.

I would be more concerned about the scumbags friends and family taking things into their own hands to get even with you. These people have no respect or regard for other people / property. They would make your life a living hell.

His alarm was on but did'nt go off.Why,i dont know.They forced the bathroom window which is very small but not small enough to stop a skinny little car thieving fcuk getting in. (maybe they brought a little kid with them for such occasions?)
    Oh.He has a dog which was in the kitchen but kindly kept quiet throughout !

Any update on getting a reg number?? Too many blue civics out there.

Sometimes there can be a good outcome.....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=277034(page 4)

Any update on getting a reg number?? Too many blue civics out there.

Sometimes there can be a good outcome.....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=277034(page 4)
    Got the reg lads.

07 D 6307

Keep an eye out,ya never know.
    Thanks to everybody who showed intrest.

Great stuff. Will take note and have in van. Work northside myself and tend to be in and out of apartment underground car parks. I know of one which had a good few cars stripped and up on blocks in it, then the car park was set alight.

I can only say i am genuinely sorry for your mates bad luck. I drive a nice exotic sportsbike. I keep it in an alarmed garage. Two weeks or so back... i was on the stillorgan dual carriageway and noticed I was being followed home by a white transit and some dodgy looking lads in a Beemer 5 series.
    For what its worth i dont normally speed on the bike. I drive relatively sanely.. or at least i try to. Anyway... having gotten as far as templeogue and still seeing the same cars follow me, i went through a housing estate and noticed the same guys behind me. So i went up to the m50. again same guys in car and van. So as soon as i hit the m50 i opened the throttle and left them for dust. I pulled off again at dundrum and rang the gardai. The white van had been seen in the sandyford area after a spate of bike thefts.
    The thing is... I've done martial arts for a bit. However no amount of martial arts will do you any good if somebody attacks you with a gun, boiling water, syringe etc... Better off not doing the macho **** (lets be honest we all think we're jason bourne) and just give them what they want. I know a lad that had boiling water (they took the pot and boiled it in his own kitched and then went up to the bedroom) thrown over him. He was told, give us your keys or your missus will get the other pot of water. Sad thing is with our lack of prisons, these guys will be in and out in no time.

edit: not sure if any body saw the late late last friday. It was heart breaking to hear so many victims of violent crime. If anything would convince you not to resist some of those stories would.

At least you made a note of the registrations to report to the Guards so that they could log it on the pulse in case those guys strike again. You did didn't you?

Thinking myself about getting one of those gsm gps trackers for a new car I'm getting. Thing is though I don't know how the gps can work without being somewhere visible. GSM can be hidden and tracked if you are in the uk but I wonder if you went to the guards and said my car is stolen but there is a gsm tracker on this number in it would they be able to do anything about it unless of course it was a joe o'reilly type crime....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

At least you made a note of the registrations to report to the Guards so that they could log it on the pulse in case those guys strike again. You did didn't you?

He was on a high powered bike trying to shake off 2 vehicles that were behind him. If I was in his bike boots I would have done my best to shake them off also, I doubt I would have had the time to look over my shoulder long enough to get 2 different regs at speed. When **** like that happens, self preservation kicks in and you want to put as much distance between you and the scumbags as possible.

skibum wrote:
    He was on a high powered bike trying to shake off 2 vehicles that were behind him. If I was in his bike boots I would have done my best to shake them off also, I doubt I would have had the time to look over my shoulder long enough to get 2 different regs at speed. When **** like that happens, self preservation kicks in and you want to put as much distance between you and the scumbags as possible.

That's nothing compare to some of the guys on bike doing middle lane dodging at 120 on the M50. He had the presence of mind to figure out that they were following him into estates and knew hew he could easily dodge them.

My point though is that we expect the gaurds to automatically catch scumbags but in reality the only way they do it is either by luck or the public helps them.

• Advertisement

Good news.:) The Civic has been found today out in Blanchardstown hospital staff car park.No visible damage.Eagle eyed security guard became suspicous after it didn't move for the last week.Rang the gardai and they confirmed it was stolen.It's been examined tomorrow and he should have it back for the weekend:D .
    HAPPY DAYS!!Lesson learned i'd say.
    Fair play to the security man!:D :D Buy that man a pint !
    Good things do happen to good people sometimes !
    Thats karma.

Advertisement