Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punkbuster problems

Options
  • 16-09-2007 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Basically what i'm experiencing is every time i join a server, i almost immediately get kicked, say after about 20 seconds, saying that pnkbstrB.exe failed to initialise. Anyone else experience this problem and have any solution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I noticed this after not playing the game for awhile aswell .

Do a manual update of punkbuster .

Step 1: Download THIS! (dont worry, its an official program from the punkbuster webby)

Step 2: Put the .exe in the pb folder of BF2, (C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\pb).

Step 3: Run the .exe then select BF2 from the drop down menu and choose check for updates. (any updates will download in front of your very eyes in the pb folder)

Step 4: Try the game

"Check for Updates" needs to be done every time you want to play BF2. To make things simple, make a shourtcut on your desktop to "pbsetup" OR the "pb" folder itself for quicker access to the exe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

which .exe file should i be moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

The one you downloaded when you clicked "THIS" in my first post .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If Jonski's suggestion doesn't work then also download pbsvc.exe to reinstall and test the services.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Hi guys, the other solution if the pbsetup fails is to go and download security file (.htm) directly from www.evenbalance.com - Place it in your BF2/pb folder and off you go.

Also the new PB uses 2 .exe process in memory, windows defender apparently causes problems with this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Im getting this a lot in 2142 not noticed it much in BF2 but I havent played a lot of BF2 of late. I tried the PB update program but someone did say to me to try manually update. Ill try that later whem im home.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Im getting this a lot in 2142 not noticed it much in BF2 but I havent played a lot of BF2 of late. I tried the PB update program but someone did say to me to try manually update. Ill try that later whem im home.

The update program won't always sort the services out.

I dident have it in my 2142 PB folder so im adding it in there and trying it out. I dident think It mattered what folder I had the PB exe in?

Well I did all that above and managed to stay online for about 3 hours and got disconnected, said somthing about cant send packets so that could have been the fault of IBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Basically what i'm experiencing is every time i join a server, i almost immediately get kicked, say after about 20 seconds, saying that pnkbstrB.exe failed to initialise. Anyone else experience this problem and have any solution

I had that problem too. It turns out that it was blocked by my firewall. I allowed it access to the internet and the problem was solved.

• Advertisement

It seems to have been fixed there was a new PB release last week and since that ive hardly had a problem, must have been an issue with the last release.

Advertisement