Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lying mechanic?

Options
  • 16-09-2007 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

In early summer I got a service and they recommended changing the automatic transmission fluid. He showed me the fluid and it looked dark, but what do I know? Anyway, I went ahead and got it done and then a few weeks back I took it to another place for another regular oil change. And THEY recommended I get the auto transmission fluid changed as well.

Is it possible the first lads charged me for it but just didn't bother doing it?
    Is it possible the second place is just making the recommendation up chancing their arm?

How long should the automatic transmissions fluid remain bright red before turning brownish?

Is there a likelihood that both places are telling the truth and my car just killed the hell out of the fluid that was just put in it? It runs fine so I doubt that's the case.

What should I do? Do I have any comeback on the first place if they didn't do the work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

did you tell the second place that the first place supposedly did the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cantdecide wrote:
    My thoughts exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

new oil soils relatively quickly so it may be hard to prove they didnt change it first time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ATF should keep its lighter tone for a most of its life.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

cantdecide wrote:
    Unfortunately not. I probably should have, but I wasn't too impressed overall with the place and English wasn't the guy's first language and I was in a bit of a hurry :/

Should I confront the first place with what the second place said and show them that the ATF is a bit brown (I'll check it myself tomorrow or something, to make sure)?

Thanks for that info, Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

What is the car?

The oil could get dark pretty quickly, especially if there is higher mileage on the car, and, unless the first garage flushed the system there would have been some old oil remaining which also would darken the new oil.

It sounds possible to me that the first place did change the oil.

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

Dont go throwing knives until your seriously sure they did not do it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

It's a 93,000 mile '99 Mazda Protege (323).

I wasn't thinking of throwing knives, just mentioning it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mike65 wrote:
    ATF should keep its lighter tone for a most of its life.

Mike.

I'll 2nd this. I changed my ATF at 51,000 miles and the new stuff was identical in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

I changed the old, discoloured power steering fluid (ATF) in my car, due to a leak and the new stuff became discoloured very quickly, presumably due to contamination from residue left by the old stuff. so maybe the job was done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hifive wrote:
    I changed the old, discoloured power steering fluid (ATF) in my car, due to a leak and the new stuff became discoloured very quickly, presumably due to contamination from residue left by the old stuff. so maybe the job was done.
    That will happen with ATF when used in power steering as it's much more exposed to the air. Not so when it's in a gearbox... it's pretty much sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I know I wouldn't buy or recommend an auto in which the ATF wasn't red. Does it smell burnt? Was the filter changed at the same time? It should have been.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It could be that the first garage recommended doing it one service ahead of the recommended schedule (or maybe the car wasn't being serviced spot on the recommended mileage), and the second garage won't have been able to see that it was done and therefore also, correctly, recommended it.

Both garages are possibly right to recommend it, as the second may not have been able to see that it was done and should have been told.

Just my 2c.

Fey! wrote:
    It could be that the first garage recommended doing it one service ahead of the recommended schedule (or maybe the car wasn't being serviced spot on the recommended mileage), and the second garage won't have been able to see that it was done and therefore also, correctly, recommended it.

Both garages are possibly right to recommend it, as the second may not have been able to see that it was done and should have been told.

Just my 2c.
    Sorry, Fey, but did you read the other posts in the thread? ATF should stay red.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

It should stay red for a few 10's of thousands of miles, then brown and then black.

It should stay red for a few 10's of thousands of miles, then brown and then black.
    Goes against everything I have read/learned.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

It is possible to flush a gearbox. If this was done and if there is no problem with the box then the fluid should still be red. If there is a problem with the box or if the gearbox was not flushed the fluid will loose its colour very quickly.
    Draining the box does not remove all the ATF. There is still a torque converter full in there.

How many garages have the equipment to flush the gearbox and so leave the fluid red afterwards?

Advertisement