Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put Electricity into Garden Shed

Options
  • 16-09-2007 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I have built a concrete blocks shed with proper insulation etc. I know want to put electricity out into it. I will do all the donkey work so as not to have to get an electrician to do too much.

I need some advice on this as I'm weary of dealing with electricity at this level. Here are my questions:
    1. I want to put a seperate fuseboard in my shed but do I need to bring a wire from the current fuseboard inside the house and if so,can you give me some pointers on how to do this.
    2. I will use armoured cable outside, what is the exact name and spec of the cable I need?
    3. Do I need to get an electrician to certify this work for house insurance reasons?My brother is a mechanical engineer and handy with this type of thing so I'm thinking to get him to do the wiring but get an electrician to certify or is there any need for an electrician at all?

Thanks in advance.

GF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Hi,

I have built a concrete blocks shed with proper insulation etc. I know want to put electricity out into it. I will do all the donkey work so as not to have to get an electrician to do too much.

I need some advice on this as I'm weary of dealing with electricity at this level. Here are my questions:
    1. I want to put a seperate fuseboard in my shed but do I need to bring a wire from the current fuseboard inside the house and if so,can you give me some pointers on how to do this.
    2. I will use armoured cable outside, what is the exact name and spec of the cable I need?
    3. Do I need to get an electrician to certify this work for house insurance reasons?My brother is a mechanical engineer and handy with this type of thing so I'm thinking to get him to do the wiring but get an electrician to certify or is there any need for an electrician at all?

Thanks in advance.

GF
    The pertinent questions for sizing the cable are what load do you expect to have in the shed and how far from the fuseboard is the shed?

Do you plan re-making The Green Mile movie :D

Why do you see the need for a separate fuse board?

The cable u need is SWA
    http://www.rivval.com/acatalog/POWER_CABLE_-_TYPE__-_Steel_Wire_Armoured_Cable__S.html

I dont belive u need it certified: the certification process relates to the initial house wiring before the esb gets connected up

Depending on where the existing board is situated it may be difficult enough to lay the cable out of sight: u should put a circuit breaker on it suitable for both the expected load and outside conditions, just in case u plug in a lawnmower etc from the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

ircoha wrote:
    I dont belive u need it certified: the certification process relates to the initial house wiring before the esb gets connected up

If you are putting the shed or shed contents on your house insurance, you will need to get it certified, otherwise if there was a fire, you would not be covered for any contents in the shed. (depending on your insurance company)

Its only a few quid and worth it.

Advertisement