Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a cycling club

Options
  • 16-09-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I normally head out on the bike once or twice a week when training for triathlons however I think i'd be better off cycling with a group as I think 1) i'd push myself harder and 2) there is safety in numbers.

Can someone tell me of a suitable club in the swords area and how do I go about joining (when's the best time etc.)

Thanks in advance
    Clem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

there is a club in swords, check out www.cyclingireland.com for contact details.

generally as the season winds down, now is the best time to join because weekend spins are casual (as riders are tired), and winter training (intense) doesnt start for a few weeks. this makes it comfortable for beginners to settle into a pace or distance they are not familiar with.

if you do triathlon you may consider removing you're tri/aero bars, as they are commonly not welcomed among clubs.

i am a member of the dublin wheelers, we cycle every sat morning from santry and soon every sunday too, but joining swords may suit you better.

...and generally you can show up at a clubs meeting spot before they head off, the lads will always welcome new riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ba wrote:
    if you do triathlon you may consider removing you're tri/aero bars, as they are commonly not welcomed among clubs.
    Please explain. :confused:

when using tri/aero bars, it takes longer to reach the brakes.
    and when cycling in a tight bunch, there is no room for error or for those slow on the levers.

i noticed nearly everybody keeps a finger on the brake lever, just in case, and its handy for controlling speed when your front wheel is about an inch from the man in front. hence tri/aero bars not welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

You don't necessarily have to use them

this is true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RiddleCon

Swords have a number of spins suitable for all standards. There are contact details for the club secretary on the websire www.swordscc.com and there is a forum as well. There are alot of triathleetes in the club already so we're used to tribars! just dont use them if you're in front of me :eek:
    There are spins on thurs , sat and sunday am. Saturday and Sunday there are a number of different spins, a touring and racing group on sat and 2-4 different ones on a sunday althought the sunday one dont get going til Oct.
    During the summer there is also a club league which is a good way to get into racing.

Good info RiddleCon...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clem

tri bars won't be a problem......i don't have them

cheers lads

Email to me from Bernie of Swords Cycling Club yesterday:

Just to let you know that i will be taking two spins for beginners and those returning to the bike on Sunday mornings, Sept 30th and Oct 7th from the Lord Mayors in Swords at 9am. There will be a stop for coffee and no one will be left behind if feeling tired or if anyone punctures. This will be an opportunity to meet other beginners and possibly swap numbers and arrange training spins together over the winter. What you need: Comfortable and warm bike clothes, a helmet, a roadworthy bike, a water bottle and a bar for the back pocket, some money for coffee. You do not have to be a member of Swords CC to come along to this spin. This spin will depart rain or sun! PS tell your friends!
    All experienced riders welcome to help!! P.S. tell your friends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I reckon I might pop along to one of those meets

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

this sounds quite good, any idea what distance the spin will be?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Orwell Wheelers (Dundrum) are doing something similar, sunday mornings, starting either Dundrum or Phoenix park on alternate Sundays (9:30), I'm thinking of giving it a go. Prob. stop for an Orange Mochaccino instead of coffee, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bikergal

this sounds quite good, any idea what distance the spin will be?

I went along to a few of these spins last year, the distance depended on the ability of the group etc. If there are huge differences in abilites, there will be a split in the group. Distance is probably between 30 and 50k.

Those swords spins are on the northside, so dont get ur hopes up about an orange mocchaccino... a cup of tea would be about it.

Tri bars are not much good in a bunch if there's a crash, would not like to land on a pair of them.... as far as i know thats the reason why are they are not v popular in bunch spins....

i find less and less time to cycle after work with approaching darkness.
    so sunday spins with the club will compensate for this.

the dublin wheeler spins usually near 100km. the group splits near the end depending on routes home.

As these spins are for first timers and those returning to the bike, they will be short. There are other spins with Swords on Thurs, Sat and Sun mornings that cater for everyone from tourers to A racers, distances ranging from 60k to 90k depending on where you have to cycle home to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Has anyone got any contact details for anyone doing similar spins in the Waterford area ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Junior wrote:
    Has anyone got any contact details for anyone doing similar spins in the Waterford area ?
    Sean Kelly? ;)
    Dunno of any clubs, but there is some great routes, up through the South Leinster Way around Graignamanagh, to Carrick on Suir and an easy ride back past Kilmeaden.

Junior wrote:

you could try these guys...
    http://www.comeraghcc.com/

I think one of the lads who posts around here is a member. He'll probably be along soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

King Raam wrote:
    you could try these guys...
    http://www.comeraghcc.com/

I think one of the lads who posts around here is a member. He'll probably be along soon

Cheers Raam. I presume it's Quigs your referring to ? Went looking at gyms today, have to try do something with myself, from a guy who was 10 stone at 21 and riding three times a week to a guy pushing 13 stone now at 31 and unable to contemplate cycling

who's going along to the Swords spin on Sunday?

Can't go this Sunday but am going to try and make the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

yes I hope to go sunday - cu there ?

If I can repair my puncture, I'll be there.
    Having a bad time with punctures at the moment

so how many from boards.ie are going out this sunday? 2? cos if i join swords CC that'll make it 3. hmm. could be a good laugh.

sure the more the merrier

Will be there too. Hope the weather stays ok! There is also a get together on Wed eve in the carnegie court hotel at 8pm, for anyone interested in joining the club, or wanting to find out some more info about the club.

where do they meet?

• Advertisement

meeting at the lord mayors, swords, at 9am this sunday next sunday

Advertisement