Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help ..

• 16-09-2007 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm soon to be getting a plasma tv and I've come a cropper about what to do with my sky box, DVD player and Surround system. I've no idea where to put them. Do I buy a unit that goes onto the wall for them to sit on, or what?

I've attached a pic of where the tv is gonna go (basically where the mirror is) so if anyone has any ideas of what would be the best layout let me know.

Cheers.

p.s. I don't know how I'm gonna be able to conceal the wire eitehr so help with that would be appreciated (it's a solid wall - as you might have guessd form seeing the fireplace. ... also the top of the manltepiece it 4 ft high in case that help you out).

Hygro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I think the general advice here would be don't put the TV over the fireplace. You'll only get a sore neck from watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

This is my set up. I have no problems with the hight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Cooooooooool :)

Uncle Sam, where's all your wires, where's your system?

That's the exact set up I want :)

Ya, hiding the wires and gear makes a home cinema really shine. The first thing is to make sure it is not too high for you. Stare at that mirror for five minutes . If your neck is not hurting your good to go. Before you start, your going to need longer cables and the wall bracket. Get them all on e-bay. Don't be put off, it's good quality and you will save your self a lot of money. Look for e-tailer on e-bay I highly recommend them. Buy all the cables that will go with set even if your not going to use them. You don't want to be adding them later. Next, are you any good at DIY? Get help from someone who is. I had my father in law help me. With my set up I had to cut a hole threw the block of the chimney at angle. The cables come out the side of the chimney breast and then down and into cabinet(the one with the lamp on it). I found the cabinet at Casys. Hiding the speaker wires for the the surround sound I just used a stanley knife to cut little trenches into the plaster walls and poly fill it in. My wife really freaked out when she saw me cutting the walls up.
    What flat screen are you looking to get?
    Anyway, post pictures when your done. I would love to see what it looks like.

Cheers.

I bought the Panasonic TH42PV70 this afternoon. Actually I bought everything basically. The TV, a tilting wall bracket and the delivery and installation as well. Cost me just over 1800 for the lot.

I didn't get any cables or anything yet, as I don't know exactly the lenght I will need to go from the TV to the sound system, sky box, dvd etc. what size cable did you buy as I reckon I will need the same?

My girlfriend wants the cabinet we get to go on the left hand side of the fireplace (basically she wants the sounds system etc to go in a cabinet and the fish tank to go on top), so it'll be like a mirror image of yours.

I assume that when the guy comes to install it he will have some knowledge of hiding wires etc, but I'd like to use your set up as the template of what I want. I don't want him to just put boxing around the wires or anything, as that would just be sh*t.

Did you cut the hole in the fireplace at a downward angle? I'm trying to get my head around what you did exactly :)

Yeah, I have to get teh surround system moved also ... I wonder if that installer will do that too ...?

Anyway I've to get a couple of sockets installed and the sky wire extended by a few feet before I can call the shop and tell them I'm ready to have the tv installed. I might give them a grilling about wanting teh wire hidden etc beforehand (but the guy in the shop said the installer was a real pro and that he wouldn't do a cr*p job ... here's hopin!!).

Hopefully it won't be later than the end of the month before it's all finished!!

• Advertisement

That's a nice plasma you bought. I've got a Pioneer 427XD.
    The cable length is 3 meters. The hole is cut on the right side at an angle and going down a little bit. The installer is going to need a kango hammer and a core masonry bit. It wont be a quick in and out job for him. I would ask if he is up to it. You could always hire out the tools and cut the hole yourself. It wasn't that hard to do just messy.

Cheers, it took me long enough to decide which TV I wanted!!

So each cable you have going from the tv to whatever piece of equipment you have is 3 meters long?

Is the power cable from the TV the same length?

The power cord I had to modify myself. It's the same as a kettle lead so it wasn't hard to do.

Advertisement