Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows is shutting down... XP - no error report.

• 16-09-2007 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Windows XP.

I have the Automatic Restart on shutdown error turned off.

I just got back to find the blue screen with the message, "Windows is shutting down...".

Unfortunately, there was no error message that I would have expected, given that I had the Automatic Restart turned off. So, I haven't a clue what the problem is. The computer is almost a year old. It is used only for image editing (I am typing this message on another machine.) and nothing else.

Is there a log of the error stored somewhere that I could access?

Also, how can I reduce the list of Start-Up items in the Task Manager? I wouldn't mind being able to run this computer a bit tighter - starting up only what is absolutely necessary.

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

To answer your second question, Start>Run> Type msconfig and hit enter, the startup tab lets you disable stuff from not starting up, Not sure bout the BSOD on start but maybe try a repair install of xp? Or try using last known good configeration when prompted or safemore, they may work if its a driver issiue

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

start > run > serviveces.msc

MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH WHAT YOU'RE TURNING OFF BEFORE YOU DO IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You can look in Eventviewer and it may let you know what is causing the problem.

Right click on "My Computer", click "manage". Go to event viewer, and check under Application & System at the time it crashes. A windows repair is also a good option as you will still have your programs & files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Also, how can I reduce the list of Start-Up items in the Task Manager? I wouldn't mind being able to run this computer a bit tighter - starting up only what is absolutely necessary.

uninstall all mcaffee and norton software

then

start
    run
    msconfig and press enter
    goto the startup tab and untick everything (except dell quickset on dell laptops)
    goto the services tab and tick hide m$ services, then untick everything
    reboot pc

install a good light free antivirus (or buy nod32), and make sure xp firewall is on

reboot again and when you go into taskmanager you should have about 30 processes running and about 200mb ram in use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

mukki,

Bang on! (Well almost! ;-) )23 processes in Task Manager. 191Mb in use.

Actually, I've never had McAfee or Norton's. Always used the (brilliant and free!) AVG on both my machines and I love it. Never had a problem with it.

Many thanks for that.

Thanks to everyone else who replied too.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

The random shutdown could be due to overheating. Is the back of your computer exposed or covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

mathew wrote:
    The random shutdown could be due to overheating. Is the back of your computer exposed or covered?

bet its overheating too espicailly if its a laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

The problem hasn't reoccurred.

It's a desktop. Plenty of room around it. Plenty of air circulation too.

That said, you may still be right. But, it's frequently on for an entire day number crunching very large Photoshop files. That's all I use it for.

On the issue of Photoshop........

Having reduced the number of Startup items, I found that I couldn't open PS. It wanted me to reinstall. I think it may be a serial number/code number that is one of the Startup items. Anyway, I selected all again and no problem with PS opening.

But, I can figure out which one of the Startup items is Photoshop's. There is only one Adobe item and that seems to be Reader.

D.

one other thing........if it was overheating, why did it wait until Shutdown? Why didn't it fail while I was working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Dinarius wrote:

Having reduced the number of Startup items, I found that I couldn't open PS. It wanted me to reinstall. I think it may be a serial number/code number that is one of the Startup items. Anyway, I selected all again and no problem with PS opening.

But, I can figure out which one of the Startup items is Photoshop's. There is only one Adobe item and that seems to be Reader.

D.

Take a screen shot of your start-up items or write them down and we might be able to help you figure them out.

Advertisement