Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

204 Ruger

Options
  • 16-09-2007 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    is there anyone out there shooting with a 204 Ruger. Had a look at one recently and can get it at a good price. I want it for foxes and general varminting (Irish style).

The other option I was looking at was a 222. I'll be staright the whole restricted/not restricted (will it be won't it be )debate around 223 has me worried.

Thoughts will be welcome, The ballistics on this round (204) is impressive. Also is it loud i.e will I need a moderator.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Folks,
    is there anyone out there shooting with a 204 Ruger. Had a look at one recently and can get it at a good price. I want it for foxes and general varminting (Irish style).

The other option I was looking at was a 222. I'll be staright the whole restricted/not restricted (will it be won't it be )debate around 223 has me worried.

Thoughts will be welcome, The ballistics on this round (204) is impressive. Also is it loud i.e will I need a moderator.

Many thanks

I am a 204 shooter. Have been for a while, CZ 527, sporter, american, lovely shooter, great round, have a T4 Reflex on it, really tames it down, had 220 swift, 17 rem, 223 and I think 204 is business !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Many thanks for the advice how much is the ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Hi Cavan,
    Have a look at the following thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055095320

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Did you ever feel like a kid in a toy shop......so much choice:rolleyes:

Many thanks for the advice how much is the ammo

€23.00 per 20 ferderal premium, excellent stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

American Eagle 50 Grain Hallow Point, 12 Euro For 20, Excellent Stuff Too. !!

Keelan wrote:
    American Eagle 50 Grain Hallow Point, 12 Euro For 20, Excellent Stuff Too. !!

In 204 ? haven't come accross that stuff. thought 45 grain was heaviest bullet in 204

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rabbit hunter

€23.00 per 20 ferderal premium, excellent stuff

hello,
    im 17 and have been hunting with a friend for the past year and a half,im now wanting to get a rifle of my own,i hear the cz are a very good maker.but am open to all makers.
    can anyone please give me an appropiate maker and calibre for me that would be mostly hunting rabbits but i would also be wanting to take down the odd fox aswell.

am open to a new and used rifle,if you are selling anything that fits my prescription im willing to spend 250-425 on a rifle plus assesories.
    thanks

Rabbit and odd fox 22 WMR

Rabbit and odd fox 22 WMR

what exact gun and scope would i need,what distance would it be able to shoot..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Having had the .22wmr i would recomend the .17hmr its just alot more accurate and easy to shoot which i think is better than the slighlty more knock down power you get.

Ideal not very expensive set up
    CZ varmint .17hmr second hang
    SAK moderator (not essentail but makes a good difference)
    A hawke scope is very good value something like 4-14x or 6-24x

Having had the .22wmr i would recomend the .17hmr its just alot more accurate and easy to shoot which i think is better than the slighlty more knock down power you get.

Ideal not very expensive set up
    CZ varmint .17hmr second hang
    SAK moderator (not essentail but makes a good difference)
    A hawke scope is very good value something like 4-14x or 6-24x

what price difference is there between .22wmr and .17hmr

thanks again for yer advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

what price difference is there between .22wmr and .17hmr

thanks again for yer advice

No difference in rifle price, the 17 hmr ammo is approx €1.50 dearer than .22 magnum stuff per 50 rd box

Jonty wrote: »
    No difference in rifle price, the 17 hmr ammo is approx €1.50 dearer than .22 magnum stuff per 50 rd box

My local dealers 22 WMR approx €12 (hollow points), 22 WMR ballistic tips are approx €19, 17 HMR €19 all per 50

..... .17hmr its just alot more accurate and easy to shoot which i think is better than the slighlty more knock down power you get.....

fair point, I have had both also, still reckon 22 WMR is better if foxes are a possibility. WMR will give better range on foxes too IMO, approx 120 yards, 17HMR limited to approx 80 yards (on fox)

17 HMR will give better range on rabbits by a long way, extra 50-60 yards at least depending on shooters ability

Advertisement