Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying first car - Advice sought

Options
  • 16-09-2007 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Well I'm buying my first car. Taking lessons at the moment and I'm 24. Provisional licence.

From talking with friends etc I have become interested in the following makes and models. Based on the information below can someone give me some advice / suggestions / recommendations / tips etc....thanks (including past experiences, what to avoid etc)

Budget €1500-€5500 (includes cost of car only, not insurance or tax)
    Engine size 1.0-1.3

Makes/Models =

Fiat Punto
    Ford Fiesta / Ka
    Renault Clio
    Toyota Yaris / Starlet
    Citroen Saxo
    Nissan Micra

Low mileage a must and nothing older than 2000

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

They are high cost, low value city runabouts ponderer and they're usually favoured by those who are determined to think they are saving money when they're probably not. I don't know how many times I have demonstrated this to people.

If you are a city based housewife that needs a shopping trolley, then these cars are fine, but, It's far more important to look at your usage. Are you travelling medium to long distances, at night, on bad back roads? Do you have a family or any requirement for load lugging. Do you or anyone using it have a bad back? Are you particularly tall?

Most are unforgiving to drive and low spec. Insurance has relaxed in years past and since you obviously have money some to spend, don't be afraid to spend a just a little more to run it in order to save a fortune to buy it. Motoring isn't a race to the lowest cost. Like anything else, value has to count, too

This way, you get a real car instead of a learner car for the same money. It's only a little more commitment than the little ones- trust me, I'm a car nut.

Try this one,
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=779390

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

A "car nut" recommends a Vectra. The worst car on the road.

Unreal.

For the OP

My suggestion is a 5 door Honda Civic around year 2000. Fabulous engineering and a real car.

The others you mention, probably least hassle would be Micra or Starlet. I personally wouldn't want a Clio but some swear by them

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cantdecide wrote:

@cantdecide, have you got any potential conflict of interest regarding anything motoring? Are you in the trade? Have you any association with Phoenix Motors? Please declare any interest now

It is most likely I am completely wrong, but your endorsement of a 7 year old Vectra for well over €5k has triggered all my alarm bells into a screaming rage. Sorry if my alarm bells are wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I personally wouldn't want a Clio but some swear by them

I'm one. Bought one new in 00 and never regretted it, It was on another planet comfort and driveing wise to the 99 micra the missus had at the time. The car never let me down once and is still going strong in the hands of my mother. My cousin is on his 2nd (02 and now an 07)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just posted a reply in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055151481 which you may be interested in.

For a first car, I reckon any learner should buy something at the bottom end of your price range.

Reason: you are most likely to damage it through your own fault in your first 10,000 miles of driving, through parking dings, misjudging gaps when passing pillars/entrances, minor traffic accidents etc.

Doing this to a car that cost you €1,500 is a lot less painful than doing it to a car that cost you €5,500!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement