Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I'm going to cry...

Options
  • 16-09-2007 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Well today I helped papu set up his watercooling, broken sata ports and DIMM slots aside it went pretty well. Now where am I going with this you might say?, well somewhere amidst the setting up I decided to remove the sinks from my 8800GTS's ram and mosfets because I need to use the stock cooler for a while, anyway while pulling these off (they were epoxied on stupid me:mad:) all came off cleanly except a sink on one of the vreg mosfets, it came off alright but a mosfet came with it:( :(:( . The contacts are just so small I don't think I'd be able to solder it back on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

have you tried using it yet??? thats so annoying...i was sh*ting myself taking off the stock cooler on my 8800gts cause i literally had to rip it off but everything was okay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

nibble wrote:
    Well today I helped papu set up his watercooling, broken sata ports and DIMM slots aside it went pretty well. Now where am I going with this you might say?, well somewhere amidst the setting up I decided to remove the sinks from my 8800GTS's ram and mosfets because I need to use the stock cooler for a while, anyway while pulling these off (they were epoxied on stupid me:mad:) all came off cleanly except a sink on one of the vreg mosfets, it came off alright but a mosfet came with it:( :(:( . The contacts are just so small I don't think I'd be able to solder it back on.

put the stock cooler back on and RMA it

L31mr0d wrote:
    put the stock cooler back on and RMA it

Nice;)

If you get away with that let me know i have some stuff i'd like to do the same with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

heh, would be good if this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Too bad nibble...

Just a small tip from my experience. When i want to remove a heatsink from a bga or from any chip first i blow hot air with my hair drier to it and then i dont pull it but i turn it slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Alright guys taking a good look at it I should be able to solder it back on but my god it's gonna be hard, it's unbelievably tiny. Failing that I'll try to RMA and if that doesn't work I'll have to fork out, I suppose:( . In theory the card should run at least in 2d mode without it because the phases are run in parallel ie there's two mosfets for each phase, that might be me being optomistic though. A lesson to all: Don't use thermal epoxy on anything, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

any news? A pic will help us.

Nothing done yet, I'm waiting on some thermal pads before I can test it so I haven't tried to solder it. It should work, I was lucky really it broke clean away at the solder joints the legs of the mosfet aren't even bent. I'll get a pic up in a few mins.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

How many contacts are on it?

Anti wrote:
    heh, would be good if this works.

lol, I don't think companies pay the money to do anything more than perform a visual check on the RMA'd hardware. I sent back a PSU to Antec before that i'd, brilliantly, drilled 2 obvious holes in and drilled right through the PCB on the inside, dislodging components that where rattling around inside. But I made sure not to break the little sticker that said "warrenty void if broken"

Got a replacement a week later ;) with an email appologising for my trouble

Also, seriously nibble, who USES thermal epoxy???

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote:
    lol, I don't think companies pay the money to do anything more than perform a visual check on the RMA'd hardware. I sent back a PSU to Antec before that i'd, brilliantly, drilled 2 obvious holes in and drilled right through the PCB on the inside, dislodging components that where rattling around inside. But I made sure not to break the little sticker that said "warrenty void if broken"

haha :D I find tar works better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

try to rma it, and if they dont take it then try to fix it yourself

L31mr0d wrote:

Idiots like me, it's just that the pads that came with the swiftech sinks wouldn't stick at all they'd literally just fall straight off.
    Anyway a pic:
    8800_broken_mosfet2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

looks nasty.

so whats ur new speced rig gona be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Joeface

well if u aint got it fixed , I offer to have it fix for you,

PM me and you can decide if u want to risk it or not

joe

Thats small but definitely doable get s nice small tip and a solder sucker and give it a shot...

But i would try rma it first, it wont stand out especially if the stock cooler is back on it

awhir wrote:
    looks nasty.

so whats ur new speced rig gona be :)
    Ahh nothing much different just a Q6600 and P5K Premium and a whole lot of new WC gear in a V2000:D .
    And I'll definately try and fix before I RMA I don't want all that hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

As mentioned already, that should be doable ... just get a nice tiny tip, a solder sucker, some nice thin solder wire. Keep the temperature as low as you can because high temps may cause the solder pads to come off the pcb. When I used to do fine work like this I used one of those little gas soldering irons, they usually come with small solder iron tips too

L31mr0d wrote:

Bought a board off asus and in a terrible watercooling accident completely fried it (talking visible water stains) so chanced my arm and told them the board wouldn't boot when i rma'd. They sent me a new one with an apology saying that the board wouldn't boot cause of the lack of a bios!!?? nevertheless new board and happy me:D

all they do i look for a the sticker and then bin it.

was takin to a lad at xbox and said my xbox contoller wasent worken(dog ate the cable :) ) he just said they just bin them and send ya a new contoller :D

• Advertisement

awhir wrote:
    all they do i look for a the sticker and then bin it.

was takin to a lad at xbox and said my xbox contoller wasent worken(dog ate the cable :) ) he just said they just bin them and send ya a new contoller :D
    That consoles me a bit if it doesn't work, anyway.

OK guys it seems to be working... well I just played CSS and FarCry for the last few hours. I won't tell you what's holding the mosfet in place ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

nibble wrote:
    I won't tell you what's holding the mosfet in place ;) .

:rolleyes: Ah go on :D

Ok.............. Loctite

deadly, can't believe it works

nibble wrote:
    Ok.............. Loctite

lol well thats never coming off.:D

good work bud.

Honestly I don't believe it either, I'm kinda just waiting for it to break. Hopefully that won't happen though :D .

Now adverts.ie or ebay quick while its working :p

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Now adverts.ie or ebay quick while its working :p
    :D:D:D I'm not that bad.

• Advertisement

nibble wrote: »
    Ok.............. Loctite

Note to self: Don't buy electronics off nibble ;)

Advertisement